So My Fiancee Talked me into a seahorse tank

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are making good progress. Your chiller looks like a chiller I had except mine was 3/4 hp. Your paint job is real nice, makes me wished I had painted mine. I have since replaced that chiller and its long gone.

OP
OP
mgoesma

mgoesma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are making good progress. Your chiller looks like a chiller I had except mine was 3/4 hp. Your paint job is real nice, makes me wished I had painted mine. I have since replaced that chiller and its long gone.

The chiller was pretty easy. I took the cover off and used an angle grinder with a paint stripping head to remove the pouter coat. Then I painted it with an automotive grade filler primer. I lightly sanded it and then did 3 coats of rust ilium hammered black paint. My fiance printed out the label for me.

OP
OP
mgoesma

mgoesma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over all drilling the tank was the worst part. It was my first time and extremely nerve racking. I watched a couple videos and over all it end great. The stand was the most time consuming just because I'm crazy obsessed with detail.

OP
OP
mgoesma

mgoesma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are braver than me. I have never drilled a tank, I use a HOB overflow. I have had very good luck with them and I have been using them for 10 years.

it really wasn't that bad. I looked up the tank online to see if the glass was tempered. I found that only the bottom was. I then ordered the bit and guide online (about $25 with the bulkhead). i used painters tape on the inside to catch the glass disc and i taped the guide on the outside with duct tape. i lightly clamped a hose to the tank so it would flow over where i was drilling. i turned it on fairly low. so i had a constant flow yet didn't soak me and the drill. Then started drilling i put no wait at all on the drill it took about 5 min to drill through bit went fairly smoothly. I tried to hold the drill steady during the drill and i took it out several times during the process to check the progress, rinse out the hole, and rest my arms lol. Over all it was much easier than i thought it would be.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mgoesma

mgoesma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a few things in.
IMAG0562.jpg
brs carbon reactor and the fittings/ tubing for the plumbing.
IMAG0560.jpg
rapid led moonlight kit.
IMAG0561.jpg
filter socks, epoxy for aqua scape, red pvc pipe, I also got PC fans for cooking the t5.
IMAG0559.jpg
u also got a brick of marine pure for my sump and some extra rubble rock. Hopping to get the rest of the Tonga beach next week.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mgoesma

mgoesma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I keep thinking I should get an apex jr to help control the temp and to have for notifications. I am trying to get over the cost. Any advice?

OP
OP
mgoesma

mgoesma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the last couple days I have installed the door to the cabinet. One was slightly warped and I'm thinking of remaking it. I also installed the overflow box and baffles in the sump. I think Saturday I'm going to order an apex jr.

RDA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interested to see how this progresses. I have a 50 gallon hex tank that I have recently been considering turning into a seahorse tank. I've always loved them and wanted to set up a tank for them, but haven't made the move yet. Right now I have larger fish to fry (about to be setting up my 100 gallon reef and moving my 20 gallon into it). So it will stay in the research stage for a while, but the hex is just sitting here dry calling out for some seahorses.

OP
OP
mgoesma

mgoesma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The next couple weeks should be fun. Just waiting for everything to come in. Finishing up my light now. Starting plumbing this weekend.

OP
OP
mgoesma

mgoesma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to give an update on m DIY T5.

I was looking for a cheap T5 but every decent one i could find was a few hundred dollars. The aquarium has an old T8 fixture currently so i thought why cant i just build it.
Parts list:
T8 housing - free had it
2 24 in t5 bulbs- free thank you WWC black Friday
aluminum reflective tape - $3
ballast - $25
2 pc fans - $6
2 pc fan grills - $4
t5 tumbstones - $2
rapid LED moonlight kit - $18
hardware - $10
total - $65 ish

i started by stripping the ballast and reflector from the hood. i also removed the switch.
i added some reflective tape to act as a reflector. Making sure to cut out through the air vents.
i then mounted the ballast on the back of the housing and drilled holes for the fans on each end.
I also replaced the power cord with a grounded cord.
IMAG0563.jpg

from there i ran the ballast wires to each end and secured them with reflective tape.
at this point i wired the power to the ballast.
i installed the 2 fans and ran a 12 transformer to power them.
IMAG0570.jpg

a view from the outside.
IMAG0572.jpg

just before i added the LED.
IMAG0566.jpg

I then added the moon lights.
IMAG0568.jpg

and mounted the LED driver.
IMAG0569.jpg

I covered all the wires with reflective tape.
This is where i am currently at. i still need to add the T5 toumbstones but im getting close. dang shipment is taking forever.

Please provide any feedback.
the fans draw air in across the lights and out the vents. T5 will be mounted offset on each end.

IMAG0571.jpg

IMAG0569.jpg

OP
OP
mgoesma

mgoesma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have also been doing some plumbing work.
I am using schedule 40 fittings and red PVC.
I made a manifold for the carbon reactor and the chiller so everything is driven off the one pump. i used ball valves for the manifold and a gate valve for the return. i also put a union ball valve on the drain. everything is 1 in PVC or 1/2 RO line.

IMAG0573.jpg
IMAG0574.jpg
IMAG0577.jpg
IMAG0579.jpg
IMAG0580.jpg
IMAG0583.jpg
IMAG0584.jpg
IMAG0586.jpg

Not quite done gluing yet but i'm getting close

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My goodness, it seems you know how to do everything. Everything looks good to me. How much flow do you think you will have coming out the return when it gets to the tank? The manifold and elbows will slow it down a fair bit. You can make up some flow with a powerhead though.

OP
OP
mgoesma

mgoesma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well there is about 4 ft of head pressure. according to the diagram i should have about 400 GPH then if i take away 25% for manifold. 300 GPH that would be about a 8 time turn over per hour. if i find this doesn't move enough water ill just get a DCT6000.
but i think it will work ok.
1423130660.png

I do have a powerhead on the way. From forms i was told it was seahorse safe.
Doesn't move a tone of water though. The primary reason for getting it is if the return pump goes out i want something to keep water movement.
It didn't hurt that it is red and back also. lol

PICO EVO-MAG POWERHEAD - 180 GPH
202180-Hydor-Koralia-Pico-Evo-Mag-Powerhead-grouped-b_1.jpg

OP
OP
mgoesma

mgoesma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to give an update on m DIY T5.

I was looking for a cheap T5 but every decent one i could find was a few hundred dollars. The aquarium has an old T8 fixture currently so i thought why cant i just build it.
Parts list:
T8 housing - free had it
2 24 in t5 bulbs- free thank you WWC black Friday
aluminum reflective tape - $3
ballast - $25
2 pc fans - $6
2 pc fan grills - $4
t5 tumbstones - $2
rapid LED moonlight kit - $18
hardware - $10
total - $65 ish

i started by stripping the ballast and reflector from the hood. i also removed the switch.
i added some reflective tape to act as a reflector. Making sure to cut out through the air vents.
i then mounted the ballast on the back of the housing and drilled holes for the fans on each end.
I also replaced the power cord with a grounded cord.
IMAG0563.jpg

from there i ran the ballast wires to each end and secured them with reflective tape.
at this point i wired the power to the ballast.
i installed the 2 fans and ran a 12 transformer to power them.
IMAG0570.jpg

a view from the outside.
IMAG0572.jpg

just before i added the LED.
IMAG0566.jpg

I then added the moon lights.
IMAG0568.jpg

and mounted the LED driver.
IMAG0569.jpg

I covered all the wires with reflective tape.
This is where i am currently at. i still need to add the T5 toumbstones but im getting close. dang shipment is taking forever.

Please provide any feedback.
the fans draw air in across the lights and out the vents. T5 will be mounted offset on each end.

IMAG0571.jpg

IMAG0569.jpg

my only regret here is not figuring out a way to eliminate the power cord for the fan. i wish i would have thought of a way to use the T5 power cord.

tj w

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great job, I only wish I had the DIY skills. I'll be following progress. Seems like you've thought this out well. Look forward to seeing the ponies!

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back