So what could Next New Neptune Systems product be?

New Jersey REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pick up a trident. It works amazing.
I want nitrates / phosphates testing too!...
I know what you going to say....
And people in hell want ice water?
CE1BD305-F04D-4DEC-94F2-1E33CF95903B.png

U

User1

View Badges
I want nitrates / phosphates testing too!...
I know what you going to say....
And people in hell want ice water?
CE1BD305-F04D-4DEC-94F2-1E33CF95903B.png

Lol, no. I wasn't going to say that at all. I do think both of those are interesting tests. I think there is another product that will do that though. Or some of it. I really don't know. I'm biased as I own a trident but it does work, work well, and for a lazy reefer (me) it is a huge asset.

Nitrate and phosphate. I used to ignore those. I can see the interest now though as I started to dose TM AFR and saw a cyno out break. May be related. May not. Not blaming the product because I really love it. I love making the DIY version. And my corals have responded to it. However, that cyno. Enter nitrates. I'm lazy, dislike testing. The only tests I do will be the quick ones and ones that are repeatable. Hanna's phosphate is quick and easy. Nyos Nitrate is also quick. Few tests and I saw a pattern that my nitrates bottomed out.

So yes. I can see why people may want those especially if one starts to dose nitrates which I am currently doing.

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any idea if these sky lights will come in one or two sizes? Like the Radions that give need to use multiple units. Maybe the small sky unit will cover a two foot long tank and a bigger sky will cover a three foot long tank?

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 for NO3 and PO4 auto testing. Currently using the Trident (used GHL's KH Director for a few years but a couple of months switched the whole system to Neptune and very happy that I did) and always struggling with zero nitrates. Terence says that he does not see the use cases but I believe there are more use cases for these than for instance Magnesium for example.

EXAMPLES:

NO3 Testing uses:
  1. Adjusting NO3 dosing in NO3 deficient systems (like a lot of us these days) - can be automated with DOS doser;
  2. Adjusting feeding habits
PO4 Testing uses:
  1. Adjust Lanthanum Chloride dosing (PhosphateE or other Lanthanum based aquarium products) to keep PO4 at a stable level - can be automated with DOS doser;
  2. Know when to replace GFO
  3. Adjust PO4 dosing - can be automated with DOS Doser

Cabinetman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 for NO3 and PO4 auto testing. Currently using the Trident (used GHL's KH Director for a few years but a couple of months switched the whole system to Neptune and very happy that I did) and always struggling with zero nitrates. Terence says that he does not see the use cases but I believe there are more use cases for these than for instance Magnesium for example.

EXAMPLES:

NO3 Testing uses:
  1. Adjusting NO3 dosing in NO3 deficient systems (like a lot of us these days) - can be automated with DOS doser;
  2. Adjusting feeding habits
PO4 Testing uses:
  1. Adjust Lanthanum Chloride dosing (PhosphateE or other Lanthanum based aquarium products) to keep PO4 at a stable level - can be automated with DOS doser;
  2. Know when to replace GFO
  3. Adjust PO4 dosing - can be automated with DOS Doser
I totally agree with you. I can’t see them not wanting to offer this. Just doesn’t make sense.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A companion tester that did Nitrate and Phosphate should be there first target: The Trident could be modified to use three different reagents along with a new sensor. They make good money on reagent sales so why not add more products?
Most of the same physical Tridnet can’t parts be used cutting back on R&D.

U

User1

View Badges
A companion tester that did Nitrate and Phosphate should be there first target: The Trident could be modified to use three different reagents along with a new sensor. They make good money on reagent sales so why not add more products?
Most of the same physical Tridnet can’t parts be used cutting back on R&D.

I look at the new Hanna Nitrate checker and see why it wasn't done. At least first.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, I would just like to see a dedicated battery back up for the Cor pumps. :)

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wonder how many Cor's are in use. Solid pump honestly. I run 3.
I currently run 1, but will install a 2nd on my upgrade. I really don't need a battery back up on my return pumps as I have them on my flow pumps, but it would be nice to have a battery back up that hooks up to my Apex and Cor and comes on every 30 min's or so to turn the water. :)

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I look at the new Hanna Nitrate checker and see why it wasn't done. At least first.
Yes, it's discouraging but then again the Hanna is a Rube Goldberg inspired Nitrate testers. I would look at what API is using and see if the two reagents could be refined to give better results. Even better if one of them can be used as a catalyst for Phosphate testing.

U

User1

View Badges
Yes, it's discouraging but then again the Hanna is a Rube Goldberg inspired Nitrate testers. I would look at what API is using and see if the two reagents could be refined to give better results. Even better if one of them can be used as a catalyst for Phosphate testing.

Actually you know who has a great kit is Nyos. Their nitrate kit is really easy to use and more or less accurate. I mean at least for me it has been. Consistent is another thing I like about it. 5 ml of water, 5 drops of this, shake rattle and roll, add measure of dry powder, and shake for 1 minute, wait 5, and your done.

I'm not sure what that dry powder is they are using nor do I really know much about chemistry so will pass to you smarter folks :D Hope all is well with you and yours by the way.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually you know who has a great kit is Nyos. Their nitrate kit is really easy to use and more or less accurate. I mean at least for me it has been. Consistent is another thing I like about it. 5 ml of water, 5 drops of this, shake rattle and roll, add measure of dry powder, and shake for 1 minute, wait 5, and your done.

I'm not sure what that dry powder is they are using nor do I really know much about chemistry so will pass to you smarter folks :D Hope all is well with you and yours by the way.
If that powder can be bought as a liquid it would be perfect.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 34.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 23.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 21 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back