OP
OP
mgoesma

mgoesma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With seahorses I would monitor orp. With the amount of WCs you will be doing in a seahorse tank the ph will be stable with a good reputable salt.
Orp it is. I was also leaning that way.

OP
OP
mgoesma

mgoesma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a lot done today.
IMAG0624.jpg

Aqua scape.
IMAG0637.jpg

Electrical
IMAG0638.jpg

Sump finishing touches.
IMAG0639.jpg

Sand
IMAG0647.jpg
and water
IMAG0648.jpg
now we are cycling.

OP
OP
mgoesma

mgoesma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My dang baffles break free. Had to drain the pump and silicone them again. Shouldn't have cleaned them up so much.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mgoesma

mgoesma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the baffles fixed and moved the advent for the overflow. I need a little bit bigger line though. It still pulls a stolen sometimes.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it OK to add macro Algae while the aquarium is cycling.
I would hold off until at least the ammonia goes down. When nitrites spike they drop fast and macros would probably be ok although I have always waited until nitrites dropped too.

OP
OP
mgoesma

mgoesma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am finally done with the cycle. Yay. I'm going to start adding macro algae and corals this weekend. I can't wait to finally have some life I. The aquarium.

OP
OP
mgoesma

mgoesma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan to start adding macro algae and some corals soon. Maybe some clean up crow. I'm going to give the tank another month before getting any ponies.

OP
OP
mgoesma

mgoesma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have added some dragons breath macro and a small island with some green star. I am going to personalize this weekend and I'm hopping to find some amazing softies to add. Does anyone have any recommendations for green macros.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look for halimeda, a nice calcerous macro algae. It reminds me of tiny christmas cactus the way it grows in segments. Of course it does not bloom at Christmas or any other time.

I keep feather caulerpa in my tank. It is segregated from the main rock so that it does not become invasive. I do many big WCs and my nutrients are controlled so it hasn't been a problem anyway. It needs to be pruned however periodically to keep it from going sexual.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I like the scape!

OP
OP
mgoesma

mgoesma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got home from reef-a- palooza. I got to meet #revhtree and his wife. They were amazing supper nice. I picked up a shroom. I'm hopping to pick up a few more corals tomorrow. And he fixed my title. Thank you.

OP
OP
mgoesma

mgoesma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't sleep I am so excited to get corals for the seahorse tank.

OP
OP
mgoesma

mgoesma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a while since I had an update but here we are I have added several macro algae, coral , and a cleanup crew. I will be waiting another month or so to make sure everything is settled in before I get the ponies. Also are the any good crowd cover corals I can use to hide the coral mounts? Please provide any feedback.

CalebWBrink2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure on the crabs, but I wouldn't risk it personally. I'd be leery of any tankmates that aren't similar like pipefish. You could possibly get away with a filefish maybe, as they are endemic to the same habitat as the horses that are found in the keys.

I'd look into getting a few different species of caulerpa or gracilaria as well. Perhaps even some sargassum or codium. The horses would love hitching on them. I personally like live-plants.com. (I'm not paid or affiliated, but the portions they give you are huge for the price. Just clean and inspect it, as it is straight from the gulf.) Best of luck!

OP
OP
mgoesma

mgoesma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already got my macro and fans from live-plants.com. you really can't see the macro well as they are in the back but I have 3 types. Halimeda opuntia, dragons breath , and Codium. I thought about caulerpa but I have it in my reef tank sump and it goes crazy. I don't want pipe fish because most are not captive bread and my breeder worked me that they have had very back luck with them. For tank mates in still thinking about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back