So what's everyone's Tap TDS and how do you handle it?

What TDS are you dealing with?????

• Total voters

coder0000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also burn through DI and it is because my source TDS is very high. My pre-filtration removes so much and the DI gets slammed. May want to check what the TDS is after RO before DI to give you a better idea of how well the membranes are doing.

Right. My original measurement of 130 was after carbon/sediment (but pre-RO). My new measurement post-RO membrane is around 1 ppm. So the resin shouldn't be shouldering too much of the load...

Kev311

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 to 5 tds here, so I guess there is something to be said about living with all this rain here in Oregon lol

Doclight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
480 tds city water. I run the BRS 6 stage with dual DI cannisters. 0 on output! :) The dual keeps you from having to reload as often.

OP
OP
J

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 to 5 tds here, so I guess there is something to be said about living with all this rain here in Oregon lol

What type of system do you run? Just Dual DI? Or a regular setup??

480 tds city water. I run the BRS 6 stage with dual DI cannisters. 0 on output! :) The dual keeps you from having to reload as often.

Do you find the dual DI more efficient, using less resin in the long term because you can fully exhaust one before swapping??

Doclight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Do you find the dual DI more efficient, using less resin in the long term because you can fully exhaust one before swapping??
Yes..more efficient, and don't have to worry about "oops it went out I need to order more now!" lol

C-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a TDS of 160 out of tap. Pressure is about 60 psi. But, I use the AquaticLife Twist in 4 stage which says optimum pressure is 80. So I'm right in the middle.

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes..more efficient, and don't have to worry about "oops it went out I need to order more now!" lol

Definitely had one of those moments lol always a good thing to avoid. What system are you running?

I have a TDS of 160 out of tap. Pressure is about 60 psi. But, I use the AquaticLife Twist in 4 stage which says optimum pressure is 80. So I'm right in the middle.

Interesting they suggest such a high PSI when most others say around 50-65. How are you liking your Aquatic life Twist?? Have you made any upgrades to it at all?

C-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oops I meant maximum pressure is 80. Optimum is 65 my bad. But that puts me only 5 psi below optimum. Makes me wonder why I have so much waste...

I love it. Easy to use, small, and quick. Haven't had to replace anything yet and get 0 tds water out of it. I'm planning on eventually getting another RO membrane to run the water through a second time after the first membrane to reduce waste water. Supposedly it cuts waste to next to none.

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oops I meant maximum pressure is 80. Optimum is 65 my bad. But that puts me only 5 psi below optimum. Makes me wonder why I have so much waste...

I love it. Easy to use, small, and quick. Haven't had to replace anything yet and get 0 tds water out of it. I'm planning on eventually getting another RO membrane to run the water through a second time after the first membrane to reduce waste water. Supposedly it cuts waste to next to none.

Well even at optimum rejection rates you're still producing roughly 3 Gallons of waste for every 1 Gallon of the good stuff. And that's pretty much the standard across the board. Adding a second membrane won't cut your waste to next to nothing but it will cut it down significantly.

Kev311

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I picked up a brs deluxe 6 stage chloramines unit from a friend 4 years ago and haven’t had to change any cartridges yet but my needs are small (40 gallon Breeder)

Mike Reef Addict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're right on the cold water slowing down your production, but if you're making 118GPD, you ideally should still have a product to waste ratio of 1:4. If you're making 118 GPD of product water, you should be sending close to 480 gallons down the drain per day to keep your membrane from developing mineral deposits. You don't get free water at higher PSI. If you do by restricting your waste water, you're shortening the life of your membrane.

Additionally, you would only be saving resin if the product water was significantly lower in TDS at higher pressures. This can be the case, but it's not guaranteed.

I'm not saying that it's not better to have higher pressure. But people go to some pretty crazy lengths to boost their pressure when they're already running 50-60 PSI. I don't think this is a good way to spend time and money.
Lol I only blow off 5-10 galloms at a time with a 50GPD unit in the fall it took me 1:45 to run 5 gallons off I had to up the time by 15 minutes to two hours it hit 56° today an I almost overflowed my container I set an alarm on my phone for 1:45 an it didn't go off! I better check now and see if it is set for am so it dont2wake me up lol

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really, I change the filters with the exception of the RO filter itself every 6 months. I don't see a need for a booster pump or a 5th stage etc.

I was thinking more on the lines of a second RO but you're not really producing a ton of water so not entirely needed, I guess more of a luxury:cool:

watdachuck

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking more on the lines of a second RO but you're not really producing a ton of water so not entirely needed, I guess more of a luxury:cool:
Ahhhh, my unit is 100 GPD. I have a 20 gallon mixing resovoir that I refill after each change for the next two. 10 gallon bi-weekly changes in the 160, mainly to siphon/clean the substrate.

I have a 30 gallon ATO resovoir I refill every two weeks. Back left in the photo from when I installed it.

I can't imagine needing another unit, but I would love one of those 1,000 GPD monsters just to speed things up.
0804ae5c7e51cfc1f50724ca23685041.jpg

OMGitsManBearPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone - I just created a thread entitled 861 TDS from the Tap... Any Ideas?

A member linked this thread and said you guys might be able to help. If you have the time to help, I could use it over there exploring ideas.

To keep this thread on point:
My title says it all - Today I learned that I have 861 TDS, Chloramines, Bromine and other major toxins that make me never want to drink basic RO again.... Thank god for Dasani... Now... how do I get this down to zero to make my reef work? Come help if you have ideas!!!

In the meantime, I’ll read through this thread to see what’s already been discussed!

JimFuller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have between 150 and 230 TDS in Billings, MT. I use a 150 GPD water saver BRS 4 stage RODI unit. I get 65 psi from. The city. I only run the system once per month or so, just when I need to fill the 75 Gallon upper RO tank. I get 0 TDS out and so far have 0 TDS from the storage tank.

I end up replacing the filter and DI resin once a year. I only supporr a 75 Gallon Display tank at the moment. The bottom 75 gallon tank is for mixed saltwater. Eveeything is plumbed to do push button water change and ATO replentishment. I make about 60 to 70 gallons of RODI water at a run.
69b0c664c003a8f5a9baa1759e5fbbee.jpg

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have between 150 and 230 TDS in Billings, MT. I use a 150 GPD water saver BRS 4 stage RODI unit. I get 65 psi from. The city. I only run the system once per month or so, just when I need to fill the 75 Gallon upper RO tank. I get 0 TDS out and so far have 0 TDS from the storage tank.

I end up replacing the filter and DI resin once a year. I only supporr a 75 Gallon Display tank at the moment. The bottom 75 gallon tank is for mixed saltwater. Eveeything is plumbed to do push button water change and ATO replentishment. I make about 60 to 70 gallons of RODI water at a run.
69b0c664c003a8f5a9baa1759e5fbbee.jpg

I'm going to steal your storage tanks;)

Those look awesome!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 18 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back