So what's been your coolest hitchiker or worst you have found

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
did some talking with aquatic maine and they said the cowries aren't the best algae eaters, and that Mexican turbo snails are. What are your opinions on this, and why?
Theyre the only ones Ive found that eat bryopsis.
Turbos are big and bulky and knock stuff over. They couldnt fit in my nanos. So for that reason, I dont like them.
I have two turbos and a cowrie in the frag tank. Turbos eat the hair and film algae, cowries eat the annoying hard to kill stuff.
You need a variety...no one thing eats all.

3mm3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
did some talking with aquatic maine and they said the cowries aren't the best algae eaters, and that Mexican turbo snails are. What are your opinions on this, and why?
My experience couldn't be further from that. Money cowries are hands down amazing. They are slow but they absolutely devastate tough algae. As for the Mexican turbos I stay away from them. You really need lower temps for them to last.
This is my second favorite snail. Have 2 currently on the 4 year mark.
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=497+526+2459&pcatid=2459

What is it?
That is a money cowrie

Theyre the only ones Ive found that eat bryopsis.
Turbos are big and bulky and knock stuff over. They couldnt fit in my nanos. So for that reason, I dont like them.
I have two turbos and a cowrie in the frag tank. Turbos eat the hair and film algae, cowries eat the annoying hard to kill stuff.
You need a variety...no one thing eats all.

Agree 100%

dbassan09

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd go for the worst with this beast
2c59762c8ee09f8936ae3601d2e4aebb.jpg

Wish I knew how to upload video have a crazy one of him

Rory

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best and worst all on the same piece of LR.... best is a red Mithrax crab. Still got him, great algae clean up. Worst was a mantis shrimp that took a long time to catch.

Venator

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember a year ago I had seen a piece of a porite colony in a live rock vat, so I bought it and a couple days later, sitting in my refugium, a Christmas tree worm peaked out of it. After that I found two more, amounting to a purple red one, an orange one, and a blue one. That was really cool! Love those things, and a shame they aren't more common.

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember a year ago I had seen a piece of a porite colony in a live rock vat, so I bought it and a couple days later, sitting in my refugium, a Christmas tree worm peaked out of it. After that I found two more, amounting to a purple red one, an orange one, and a blue one. That was really cool! Love those things, and a shame they aren't more common.

Pictures! I live Xmas Tree Rocks!

Venator

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I could! Sadly, that tank was taken down a couple months after that, following a crash and a move.:(

meir

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My live rock didn't come with any micro brittle stars. I'm thinking I may have to purchase some (bleh). I posted on the local reef forum asking if any had some for sale but no responses. :(

If you’re ever in New York, I have many many micro brittle stars and would not mind sharing.

meir

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where is the best place to buy LR that comes with the most interesting hitchhikers?

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where is the best place to buy LR that comes with the most interesting hitchhikers?

I got my rock from Gulf Live Rock and it had lots of awesome hikers, I have not been disappointed one bit.

But next time I'll be trying out Tampa Bay Saltwater. I've heard GREAT things about their rock, a lot of people have reported high levels of different kinds of hitchhikers.

Will Milberger

Aggie Aquarist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
images

Found this cleaning out my tank about two years ago. Put it back in. I'm fixing to move, so I'll soon find out if it is still around. Peanut worm.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back