So, the new Wave Engine... I Love it with a Capital "L"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I was able to get my hands on one of these through CoralVue. I am one of few people out there who are running 4 Gyre 280's, and they wanted to get some honest feedback and overall impressions on how it works for me.

A little backstory first. It was around the time that my good friends Carlos and Jeremy at CoralVue visited the new shop the first time about two years ago. At some point during the visit, I had asked Carlos if there was some kind of larger multiple "master" transformer that could run all 4 gyres. Or, if there was some way to consolidate the transformers at least so I could run one single plug rather than 4. We went back and forth with some ideas for a while. Ultimately never really came up with a good solution, but a seed was planted perhaps…

IMG_0307.jpeg

Now, I honestly don't know if those early conversations were the Genesis of this thing, or if it was already in the works. But let me just say, that I have been dreaming about something like the Wave Engine for a decade at least. As my controllers and power supply collections grew, so did the messes of tangled cables and cords. While I loved the pumps themselves, I HATED all the spaghetti and such that came along with DC pump/controller tech as it continued to be rolled out year after year.

As you can imagine I was really excited when I first heard of the release of the WaveEngine, but I was even more thrilled when Carlos said he was going to send me one to try out. So “it” existed and I was actually getting one! All that was left at this point, was that the darn thing had to work. I'll confess I was a little intimidated at first because programming pumps and apexes etc have never really come super easy to me, but the initial set up was simple. Locate the WaveEngine's internal signal WiFi in your phones WiFi list and connect. Then switch the WaveEngine over to your home WiFi and that was all I needed to do to get it online, plugged into the cloud and firmware updated.

Next, I was on to creating pumps, presets and triggers, and while I won't go into massive detail on this process, it was also a snap. Refreshingly. Ultimately there's really not a whole lot of water movement configurations that you can't do with this thing. I like to keep things simple, so I set up 4 pumps on the long sides of one of my 11' tanks and had them alternate every 5 minutes. I added a night mode where they calm down and Carlos walked me through creating a "hurricane" preset that runs all the pumps on full blast for 5 minutes every 30 minutes. Good flow has been a struggle in this tank particularly because of all the live rock, and how shallow the tank is. The water level is only about 7-8 inches and most of the coral is within an inch or two of the water surface. I had not been able to really deliver the kind of flow I needed in there using independent controllers. Either too much or not enough or stuck somewhere in between with some places getting blasted and other main areas stagnant. These simple settings I am using now have proven to provide strong (but not too strong) flow in all needed areas of the tank far better than anything I have tried yet.

IMG_0317.png
IMG_0380.png

I think this little box is super cool and without a doubt the solution to many little quirks and ticks I've had regarding flow and ongoing cord messes that I truly hate. There's a lot of things it does that I really like. They did extremely well designing the interface and overall intuitiveness of the programming process. I'm hoping that the guys from CoralVue can chime in and help me out if any of you have questions I can’t answer but I'll do the best I can. Thanks again to CoralVue and HYDROS for letting me try this out.

Believe me when I say the WaveEngine coming into my life, was literally like a dream coming true.

IMG_0378.jpeg

IMG_0309.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
That’s awesome!!!! Its a shame that I can’t use my Jebao branded powerheads with it though- slightly different plug. I wonder if an adapter is in our future

Hi there,

You can I believe. It's set up a little differently but I know one of the other beta testers is running jebaos on his.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there,

You can I believe. It's set up a little differently but I know one of the other beta testers is running jebaos on his.

Oh that’s awesome!!!! Earlier when I asked they suggested it wasn’t supported due to the different plug. Definitely interested in this then.

Now if only there was a power supply that could power a ton of radions lol

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw this at MACNA and I think it was the coolest new tech of the whole show. Definitely getting one as soon as they're available.

One really nice feature is the 0-10 V input that can be used to affect the pumps it is controlling. So e.g. if you have an Apex, you can connect the output of one of your Apex 0-10V variable speed output ports to the Wave Engine, tell the Apex to output say 4V when you are in feed mode, and then tell the Wave Engine to stop the pumps whenever it sees 4V on that input.

CoralVue_Marketing

One minute of patience, ten years of peace.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw this at MACNA and I think it was the coolest new tech of the whole show. Definitely getting one as soon as they're available.

One really nice feature is the 0-10 V input that can be used to affect the pumps it is controlling. So e.g. if you have an Apex, you can connect the output of one of your Apex 0-10V variable speed output ports to the Wave Engine, tell the Apex to output say 4V when you are in feed mode, and then tell the Wave Engine to stop the pumps whenever it sees 4V on that input.

Thank you for stopping by the booth and for your kind words!

Completely off-topic but is that you with the eagle in your avatar photo?!

Carlos@CoralVue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s awesome!!!! Its a shame that I can’t use my Jebao branded powerheads with it though- slightly different plug. I wonder if an adapter is in our future

Actually there is a way to run the Jebaos in the WaveEngine environment. Michael Schrader in IN is running the WaveEngine with two Maxspect Gyres and two Jebaos...

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
@Battlecorals Thank you so much for sharing your story!

@Carlos@CoralVue Carlos-a-Cain better be a preset mode on the final units! lol! :D

My pleasure! it's a great product and long overdue in the hobby if you ask me. And i agree 100% wouldn't be nearly as cool without the "Los-a-Cain" mode:)

CoralNerd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Carlos, when ran with Ecotech Marine Vortech's do the controllers/drivers stay or get eliminated?
Also can the system also run the Vectra pumps?

Carlos@CoralVue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carlos, when ran with Ecotech Marine Vortech's do the controllers/drivers stay or get eliminated?

No actually, you turn your master pump into a Slave so the WaveEngine becomes the master and all Vortech's become the Slave.

On the Vortechs you can setup the slaves to be "Sync" or "Anti-sync" so you can get different slaves to do different things depending on the WaveEngine pattern.

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's listed vectra 1.0 support at least, the only third party to have so as well that I know of.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you @Battlecorals for sharing this great info! I was impressed with what I saw at MACNA and the short @CoralVue video clip, but hearing from users is powerful!

CoralNerd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No actually, you turn your master pump into a Slave so the WaveEngine becomes the master and all Vortech's become the Slave.

On the Vortechs you can setup the slaves to be "Sync" or "Anti-sync" so you can get different slaves to do different things depending on the WaveEngine pattern.
Sorry, I'm confused would I keep this Vortech controller/driver or not?

VOR01054_2__19366.1448515446.650.650.jpg

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vortech support is wireless, so yes, it requires the ecotech driver and brick.

Carlos@CoralVue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I'm confused would I keep this Vortech controller/driver or not?

VOR01054_2__19366.1448515446.650.650.jpg

EcoTech pumps can be added to the WaveEngine environment wirelessly. This means that the WE will control the pump but it WILL NOT power it. The WaveEngine has a "Pair" mode that you will need to start. Then you need to go through all your Vortech pumps and pair them to the WE as "Slaves" wirelessly. There is no cutting cables or removing controllers. You do this wirelessly and you keep your Vortech pumps intact. This is the only way to ensure that your Vortech pumps remain under the manufacturer's warranty.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 9.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 43 32.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%

Back