So what's been your coolest hitchiker or worst you have found

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are the bryopsis eating machines!! Good job!
They're really expensive at the lfs-like $25 each and only stocked once or twice a year

What are these guys! I need a few of them!
IMG_5322.JPG

BrettMallette

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have corynactis pseudocorynactis about every color/kind/shape of sponge as well as spaghetti and vermetid snails. Brittle stars of every kind and color same with asterinas. Only somewhat bad hiker ive come across is a kind of annelida(steal food from my chalices more specifically my starry night all the time) not rly bad but annoying. And of course aptasia and majanos but i find them easy to irradicate with a syringe of vinegar.

ThunderGoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh I LOOOOOOVE those. I only have a few but usually when Im at the lfs and I see them, they will pick them out for me to take home :D those and micro brittle stars!
I have some brown, white, and black ones

My live rock didn't come with any micro brittle stars. I'm thinking I may have to purchase some (bleh). I posted on the local reef forum asking if any had some for sale but no responses. :(

Joshua Hurst

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My live rock didn't come with any micro brittle stars. I'm thinking I may have to purchase some (bleh). I posted on the local reef forum asking if any had some for sale but no responses. :(
I bought dead rock, and I have so many bristle stars, spaghetti worms, vermetid snails, and stomatela snails; not to mention all the other crazy creatures that crawl around at night. I think it just depends on the environment, and if they like it youll see them

ThunderGoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does season play a role in the number and diversity of hitchhikers? I live in New England and ordered my live rock in the middle of winter. There was stuff in the package that was DOA and very, very little still alive (I even looked under the microscope hoping to find amphipods or something. No such luck). Or was I just unlucky/ lucky?

[The Husband spotted some Asterina starfish at the LPS and really liked them. I may have to see if they'll part with some :D]

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may have to see if they'll part with some
umm. dont. IMO, they seem to out compete a lot of lot my other hitchhikers. As their population grew in my tank, the stoma and brittle star pop declined.
You get some eventually or once introduced and you see three, start pulling them out.

Bummer about the live rock. maybe got too cold?

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is a money/ring cowrie. I have two of them. They eat bryopsis like crazy! and now since all of its gone in my tank, theyre eating film algae :D sometimes hair algae when it grows. Theyre the super cuc :D
Do they nip at sps or Lps at all? Or these are reef safe kind?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back