So my nephew is in Hawaii, is there anything he can bring back now?

Chukthunder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My nephew is seeing his sister off to college on the big island.

Considering the state's bans on marine flora and fauna collecting what's left? I'd ask him to look into Angels that don't get larger than 4-5", corals that don't sting, or inverts that would be too good to pass up if he came across them and felt inclined to ship something but has all that gone the way of the horse and buggy now?

hatfielj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could be wrong, but I don't believe you're allowed to bring in or ship out anything. At least, that's what I always thought. I go to Hawaii every year and I would love to collect something of my own, but I don't think it's allowed.
I did collect a little piece of coral skeleton that washed up on the beach though and used it to mount some coral in my tank. It's got a monti encrusting over it now;)

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could be wrong, but I don't believe you're allowed to bring in or ship out anything. At least, that's what I always thought. I go to Hawaii every year and I would love to collect something of my own, but I don't think it's allowed.
Its a urban legend to take the black sand from the beach. Apparently brings bad luck lol

hwntunda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kevin had Aloha corals in Hawaii, so I’m sure there’s some local stores that sell zoas/palys.

U

User1

View Badges
Memories and photos.

Personally I don't see any reason to collect locally then try to bring back. Most everything when in stock is available elsewhere. You can bring some sand back if you choose or shells but make sure they are from a beach area that allows it and not a marine reserve or park. One thing to note is that customers, bag checkers, TSA isn't going to know the difference of where it came from...thus my comment about memories and photos instead.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
images

Actually doubt he will get past Security with anything reef related bc it's a big no no with Island ordinances/laws, and the CDC, and the NSA, and the NSTB, and about 10 other agencies

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chukthunder

Chukthunder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kevin had Aloha corals in Hawaii, so I’m sure there’s some local stores that sell zoas/palys.

I can't grasp that it's some kind of police state with no marine section in their local PETCO. This place should be the king of sustainable, exportable Pacific species that come into the states from everywhere else in the East.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't grasp that it's some kind of police state with no marine section in their local PETCO. This place should be the king of sustainable, exportable Pacific species that come into the states from everywhere else in the East.
It is not a horse and buggy police state, it is a blue progressive state that prohibits reef consumption as an evil capitalistic tendency. I was going to suggest the young man get a suntan, but then I remembered that HI recently outlawed a number of suntan products that were reportedly implicated in being toxic to corals. You can still get suntan products but they have to be declared safe by the state.

Conservation of the reef is a great idea, but they have implemented the HI version like alcohol prohibition and made the entire aquarium trade dry in the place as far as wild local species go. There has to be a black-market opportunity created to fill this vacuum, and there will be one if the local boys begin to feel the need for funds to purchase a surf board or some ganja.

TSA should still allow a quart baggy of liquid in the carry-on bag. Bring back a water standard to calibrate your refractometer with. If he is sly he can put some pods or plankton in the bag and grow natural foods for your reef when he returns.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took some black sand as a souvenir when I was there many years ago. When I came home a real string of bad luck started to happen to me. I actually has a friend take it back when he went there on vacation. And guess what, my bad luck turned around! And I'm not a big believer in 'luck' at all!

And for what it's worth, I'm 100% in agreement with Hawaii and there marine collection laws. As humans, we screw the Earth so often and in so many ways. It's strikes me as sad that so many people don't seem to care at all and are just willing to **** the environment as if they don't care about what they leave behind. And I don't even have any kids, but I live in a very environmentally sensitive area. The Everglades is just a huge swamp, but as we screw with it, we mess up the Florida Keys as well as the SE and SW coasts of Florida with water diverted from the Everglades. A dead fish every 5 feet on a Sanibel beach for the last month should tell you we screwed up something!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chukthunder

Chukthunder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took some black sand as a souvenir when I was there many years ago. When I came home a real string of bad luck started to happen to me. I actually has a friend take it back when he went there on vacation. And guess what, my bad luck turned around! And I'm not a big believer in 'luck' at all!

And for what it's worth, I'm 100% in agreement with Hawaii and there marine collection laws. As humans, we screw the Earth so often and in so many ways. It's strikes me as sad that so many people don't seem to care at all and are just willing to **** the environment as if they don't care about what they leave behind. And I don't even have any kids, but I live in a very environmentally sensitive area. The Everglades is just a huge swamp, but as we screw with it, we mess up the Florida Keys as well as the SE and SW coasts of Florida with water diverted from the Everglades. A dead fish every 5 feet on a Sanibel beach for the last month should tell you we screwed up something!

I do agree that humans trash their environment, however I've read that some of the fish the anti reefers are trying to 'save' were actually increasing in numbers both in reefs that were being harvested as well as those that weren't. I found that the arguments in Hawaii seem to be split between a pro-industry side which is heralding science and an anti reefing side which has embraced outlawing things they are too lazy to learn enough about to effectively regulate.

alton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a brother-in-law who broke off a piece of coral in the 80's thinking he could bring it back with him. He was given a choice, put it back or go to jail! I am sure if it was today the put it back would not be a choice, the go to jail would happen automatically. As our populations continue to double and triple in our coastal states and Hawaii, the increase of pollution, fertilizer run off, and the warming of our land do to more asphalt, concrete, cars, air conditioners, and so on will increase.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 140 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back