So what have you done to YOUR tank lately?

Osteoclast

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Harry, a few of the butterfly's are more reef safe than others. The tinkeri complex is "reef safe with caution", mine is a model citizen so far, nevertheless, I realize things can change in a heartbeat. Mine is going after aptasia, but no LPS, clams, or SPS (so far.). Additionally, I had a Klein's for years that was well behaved. Several others are reef safe with caution including: pyramids, long nose, copperbands, etc.

tcoyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding these to the tank over the next few weeks and putting in new filters for my RODI
IMG_1412.JPG
. I love BRS delivery days!

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice, what size tank? I 'm hoping these don't destroy my 65. ha

It's 175g (72Lx27Wx21H). Got them mounted half way top to bottom. at 60% the water at the top roils and the sand gets blown. Running them on pulse mode right now maxing at 50% so the sand stays on the bottom.

tcoyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. So what your saying is I'm in for a sandstorm in my 65. Might only use one and sell the other.

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. So what your saying is I'm in for a sandstorm in my 65. Might only use one and sell the other.

I might be interested if you sell one of them!

shollis2814

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, it's been a busy week. I have
  • Caught my gramma and lantern basslet. As pretty as they were, they were too aggressive. Took them to AC. My Percula immediately calmed down once they were out and now only harasses me :confused:.
  • Added a Hector's Goby, Diamond Goby, Dot Dash Flasher Wrasse, and Tailspot Blenny. My tank is so much more peaceful now, and I like that ALL residents can be out and about at the same time.
  • Reworked my plugs. All pumps are now on one power strip, so I can get calm water by flipping a switch. Makes feeding so much better.
  • Added too many frags to name. I love that Emerald Bay will put together a really nice 'rubble bag' if I just tell them how much I have to spend. (They also give a teacher discount if there are any other educators out there).
  • Cleaned my sump for the first time *ever*. Took it all apart, got the Shop-Vac and removed all detritus and made things a little bit neater, cord wise.
  • Left my rock rubble out and turned the middle chamber into a refugium. Dug out my old clip on LED and thanks to @tcoyle I have a good hunk of chaeto doing its thing!
  • Got some driveway reflectors and my new impact drill, and took the rocks from my sump and I am working on my first drilled rockscape. I am shooting for a ledge or two 8-9" up so I can spread out some of my corals that need stronger lighting (I only split one rock so far. I'm using a 3/8" coring bit instead of a drill bit. Drip a little water in the hole once it starts. I have three pieces stacked in a way I like. Now, I just need to build a base that will elevate and support it. I also set aside a couple of nice sized chunks to drill plug holes to finally put some contrasting zoas on opposite ends in hopes of a zoa garden.
Sorry for the epistle, but I remembered this thread and saw that it hasn't been updated in a while, so I thought I would bump it.

iiluisii

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started getting into acros now I got the following last week red planet, bonsai, pink lemonade from Battle corals a tri color Strawberry Shortcake, and Hawkins Enchinada.
Nice collection and great choice for vendor. Battle corals has the most colorful sps in the USA IMO

shollis2814

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finished my rock tower
WP_20160624_23_04_59_Pro.jpg

This is a 95% compete shot. I had not yet cemented in the top two pieces. The orange rod is not visible and I have the thing in a 5 gallon bucket of salt water.

This has a footprint of roughly 8 x 10 and weighs 13 pounds. That's not too heavy for my tank is it? I am thinking both the base and the sand bed will help distribute that weight.

Also, how long do you let stuff like this sit in water before you put it in the tank? I am not worried about the strength. This stuff dried quickly. All the rock was in the sump 3 days ago. I am soaking to make sure there's nothing funny in the hydraulic cement. Would this be good to install tomorrow, or should I let it soak a few days?

knukles55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be careful with that I Made one and wiped my old tank from super high pH I thought I let it cure enough for 2 months outside changing the water every other day and it's still wiped out my tank. I don't know if it's the concrete I used but I used Quikcrete

shollis2814

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for that. This hydraulic cement is not *supposed* to affect it the way that regular cement does. But I plan on checking the water it's sitting in.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 43.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 30.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back