So what's everyone's Tap TDS and how do you handle it?

What TDS are you dealing with?????

• Total voters

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the past little while I've been reading lots of threads on RODI selection questions and seen some responses here and there about some who have insanely high and insanely low TDS and pressure coming from there tap. And it really got me wondering how wide of a range there really is out there.

So I'm going to throw it out there and hopefully get some good info on various locations stats and how reefers overcome them. So where are you? Where are you getting your water from and what kind of TDS and/or PSI are you tackling? What system do you use to do it? Anything you want to change about it?

For me I have 240 TDS and 85psi coming from the street here in Calgary. 90GPD 4 stage Spectrapure with a BRS water saver upgrade kit (plumbed in series) and 3 stage TDS meter, gets me 1-2 TDS after the Dual RO filters and 0 after single DI. I love my system and the only thing I'd add is another DI stage, toyed with the idea of adding another RO stage just to see what it would do.

Last edited:

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My source water is horrible, anywhere from 325 to 375 and only about 60PSI. I have a 6 stage RO/DI system to combat this :)

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My source water is horrible, anywhere from 325 to 375 and only about 60PSI. I have a 6 stage RO/DI system to combat this :)

Awesome crabs, are you running dual RO or DI? And I've seen some say there TDS is 700+ :eek::eek::eek::eek: really makes my 240 seem like nothing;Hilarious

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome crabs, are you running dual RO or DI? And I've seen some say there TDS is 700+ :eek::eek::eek::eek: really makes my 240 seem like nothing;Hilarious
I have dual 75 gallon per day ro membranes and a single large di canister. I am planning to add another di canister down the road as I am going through DI pretty quickly. Probably a canister every 3 to 4 months...which i guess isn't bad now that I think about it.
Pu45IJrh.jpg

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have dual 75 gallon per day ro membranes and a single large di canister. I am planning to add another di canister down the road as I am going through DI pretty quickly. Probably a canister every 3 to 4 months...which i guess isn't bad now that I think about it.
Pu45IJrh.jpg

Looks like just enough room for maybe a 3 stage DI?? Loved the video BRS put together about the advantages of dual and triple stage DI setups.

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our regional (Vancouver) tap water reads 7-8 TDS, the RO membrane is more than enough to reduce that to zero. I think there's a few places in the states with similar quality, one less headache.

That's some pretty clean water, Not sure if the cost of houses are worth the cleaner water though;)

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm 350+ TDS tap, ~84psi, 6-8TDS out of the RO

Running an cobbled together RO/DI system, Spectrapure 3 stage w/ an added RO membrane (parallel) going into 4 DI stages. No reason for 4 other than I initially bought an Aquatic Life dual DI, and later bought a Spectrapure dual DI with TDS meter pre-installed.

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm 350+ TDS tap, ~84psi, 6-8TDS out of the RO

Running an cobbled together RO/DI system, Spectrapure 3 stage w/ an added RO membrane (parallel) going into 4 DI stages. No reason for 4 other than I initially bought an Aquatic Life dual DI, and later bought a Spectrapure dual DI with TDS meter pre-installed.

As long as it works that's all that matters! I find a lot of systems seem to be a healthy mix of components from multiple manufactures which makes recommending one specific system for a newcomer difficult

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tap is 13-14 TDS and pressure is reduced coming into my house to 68 psi. Yes I am sure :p

Edit - I see I am late to the party. lol

Never too late to the party, is the reduction done for your entire home or just for your RODI? Given such a low TDS do you run a simplified system or still a full blown contraption of filters?

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never too late to the party, is the reduction done for your entire home or just for your RODI? Given such a low TDS do you run a simplified system or still a full blown contraption of filters?

Entire home. There's a reducing valve on the inlet to the house. It was set at 60 when we moved in, when I installed the RODI I played with it and it will max out at 74. I set it at 68.

I just use a basic four stage, 1 micron sediment, two micron carbon, 100gpd membrane and DI. The filters and DI last a long time.

XNavyDiver

Insightful answer loading... please wait.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In TDS has been around 180-190. I run a 6 stage RODI, and change out the resin about every 3 months so far.

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a well and my TDS is usually 55-60 out of the tap. I never used to use a RO/DI until about 2 years ago when I decided to change my FOWLR to a Reef.

I have a BRS 150G 4 stage that I got locally for under a 100 that was very lightly used. Came with everything that is included in the box from BRS. Still had original filters and 2 extras

IMG_20171202_152522.jpg

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
500--> water softener 350--> SpectraPure 90GPD CSPDI--> 0

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazingly good tap water here in Navarre FL, 25-30ppm; only chlorine is used to eliminate slight sulfur smell in the source water.

Brien

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm making water right now and my source TDS is 3. The highest I've ever seen it is like 10. I guess we're fortunate to have good source water.

nashorn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In San Fran I have 40-60 but I'm on a hill so low water pressure.
I run a sps tank and just use the tap water with prime.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back