So what's been your coolest hitchiker or worst you have found

chubbyhubby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you manage to get an anemone as a hitchhiker ? Did you buy some live rock and this was attached and no one noticed ? I presume water was added to the rock so that the anemone was able to live .
If i remember right it come attached to a large toad stool of around 10 inches and the nem was maybe like an inch .

jimmyzhou

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone help me id this worm? Just found it yestoday can’t take them out of rock. Have to dry it and got it out
IMG_7998.jpg

liveround69

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone help me id this worm? Just found it yestoday can’t take them out of rock. Have to dry it and got it out
IMG_7998.jpg

looks like a really fuzzy pic of a bristleworm. You need a better resolution photo.

If you are really unsure of its presence in your tank then buy some coral dip and dip the rock. He will shoot out of it and die due to the chemicals in the dip.

TheAquarian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No photo but I had a 6” Bobbit worm in a piece of live rock. When I found it I thought it was much smaller. I removed the rock, and poured freshwater in the hole where I spotted the worm. Within seconds the worm launched out at my head from another hole.

reefruss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found a couple of these in my sump when I moved it to the garage. They had to come from eggs on a frag or survived dipping in coral dip and bayer because I used man made rock. Any idea what it might be? I didn't choose to keep it by the way.
20171227_151600_resized (2).jpg

TheAquarian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found a couple of these in my sump when I moved it to the garage. They had to come from eggs on a frag or survived dipping in coral dip and bayer because I used man made rock. Any idea what it might be? I didn't choose to keep it by the way.
20171227_151600_resized (2).jpg
Looks like a peanut worm good to have.

RobertN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My worst (that I know of up until now) was Aiptasia's....ended up becoming hundreds of them until I got a Matted Filefish and it ate all of them in 2 weeks. My best have been micro brittle stars (I haven't seen any for quite a while....I have a feeling my Melanurus Wrasse may have eradicated them) and Stomatella (also have not seen them for some time--I hope they're still there). I also have some Asterina stars. I don't mind them if they don't get to be too many in the tank.....if I see them increasing in numbers, I start removing some from the glass at night.

sayitfast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My worst has been s large Polyclad worm I have still not been able to catch. He/She is like the thing in the movie “It”. It doesn’t come out very often. Best was a baby Jawbreaker mushroom hiding under momma. That mushroom is huge now.

OP
OP
Cary Meredith

Cary Meredith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I got another one (well 5) and wasn't happy about it. Bought a Devils finger leather and after about 3 weeks, it looked like it was dying. All of a sudden last night it was completely gone and all of sudden these were all around it. Counted 5, I was able to remove 5 but it looks like they laid eggs as well. Hope they don't hatch.
IMG_20180423_153103254.jpg

Tritoniopsis elegans nudibranch. They eat soft corals. Looks like you might have eggs too.

MaMe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best was a Pavona coral that came on live rock. Yesterday, I would have said the worst was the annoying colonial hydroids that spread like crazy.
But that was yesterday. I added 3 nasarius snails yesterday. Within hours one was eaten out of its shell and surrounded by slime. This morning, there was slime all over my LR and I found a Oenone Fulgida worm eating another nasarius snail! Luckily since it was occupied, I was able to grab it with tweezers and a net. That sucker was well over a foot long. I then saw two more, a big and a small later today. I was able to get the small guy. Guess I need to build a trap!

Ewelina

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best hitch hikers were bristleworms and brittlestars the worst hitch hikers were aptasia,majano and asterina starfish.

Chris’s fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first started, I bought 1 rock for my 72 gallon. I put it in the tank and went to throw the box/bag away and found a baby snowflake moray.

Worst, as of yesterday, was an unidentified urchin.
IMG_20170220_134625.jpg
A snowflake Moray?! Do you still have it?

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back