So my tang has ich...

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What should I do? It is still in the beggining stages, and kinda on and off (there a couple days, then gone). It is on a powder brown tang, he is a good size about 6" long, and happily eating algae, mysis, or anything else I feed him. I soaked his food in garlic, but that is not a cure. I cannot qt him right now, I will be on vacation for a week, but I trained him to eat out of a net, so catching him is not the issue. No other fish has it. I tried garlic before and it seemed to work. If it is not gone when I come back, I will qt.

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its perfectly normal for it to be there for a couple days and then be gone. The trophont drops off in 3 days and the cycle starts over. Powder browns are notorious for ich. QT is a good idea but only if your gonna treat them all, otherwise you'll be back where you started upon reintroduction.

OP
OP
Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He had no ich for 4 weeks in qt, so it was likely in my tank. Do you think he will recover?

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly dont know, many claim they can but thats never been the case for me especially with the powder species.

90greefman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Freshwater dip for 5 minutes has worked for me in the past for a q Just make sure the ph and temp are close. I would then treat the tank. There are reef safe additives you can use. I think its safe to say ich will always be present, its a matter of keeping the fish happy and stress free so their immune system can fight it off.

90greefman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Freshwater dip for 5 minutes has worked for me in the past for a quick fix......is what I meant to type before hitting the enter button. lol

wysiwyg

marine predator man
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i had ich on my yellow tang and cowfish i just kept them well fed it dropped off after a week and they have been ich free for almost 3 mnths

OP
OP
Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually thought it was a fungus at first, because it went away for a while. I knew it was ich when it came back. He is healthy otherwise, so I am hoping for the best

wysiwyg

marine predator man
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i also added a 36w turbo twist uv sterilizer with a 200gph pump not sure if it helped but made my water crystal clear

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 48 55.2%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 26 29.9%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back