So we signed a contract for the NEW R2R Marketplace!

Are you excited to try out the new R2R Market?

• YES

Votes: 491 84.1%
  • NO

Votes: 93 15.9%

• Total voters

A$AP-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
excited to see this new market place ! cant wait to see some upgrades, keep up the good work Rev. now with whats being done, will the seller be able to state that partial proceeds go to R2R? or no charge but a gift will be accepted but not needed? if I worded that correctly

klp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It definitely sounds interesting.

I am curious though, why are some of you against PayPal?
For me it is that they are political like Twitter, Facebook etc. who freeze out those they personally disagree with. Never know when the will try to protect the ocean by freezing out those they disagree with. I use them from time to time but avoid them most of the time.

Salt1972

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No way we’re becoming a retailer! We’re just bringing tools for people to sell their Corals and used equipment better. Our sponsors will be able to use the tools as well if they choose. We won’t be selling anything but swag!
Rev- Thanks for your response. To be sure, I'm not trying to be a downer. What features would R2R add to a buyer/seller transaction? For instance, I recently connected with 2 reefers on R2R and purchased coral frags. We agreed on product/price, I Pay Pal'd the $, and they shipped the goods. What does R2R intend to add to that and at what cost? Thanks for your time and forum.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Rev- Thanks for your response. To be sure, I'm not trying to be a downer. What features would R2R add to a buyer/seller transaction? For instance, I recently connected with 2 reefers on R2R and purchased coral frags. We agreed on product/price, I Pay Pal'd the $, and they shipped the goods. What does R2R intend to add to that and at what cost? Thanks for your time and forum.

No problem and I didn't take it as such. I realize some will be skeptical at first and that's understandable!

Basically we want to add more tools to make the process easier all around. Easier to add items, easier to find items, easier to buy items. One of the major pluses is the rating and review system that will really reward honest people.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes!!!
No paypal!!!
This alone makes me super excited

I am sure it is up to the seller what he want to use.
So if the seller uses paypal you have no choice if you want to buy his item.
Also by not accepting paypal as a seller which most still use you may limit a sale.

I do buy and sell allot but less lately and more local.
Mainly because shipping is out of hand.
Shipping tools would be helpful..
I sold something on eBay and between eBay fees, paypal fees and shipping I lost money.
I just sell and buy allot less used items now...
Shipping has closed the gap between new and used.

Rcpilot

Addicted to LPS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm excited to see the new marketplace features and really appreciate the time and effort that goes into making this site run smoothly, and the continued improvements for the user. It doesn't go unnoticed.

That being said, I've also had bad experiences with Paypal freezing my account more than once. Limiting my ability to transfer funds from Paypal back to my bank account, more than once. Asking for identification that I WILL NOT provide to a retail payment processor (SSN, Drivers License). Trying to force me into a business acccount (which costs money) when I'm just a hobbyist that buys and sells maybe 3 or 4 times per calender year.

For sellers who require Paypal, I just skip it. NOT doing business transactions via Paypal ever again. I'd rather send a money order and take my chances on a sellers good reputation, than cave for the "protection" that Paypal offers buyers.

It's REALLY nice to have other options for payment of Marketplace items!! Thanks @ Revhtree !!!

Last edited:

MSB123

Someone out there put something smart here.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm excited to see the new marketplace features and really appreciate the time and effort that goes into making this site run smoothly, and the continued improvements for the user. It doesn't go unnoticed.

That being said, I've also had bad experiences with Paypal freezing my account more than once. Limiting my ability to transfer funds from Paypal back to my bank account, more than once. Asking for identification that I WILL NOT provide to a retail payment processor (SSN, Drivers License). Trying to force me into a business acccount (which costs money) when I'm just a hobbyist that buys and sells maybe 3 or 4 times per calender year.

For sellers who require Paypal, I just skip it. NOT doing business transactions via Paypal ever again. I'd rather send a money order and take my chances on a sellers good reputation, than cave for the "protection" that Paypal offers buyers.

It's REALLY nice to have other options for payment of Marketplace items!! Thanks @ Revhtree !!!
+1!

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, I see more PayPal hate than expected! I'll tell a good and bad PayPal story with ya.

Bad PayPal story I've got -- I was buying some shaving soap, a rare LE soap from Mickey Lee, called grand Havana. Not that you asked... But it's a tobacco scented soap that was made in low numbers. Finally found a used one (yes, that's a thing!) And got them to sell it to me.

In the PayPal note I said "thanks for the grand Havana".

PayPal had me under investigation to make sure I wasn't illegally sending $30 to Havana lol..

Otherwise, smooth sailing and all that.

Good PayPal story -- So PayPal screwed up and triple charged me, draining my bank account. caused 3 overage fees of $40 each, my bank decided to auto try again the next day even though I called them and explained it.. another $120, making me $240 in debt.

Bank told me too bad. I called PayPal, they called my bank and informed them they can't do that. Had them cancel all the transaction fees, gave me a Visa gift card, and made my bank apologize to me.

I've done tons of business through PayPal, and have seen a few friends have a little headache or two but I'm starting to feel like I've been lucky with all this negativity towards them!

MSB123

Someone out there put something smart here.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, I see more PayPal hate than expected! I'll tell a good and bad PayPal story with ya.

Bad PayPal story I've got -- I was buying some shaving soap, a rare LE soap from Mickey Lee, called grand Havana. Not that you asked... But it's a tobacco scented soap that was made in low numbers. Finally found a used one (yes, that's a thing!) And got them to sell it to me.

PayPal had me under investigation to make sure I wasn't illegally sending $30 to Havana lol..

Good PayPal story -- So PayPal screwed up and triple charged me, draining my bank account. caused 3 overage fees of $40 each, my bank decided to auto try again the next day even though I called them and explained it.. another $120, making me $240 in debt.

Bank told me too bad. I called PayPal, they called my bank and informed them they can't do that. Had them cancel all the transaction fees, gave me a Visa gift card, and made my bank apologize to me.

I've done tons of business through PayPal, and have seen a few friends have a little headache or two but I'm starting to feel like I've been lucky with all this negativity towards them!
Yes. Consider yourself lucky. They are currently holding $900 on the basis that they need my SSN, a government issued ID, and my tax id info (which I do not feel I should give for a person to person retail transaction.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. Consider yourself lucky. They are currently holding $900 on the basis that they need my SSN, a government issued ID, and my tax id info (which I do not feel I should give for a person to person retail transaction.
dang sorry to hear that man! That's the worst I've heard actually

PEP12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
voted no as I cannot join in as in UK

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Yea no issues with them.
I was ripped off from a seller and they went after them and got me my money.

I bought some graphic for my truck. They sent me ones for a crew cab and I have a extended cab.
I took pictures of it against my track and extended cab to prove they sent me the wrong ones and they still said they sent me the right ones and eventually told me to cut them.
They are tapered to it would look stupid. So I contacted paypal and they got my money back or just credited me the money.

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted no. ;Sorry

I love R2R for the knowledge I gain and for the friends I have made. I never use the marketplace so I'm not excited to try it out. That said, I think this will be a major improvement for those who do like using it.
You don’t want to buy my hand made controller ? :-(

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
voted no as I cannot join in as in UK

Oh we’re going to have a section for countries and regions. Go change your vote! :)

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don’t want to buy my hand made controller ? :-(
Nope, you likely wont charge enough ;Greedy or have enough features built in that I won't use. :rolleyes:Just not a good option. Sorry! :p

CC13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am curious though, why are some of you against PayPal?

Because I don't give anyone or anything access to any of my banking accounts. Ever.

I pay Paypal takes VISA now which is how I pay and with my VISA I have insurance coverage.

Converted to Saltwater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been following this pretty much all day. So far I've been reassured about this forum not turning into eBay.
Was assured no constant advertisements popping up. Both pluses.
PayPal is a no no way no how never for me. That's just me if anyone else is good with them that's all good. Limiting sales, I get it.
Since a contract has been signed as to start the new market however, would the buyer and seller have full discression on how to exchange funds, or are there certain restrictions, or fees that would apply if no paypal, no account info given?
I've read probably around 70 replies to this thread alone since I woke up this morning.
I'm feeling better about the market, but not so good about payment options.
Im sorry if I missed something, just wondering if R2R will be obligated to only use certain payment methods.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 33 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back