So what's the record for a hiding wrasse?

tgafish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I transferred my Melanurus wrasse from my QT to my DT on Feb 29. I still have yet to see him out of the sand other than twice when vacuuming the sand. He shot out and buried himself immediately both times. Stopped vacuuming the sand in the third week to hope he would come out. Last 3 days I have run the lights 24/7 to see if that would draw him out as that worked in the QT when he would go for a few days at a time. I kind of gave up hope for him and started poking around for him and wouldn't you know it I hit the spot, he popped out and immediately buried himself again LOL. Not seeing a bunch of hermit shells or snail shells laying around so I'm not sure what he's eating. He's in a 46 bowfront with lots of rock (about 75 lbs). I thought maybe he jumped out through a small slit around the return and the dog ate him or something. Anyway I think he's going for the record or thinks he's a nassarus snail? Either way it's kind of a bummer as he's a beautiful fish

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well a few months ago i left the screen top off after maintenance one night. My wifes favorite fish has not been seen since(yellow coris). I keep telling her it is just hiding when she is around....so i am going to say at least 3 months. Also WTB yellow coris wrasse.

Rjmul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Until your wife finds it in her backpack.
True story

OP
OP
tgafish

tgafish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So yesterday morning I saw him swimming around like he's been doing it since the day he got in there LOL. Ate real well and looks healthy. Same thing today. Tomini tang is not very happy about him and keeps an eye on him moving him out of certain areas. Not nipping him but bum rushing him. Wrasse seems to see him as a slight irritant vs being scared by it. Guess he wasn't going for the record afterall. It's good to see him in my DT after all these months in hiding and QT

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Believe it or not. This goes back Probably 15 years ago. I had a Lunar Wrasse and a Red Coris Wrasse in a 180gal. When they were smaller, they got along well. Probably 3-6 months and then the fighting began. One day the Coris Wrasse doesn't show up. After a couple weeks, I figure it died. Years later, I'm moving my tank. As I'm grabbing handfuls of sand I get the scare of my life when something large wiggles through my hands. It turned out to be my old Coris Wrasse. It was almost colorless...but it was it and still very much alive.

boeingn747

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I transferred my Melanurus wrasse from my QT to my DT on Feb 29. I still have yet to see him out of the sand other than twice when vacuuming the sand. He shot out and buried himself immediately both times. Stopped vacuuming the sand in the third week to hope he would come out. Last 3 days I have run the lights 24/7 to see if that would draw him out as that worked in the QT when he would go for a few days at a time. I kind of gave up hope for him and started poking around for him and wouldn't you know it I hit the spot, he popped out and immediately buried himself again LOL. Not seeing a bunch of hermit shells or snail shells laying around so I'm not sure what he's eating. He's in a 46 bowfront with lots of rock (about 75 lbs). I thought maybe he jumped out through a small slit around the return and the dog ate him or something. Anyway I think he's going for the record or thinks he's a nassarus snail? Either way it's kind of a bummer as he's a beautiful fish
I have a blue spot leopard wrasse that has been hiding for over 3 weeks now. I know she is alive still. I think something is up with her. I just don't know when she would be eating. I come out in the middle of the night to see if She is out then and I never seem to see her. I am puzzled. Thoughts anyone?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 37 43.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back