So my Nitrates are too low... Now what?

chaostactics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've been skeptical about my Salifert and TropicMarin kits reading zero for Nitrates. So I sucked it up and spent the $$ on a Hanna LR Nitrate checker. Sure enough after running the test correctly* twice, I get 0.00.

I'm blown away my Nitrates are 0. Hanna checker ULR Phos says my level is 0.5.

After years and years of NITRATE BAD PHOSPHATE BAD. I'm hesitant/flabbergasted to think I might need to dose those. Can I feed more? Get a diamond goby to stir up my sand bed? Stop doing water changes?

BIO LOAD (LIVE STOCK): I have around 80 gal of volume with adult 2 Bangii, 2 nearly adult Ocellaris, nearly adult Azure damsel, juvi-adult royal gramma, a juvi-adult potters angel and a antenna goby. Cleaner shimp, porcelain crab, misc CUC.

BIO LOAD (FOOD): I dose 10mL AB+ daily, feed a healthy heap of New Life Spectrum daily (though I try to make sure the majority is consumed by the fish and not end up on the sand bed.

FILTRATION AND MAINT: I do around a 10 gal w/c with Reef Crystals once a month.Before I started checking levels I dropped my filter sock changes to 2 x a week because my skimmer (reef essence 130) wasn't pulling much and my chaeto was dying. Now I use Brightwell Cheato for the cheato and it seems to be helping. I also run rox carbon for water polishing. Change it every 1-3 months (aka when I remember to)

CORAL: Tank is 95% zoa and Paly (the rest is anemone, no SPS/LPS. I have noticed some die off but I was attributing to my lights being too strong, finicky nature of some coral, and possibly tank wide chem warfare from other paly/zoa.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zeros are no good for sure. However heavy in and heavy out is a good thing. Up the feeding imo

john90009

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started dosing nitrates by brightwell instead of increasing any other additives or food. It was much safer then adding more reef energy, or food. Phosphates will come with the food and you
Don’t want that to get out of hand, just get nitrates and you will have to dose heavy until readings start to show then you just maintain it with a lesser dose. If you had a tang or two in there, then the heaven feedings that keep them happy would lead to nitrates, but without tangs it’s tough to get it up without dosing.

andiesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
feed more or up the bioload. personally i find it's easier to just add more food rather than dosing. and it gives you an option to maybe get a new fish to add more waste and up the nitrates to a few ppm.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 10 76.9%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 15.4%
Back