So what's everyone's Tap TDS and how do you handle it?

What TDS are you dealing with?????

• Total voters

Dan I

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very fortunate, crazy you can only be a few towns away and have such a drastic difference in TDS. What kind of system are you running? Standard 4 stage?

I run the BRS 4 Stage 150 GPD plus water saver. I have a booster pump, but don't use it. Last time I installed it the booster pump it was not working properly. I need to go back and try to reinstall it and fine the issue.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the past little while I've been reading lots of threads on RODI selection questions and seen some responses here and there about some who have insanely high and insanely low TDS and pressure coming from there tap. And it really got me wondering how wide of a range there really is out there.

So I'm going to throw it out there and hopefully get some good info on various locations stats and how reefers overcome them. So where are you? Where are you getting your water from and what kind of TDS and/or PSI are you tackling? What system do you use to do it? Anything you want to change about it?

For me I have 240 TDS and 85psi coming from the street here in Calgary. 75GPD 4 stage Spectrapure with a BRS water saver upgrade kit (plumbed in series) and 3 stage TDS meter, gets me 2 TDS after the Dual RO filters and 0 after single DI. I love my system and the only thing I'd add is another DI stage, toyed with the idea of adding another RO stage just to see what it would do.
This is a Awesome idea for a thread!!
I use the brs 75 gpd 6 stage
187-TDS from tap
60-PSI

Palm Springs California
The summers are so extreme here the tap water runs warm and it causes my unit to make 5 gallons every 1hr 15 min with 5-7 tds coming from the membrane then 0 after the duel di

Cjud7982

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a brs 150gpd I think it's a 4 stage with dual membrane. I am on well water in western New York. I had to adjust my bladder tank pressure and regulator to get up to around 60 psi at the unit. I only run my unit when my ato is getting low or when I need to fill my mixing station. When I first start the unit I read around 90ppm, so I flush for about 20 minutes and it drops down to less than 10ppm. I've never changed any cartdridges, membranes or resins and always get 0ppm out of it. However my filters do have an orange rusty tint to them. I have high iron in my well I think. Should I be changing any of the resins, filters, or membranes even if I get 0 ppm? It's literally been 2 years since I set it up.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Incoming tds is 450-500 from my city supplied water. Psi is 82. I use a 4 stage ro/di from buckeye hydro. After the 75gpd membrane, I'm at 24 tds. After my single stage di, 0. I replace my prefilters and di resin about every 3 months.
;Facepalm3 months ouch

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a brs 150gpd I think it's a 4 stage with dual membrane. I am on well water in western New York. I had to adjust my bladder tank pressure and regulator to get up to around 60 psi at the unit. I only run my unit when my ato is getting low or when I need to fill my mixing station. When I first start the unit I read around 90ppm, so I flush for about 20 minutes and it drops down to less than 10ppm. I've never changed any cartdridges, membranes or resins and always get 0ppm out of it. However my filters do have an orange rusty tint to them. I have high iron in my well I think. Should I be changing any of the resins, filters, or membranes even if I get 0 ppm? It's literally been 2 years since I set it up.
Woah?! I would start to heavily doubt those tds meters haha

OP
OP
J

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a Awesome idea for a thread!!
I use the brs 75 gpd 6 stage
187-TDS from tap
60-PSI

Palm Springs California
The summers are so extreme here the tap water runs warm and it causes my unit to make 5 gallons every 1hr 15 min with 5-7 tds coming from the membrane then 0 after the duel di

I thought so ;) I don't think I've seen two situations/setups that are the same yet. Are you happy with the 60PSI going through the 6 stage? Do you thinking boosting it might increase your overall production?

How often do you run your system? Two years might be a little long for your carbon and DI and your membranes are probably pretty close to there life expectancy. Honestly I was in the same position you are in now, filters were yellow, DI resin had pretty much all turned yellow and I was still getting 0 TDS (After a year). But for the $25 it cost to replace the sediment, carbon and DI resin I just replaced them all anyway. The membranes are definitely more pricy though but after two years of use I'm sure they have more than paid for themselves anyway.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought so ;) I don't think I've seen two situations/setups that are the same yet. Are you happy with the 60PSI going through the 6 stage? Do you thinking boosting it might increase your overall production?

60 psi is plenty for the six stage with one membrane and it exceeds the 75gpd bench mark.
especially in the summer here haha it’s unreal.

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run the BRS 4 Stage 150 GPD plus water saver. I have a booster pump, but don't use it. Last time I installed it the booster pump it was not working properly. I need to go back and try to reinstall it and fine the issue.

What was the issue with the pump?

60 psi is plenty for the six stage with one membrane and it exceeds the 75gpd bench mark.

Ahhh I thought for sure you'd be running dual RO with that TDS. On that note, what do you run in your 6 stage if not dual RO or DI???

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh @JoshH you must have missed it. At the end of my first post I mentioned I have 0 tds after my Duel DI

Aha sorry I missed that, but even with dual DI are you running dual Carbon or sediment filters as well?

Dan I

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What was the issue with the pump?

Not sure, I thought I installed it wrong then I as I went over with BRS customer service. It was fine. I sent it to them and they tested it to find any defects. It worked fine. They sent me it back and still no luck. I think I just need to spend a day tinkering with it. Last time I did, I closed the flush valve I was able to adjust the psi when I adjusted the booster pump. However, when I opened the flush valve my psi just goes back to 35.

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Exactly, glad to see you say that. People go crazy with expectations of PSI and RO/DI systems.

I can't speak for dual membrane setups like the unit from BRS, but I can say that while more pressure is better, it's certainly not necessary. Dow rates their 75GPD membrane at 50PSI. This means that at 50PSI of pressure, you should get the exact product water and rejection rates that Dow quotes in their manual.

dow manual.JPG

Dow's manual also shows a graph of what type of product water flow you can expect at various pressures. Dow's 75GPD membrane is the top line in the graph below. Note that the product water is 75 GPD at 50PSI:

pressure.JPG

I don't mean to say that there's no reason to ever run a membrane at higher than 50PSI. But, if your pressure is "only" 50 PSI, relax. For Dow 75GPD membranes, that's plenty. Again, this is only for single membrane setups. But my point stands.

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly, glad to see you say that. People go crazy with expectations of PSI and RO/DI systems.

I can't speak for dual membrane setups like the unit from BRS, but I can say that while more pressure is better, it's certainly not necessary. Dow rates their 75GPD membrane at 50PSI. This means that at 50PSI of pressure, you should get the exact product water and rejection rates that Dow quotes in their manual.

dow manual.JPG

Dow's manual also shows a graph of what type of product water flow you can expect at various pressures. Dow's 75GPD membrane is the top line in the graph below. Note that the product water is 75 GPD at 50PSI:

pressure.JPG

I don't mean to say that there's no reason to ever run a membrane at higher than 50PSI. But, if your pressure is "only" 50 PSI, relax. For Dow 75GPD membranes, that's plenty. Again, this is only for single membrane setups. But my point stands.

I wonder what dows recommended PSI is for dual membrane setups. I've never checked the PSI after my first membrane so it would be neat to know, although I guess as long as it's no less than 50 that's all that matters.

Last edited:

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aha sorry I missed that, but even with dual DI are you running dual Carbon or sediment filters as well?
I run one sediment filter one 5 micron carbon block and one single micron universal carbon block
My water supply doesn’t use chloramines and very little chlorine

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder what dows recommended PSI is for dual membrane setups. I've never checked the PSI after my first membrane so it would need to know, although I guess as long as it's no less than 50 that's all that matters.
I think they answer this on a brs video between 60-70 psi idk for sure but I’ll double check and they don’t use a pressure gauge in between membranes just before. tho running one in between might help gauge when the first one would need replacement more accurately I would think

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they answer this on a brs video between 60-70 psi idk for sure but I’ll double check and they don’t use a pressure gauge in between membranes just before. tho running one in between might help gauge when the first one would need replacement more accurately I would think

I'll have to watch the vid again it's been quite a while TBH. And an extra in between the two I'm sure wouldn't hurt either. I might pick up another PSI meter just for that purpose.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll have to watch the vid again it's been quite a while TBH. And an extra in between the two I'm sure wouldn't hurt either. I might pick up another PSI meter just for that purpose.
That would be cool please post your findings if you do!

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AirWaterIce Hurricane dual home/reef... slightly upgraded.
The base unit comes with an inline carbon filter, I added a standard canister for normal carbon cartridges. It also came with a single stage DI cart, I added a 2nd stage.

Well water comes in ~300 on my TDS meter. Through sediment, 5m carbon (just one, I don't have to worry about chlorine or chloramine), and RO membrane. Normally, RO water runs 7-9 on the TDS meter after the RO membrane. Waste water goes to the swimming pool during the summer, down the drain in winter. RO water stored in a 5g pressure tank, feeds a faucet at the kitchen sink, and feeds the ice and water in the fridge. Premeate pump keep the pressure in the storage tank equal to well pressure. From there, it goes back through the 2 stage DI, and to my sump room. Splits there to the timed solenoid/float valve arrangement on my ATO reservoir, and to a manual valve for filling my water change barrel.

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

dow manual.JPG

pressure.JPG

I guess so. I mean it works yes of course but at 75 psi you are now making 118 gpd while saving a bit in resin consumption and water expense. If you live in a cold area where your cold water may only be like 40° at 50 psi it's going to take a really long time if you need to make 30 gallons of water.

Most good units have a gauge before the membrane, I also use a second one before my sediment filter. You could put another one after the membrane I guess but I don't believe pressure matters much at that point.

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess so. I mean it works yes of course but at 75 psi you are now making 118 gpd while saving a bit in resin consumption and water expense. If you live in a cold area where your cold water may only be like 40° at 50 psi it's going to take a really long time if you need to make 30 gallons of water.

Most good units have a gauge before the membrane, I also use a second one before my sediment filter. You could put another one after the membrane I guess but I don't believe pressure matters much at that point.

My spectrapure came with a pressure gauge preinstalled, what we were talking about was adding a second one after my first membrane but before my second membrane(BRS Water saver upgrade so no preinstalled gauge). Mostly to just see the pressure loss after the first to see what my second one is getting:) curiosity you know

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 34.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 24.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back