So they say setting up a reef tank is expensive. How expensive, you ask?

gbru316

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've kept reef tanks off and on for over 2 decades. I recently started my latest tank and figured I'd share how much I've spent, to-date, on a tank that's not even cycled yet. It's 9 days old and just starting to get some absolutely wonderful diatom blooms :rolleyes: (this is normal, it'll pass).

Besides the fact that I figured it might help newbie's to better understand what they're in for, it's also a reminder to myself to accurately convey price/cost to my spouse when saying things like "it's $400 and has everything included!" (I have a bad habit of super optimistic fiscal predictions). Saving grace being that we can afford it, and our young kids are absolutely enthralled with the tank, to the point where my 8 year old son and I sit down every night and watch BRStv's 52 weeks of reefing and my 3 year old daughter grabs my (and my wife's) hand and leads us to the tank multiple times a day to show us a bristleworm or asterina or random speck that she thinks is cool (side note -- my wife is open to the idea of a 180g down the road simply because our daughter really wants a "Dory" -- kids are great!).

Note, some of these things can probably be done a bit cheaper, or differently, but this list is the bulk of my "essential items" required within the first few months. And I didn't include anything I consider to be extravagant aside from some minor quality-of-life upgrades.

1. 40g breeder with stand, 20L sump, reef octopus 150INT skimmer (no pump included), Aqueon 2450L return pump, Ecotech Radion Gen 1 (fan inoperable), Ecotech Vortech MP40 (not wireless, original model), external overflow box, heater, aqualifter pump, and a few odds and ends (nets, tubing, etc) - $400
  2. Hanna PO4 Checker - $60 (can substitute standard test kit to save $40ish)
  3. Hanna NO3 Checker - $60 (can substitute standard test kit to save $40ish)
  4. Hanna Alk Checker - $60 (can substitute standard test kit to save $40ish)
  5. Salifert Ca test kit - $20
  6. Aquaforest Mg test kit - $20
  7. API Master Salt Kit - $25
  8. Fritz Turbo Start 9000 - $30 (optional)
  9. JBJ ATO - $90 (can save $30-$40 here if desired, but ATO is basically essential for a stable tank)
  10. BRS Single Reactor (no pumps, feeding from return pump) x 2 - $110
  11. BRS Bulk GFO - $25
  12. BRS Bulk Rox 0.8 Carbon - $25
  13. Skimmer pump - $100
  14. Drilled overflow kit from Modular Marine - $155 (much preferable to over-the-top siphon style, and only $30 or so more)
  15. Aquaforest Reef Salt - $75
  16. Airline Tubing Kit - $11
  17. 4 stage RO/DI - $225
  18. Refractometer - $35
  19. Rock (combo live and dry) - $150
  20. Live Sand - $30
  21. Replacement fan for Radion - $15
  22. Radion mounting bracket - $85
  23. Misc (buckets, nets, plumbing, etc) - $100
Total: $1906

A couple things to point out:
1. I saved quite a bit of money on the lights and Vortech. But that's because they're over 10 years old. They'll get the job done, but if I had unlimited budget (ie, not married, no kids), I'd have bought much newer. Brand new equivalent, you're looking at another $1000. And that's just the light and circulation pump. Add another $500-1000 for the skimmer/tank/stand/heater/overflow, etc. I'll upgrade the old stuff when they die. Or once the initial setup budget shock has worn off. Whichever comes first.

2. I did not include any other additives, just the staples. For the curious, I'm following the Aquaforest SPS method this time around, so I've got another $100 or so in additives that I didn't include. Most of this sort of thing can be purchased in a few months, as you're not going to have much demand for Ca or Alk immediately. And even then, plain old 2 part is pretty cheap, maybe $20 for a few months worth.

3. This is my "bare essentials" list based upon my numerous entrances (and exits) from the hobby. Starting as a teenager 20 years ago, I was almost exclusively focused on saving money. I built my own skimmers, ATO, sumps, closed-loops, refugiums, lighting hoods (power compact, then metal halide, then LED) cultured phyto and pods, etc. And while it's possible to do so (Anthony Calfo guided me towards shallow tanks and regular T8 shop lights in the early 00's), you'll reach a point where the effort required to DIY everything just isn't worth the money saved. Basically, if you've an abundance of free time and a shortage of money, it's possible. But for the rest of us, save and buy what you need up-front.

4. Additives/consumables can be DIY fairly simply. This isn't going to save a ton of money for smaller tanks, but it's savings nonetheless.

5. Livestock. I didn't include that here, but with the exception of rock and sand, seek out fellow hobbyists. It's almost always far cheaper to get your coral from your peers than it is to pay retail. Reeftrader is a great resource to learn about upcoming swaps. Also, Facebook marketplace often has coral listed as "aquarium decorations" to avoid FB's live animal policy. And FB Reef groups are another great source. Along with this site :)

Moral of the story - this isn't a cheap hobby. But buying used can save you quite a bit of money. Facebook Marketplace has been my go-to for used stuff. And in my experience, it's better to be fully prepared before you add water than it is to piecemeal it as you go. Because keeping your water parameters under control is far easier than getting them back under control once they spiral. And to paraphrase BRStv - - this hobby isn't reefkeeping. It's striving to get the most stable, quality water possible. The livestock is secondary.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
30 years ago, I operated under the umbrella statement that saltwater is roughly $5/gallon. That was just for FOWLR. for a reef tank today, JUST to get it wet and cycled, you will figure about $18/gallon. Then we can begin to talk about livestock!!

Case in point. I am in the process of an upgrade from my 55g to a new 135. The tank and stand alone cost $1100. Add $100 for delivery. The stand is unfinished so add in the cost of caulk, sealer, primer, paint (which I haven't priced yet but I assume near $200 DIY another $400 if professionally done)

Got a fantastic deal on the sump at $98, but a similar sump would run $4-500

Heaters, a pair of moderate sized heaters, $50 each

Return pumps for $150

Skimmer will be repurposed from my existing 55g, cost $250 new.

$1900-2500 total for just the most basic setup. Again, about $18/gallon. JUST for the raw bare bones setup. Not including sand, rocks, salt, ect.

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make It Rain Reaction GIF

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know, I think a lot of these are completely unnecessary or can use cheaper alternatives. I've never bought much of the stuff on the list but I had success. That said, this is is not a bad guide. If someone wants to reef on a budget I would advise them to keep an easier tank. Fish and slow growing easy corals. Then you don't really have to test much if at all if you do at least occasional water changes and you don't need very powerful lights. I would also just do a smaller tank. Keep equipment to a minimum, and be patient.

Does someone on a budget need to fill the tank up with fast-growing acroporas that will make the tank difficult? No, absolutely not. I would say just don't be a stickhead if you are worried about budget.

OP
OP
gbru316

gbru316

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Says it'll only be 400

Proceeds to buy the expensive test kits, expensive salt, an expensive RODI unit, one of the most expensive bacterial additives, and an ato lol

I'm just kidding around :) Happy reefing

Hanna checkers were a splurge (I hate trying to decipher nitrate results...). Ro/di is essential. Otherwise, you’re left wondering if any problems are associated with initial water.

So, cheaper test kits and eliminate the turbo 9000 and you’re saving $150ish. Cheaper salt, let’s round it to a savings of $200-$250.

still an expensive hobby, but cheaper than a boat! :)

Last edited:

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know, I think a lot of these are completely unnecessary or can use cheaper alternatives. I've never bought much of the stuff on the list but I had success. That said, this is is not a bad guide. If someone wants to reef on a budget I would advise them to keep an easier tank. Fish and slow growing easy corals. Then you don't really have to test much if at all if you do at least occasional water changes and you don't need very powerful lights. I would also just do a smaller tank. Keep equipment to a minimum, and be patient.

Does someone on a budget need to fill the tank up with fast-growing acroporas that will make the tank difficult? No, absolutely not. I would say just don't be a stickhead if you are worried about budget.

I disagree.

32g biocube AIO w/stand new off Amazon... $640 That is $20/g not including heater, wave makers, substrate, rocks, salt or RODI.

If the intent of this thread is to inform new reefers what they are truly in for financially, we NEED to have honest full disclosure of pricing.

My guideline of $18/g is a generous estimate. I would say $25 would be a better guide as to what to expect for initial layout.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's see it Sean!!
I wouldn't want to discourage anyone from the best hobby with my boring analytical data. But I will say that Melev was off by about $55 a gallon.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't want to discourage anyone from the best hobby with my boring analytical data. But I will say that Melev was off by about $55 a gallon.

In my post above regarding my 135g upgrade... I didn't mention the new pair of Kessil A360X TB lights for an additional $1200, if you add in the $1075 I paid for the current pair of Kessils, that would be an additional cost of $2275!!

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my post above regarding my 135g upgrade... I didn't mention the new pair of Kessil A360X TB lights for an additional $1200, if you add in the $1075 I paid for the current pair of Kessils, that would be an additional cost of $2275!!
This is the way.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How expensive this hobby is depends on what size tank you get. Anything from a 10-40g can easily be done <$1000. You don't need reactors, an rodi unit doesn't need to be more than $60-120, you don't need fancy lights or powerheads, you don't need a sump, you definitely don't need a skimmer (save money and go refugium only, or hang on back refugium for sumpless tanks), you don't need rox 0.8 carbon, you don't need an auto top off, and you really don't need to be precise with test kit numbers other than phosphate and alk.

A fish only tank is very cheap. I think a lot of people forget that is an option.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Kessil lights are my indulgence. I do not in any way regret the cost. Since I installed the first pair over my 55 in early Dec (got them on black Friday sale) My tank has exploded in growth.

I also at nearly the same time got a HoB overflow and installed a "sump" which really is nothing more than a place to hold an oversized skimmer. Since my tank is VERY overstocked with both fish and corals, I honestly can't say which is the better element to the explosion I have seen. Perhaps it is both. ?

I can say with full confidence that since I installed the Kessil lights, I can keep virtually any corals alive in my tank. I have lost a couple acro frags, but others are thriving. Hard to pinpoint any one specific cause for the deaths.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How expensive this hobby is depends on what size tank you get. Anything from a 10-40g can easily be done <$1000. You don't need reactors, an rodi unit doesn't need to be more than $60-120, you don't need fancy lights or powerheads, you don't need a sump, you definitely don't need a skimmer (save money and go refugium only, or hang on back refugium for sumpless tanks), you don't need rox 0.8 carbon, you don't need an auto top off, and you really don't need to be precise with test kit numbers other than phosphate and alk.

A fish only tank is very cheap. I think a lot of people forget that is an option.

Have you done the math here?

$1000/40G= $25/g

For generosity sake, lets say $800/40g = $20/g

If you are not going to invest in an RODI unit, your ONGOING cost multiplies. Not only do you need to buy salt, but also fresh RODI water for water changes AND top offs.

Again, Let us be REAL about what this costs!!!

Edit: Allow me to reemphasize this point. The cost I am describing IS a FOWLR setup.

Last edited:

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you done the math here?

$1000/40G= $25/g

For generosity sake, lets say $800/40g = $20/g

If you are not going to invest in an RODI unit, your ONGOING cost multiplies. Not only do you need to buy salt, but also fresh RODI water for water changes AND top offs.

Again, Let us be REAL about what this costs!!!

Edit: Allow me to reemphasize this point. The cost I am describing IS a FOWLR setup.

I didn't say no RODI unit. What I said is that you can spend half (if not cheaper than half) as much on an RODI unit as the OP did. Also, I set up tanks as a part time job, you can definitely do it for less than $1000 for a 40g. What kind of fowler 40 gallon tank are you spending $1000 on??????

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 38 34.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 30 27.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back