So who’s ordered the new Apex A3 Pro all ready?

Reefer Matt

Officially Official Account
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apex Jr would be awesome if only it came with an outlet for heater control. It's poo to me without it. Just my opinion.
But still, you can always use a wifi inkbird controller.

OP
OP
A_Blind_Reefer

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No way. New units have Aquabus ports.
Yeah I know they have aqua bus, for some reason I didn’t think they spoke eb4/eb8 but again I’m probably wrong. I thought they were forcing us to upgrade energy bars, I had heard that somewhere

edit. I know they work with the 2016 apex, so hopefully they work with this one as well! I’m pretty sure you’re right and I just heard rumor and speculation.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sure but if something was wrong with the inkbird and I am away, I have no way to control the heater or turn it off yet I invested $300 to slowly watch the tank burn :loudly-crying-face:

Ya, you could just have a house sitter go by I suppose but it's still seems like a big.. miss.. to me. The original Apex Jr had 4 outlets :) I would have hoped to see something like that for a "Jr" but I suppose that is why it is a monitor and not a controller but... it just seems deceptive I guess in a way.

Maybe it is because the article says:

Many called for a cut-price, slimmed-down Apex device and Neptune Systems looks to have fully delivered on that with the A3 Jr. It is an Apex, it uses the Fusion app and can potentially do as much as any other Apex. They just equipped it with fewer ports and a stripped-down starter bundle to hit that entry-level controller price point

Which is a bunch of BS because it looks like it can do nothing except monitor, not control :p It is a entry level monitor not controller ;)

Reefer Matt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure but if something was wrong with the inkbird and I am away, I have no way to control the heater or turn it off yet I invested $300 to slowly watch the tank burn :loudly-crying-face:

Ya, you could just have a house sitter go by I suppose but it's still seems like a big.. miss.. to me. The original Apex Jr had 4 outlets :) I would have hoped to see something like that for a "Jr" but I suppose that is why it is a monitor and not a controller but... it just seems deceptive I guess in a way.

Maybe it is because the article says:

Many called for a cut-price, slimmed-down Apex device and Neptune Systems looks to have fully delivered on that with the A3 Jr. It is an Apex, it uses the Fusion app and can potentially do as much as any other Apex. They just equipped it with fewer ports and a stripped-down starter bundle to hit that entry-level controller price point

Which is a bunch of BS because it looks like it can do nothing except monitor, not control :p It is a entry level monitor not controller ;)
What I do is use a cheap heater with a built in thermostat, and use the controller as a backup.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Im not quite sold on it yet or at all as I am satisfied with 2016 version and at $899 and NO salinity pro- Nahhh.
The regular version is released at midnight tonight- Like a new video game release

25th Anniversary Edition. Includes special 25th logo badging, in addition the 25th edition includes a thank you letter personally signed by Curt, limited edition t-shirt & hat.

Key New Features in our A3 Series:

The A3 Pro will include all new, industry-first, Liquid Level Sensor (LLS) which will have the ability to measure and monitor the depth of water and a new optical multi-surface leak detection probe that works on any surface and is epoxied for repeat use.

The most successful aquariums are those where the owner has the most understanding of what is going in their little world-in-a-glass-box. However, the real key to enjoying this hobby is to do that without making it a full time job!
Owning the Apex is the best way to get you back to focusing on the things you love like your fish and coral, and less about temperature issues, pH levels, light timers, dosing tanks, vacation plans, etc.
The most important aspect of having an Apex though is the disaster prevention it provides. The Apex will notify you when things go bad, giving you time to take action and prevent an aquarium catastrophe.
Of course you also unlock the door to more advanced things such as LED dimming, variable pump control, auto top-off, calcium reactor control, ozone control, auto dosing of elements, auto-feeding your fish, and much more!
Neptune Systems A3 Apex Pro System -- The most complete experience of monitoring and control for the discerning aquarist
  • Fully equipped A3 Apex Pro base unit
    • 4 FMM Ports
    • 4-Channels 0-10V Variable output
    • 6 Switch Digital Input
    • 2 Aquabus Ports
    • 2 pH/ORP probe ports
    • 1 Salinity* probe port
    • 1 Temperature probe port
    • Both WiFi & Ethernet compatible
    • Soft-touch finish
    • New built-in audible alarm
  • Control up to 13 individual power connections with the Energy Bar 832
    • ONLY power bar on the market to be ETL/UL certified specifically for aquarium use
    • 8x 120 VAC outlets
    • 3x 1LINK outputs for WAV, DOS, etc.
    • 2x DC24V outputs for accessories (small pumps, solenoids, fans, etc.)
    • 3x AquaBus Ports
  • Track temperature, ORP, and pH with included lab-grade, double-junction probes
  • Continuous monitoring of water-level depth with new Liquid Level Sensor
  • Reliable and reusable new Optical Multi-Surface Leak Detection Sensor
  • Set reminders, log testing and dosing information, and access your tank from anywhere with Apex Fusion

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not quite sold on it yet or at all as I am satisfied with 2016 version and at $899 and NO salinity pro- Nahhh.
The regular version is released at midnight tonight- Like a new video game release

25th Anniversary Edition. Includes special 25th logo badging, in addition the 25th edition includes a thank you letter personally signed by Curt, limited edition t-shirt & hat.

Key New Features in our A3 Series:

The A3 Pro will include all new, industry-first, Liquid Level Sensor (LLS) which will have the ability to measure and monitor the depth of water and a new optical multi-surface leak detection probe that works on any surface and is epoxied for repeat use.

The most successful aquariums are those where the owner has the most understanding of what is going in their little world-in-a-glass-box. However, the real key to enjoying this hobby is to do that without making it a full time job!
Owning the Apex is the best way to get you back to focusing on the things you love like your fish and coral, and less about temperature issues, pH levels, light timers, dosing tanks, vacation plans, etc.
The most important aspect of having an Apex though is the disaster prevention it provides. The Apex will notify you when things go bad, giving you time to take action and prevent an aquarium catastrophe.
Of course you also unlock the door to more advanced things such as LED dimming, variable pump control, auto top-off, calcium reactor control, ozone control, auto dosing of elements, auto-feeding your fish, and much more!
Neptune Systems A3 Apex Pro System -- The most complete experience of monitoring and control for the discerning aquarist
  • Fully equipped A3 Apex Pro base unit
    • 4 FMM Ports
    • 4-Channels 0-10V Variable output
    • 6 Switch Digital Input
    • 2 Aquabus Ports
    • 2 pH/ORP probe ports
    • 1 Salinity* probe port
    • 1 Temperature probe port
    • Both WiFi & Ethernet compatible
    • Soft-touch finish
    • New built-in audible alarm
  • Control up to 13 individual power connections with the Energy Bar 832
    • ONLY power bar on the market to be ETL/UL certified specifically for aquarium use
    • 8x 120 VAC outlets
    • 3x 1LINK outputs for WAV, DOS, etc.
    • 2x DC24V outputs for accessories (small pumps, solenoids, fans, etc.)
    • 3x AquaBus Ports
  • Track temperature, ORP, and pH with included lab-grade, double-junction probes
  • Continuous monitoring of water-level depth with new Liquid Level Sensor
  • Reliable and reusable new Optical Multi-Surface Leak Detection Sensor
  • Set reminders, log testing and dosing information, and access your tank from anywhere with Apex Fusion
Oof, I didnt notice the '*' that says you do not get the probe that is listed above :grinning-face-with-sweat:
That is like 200 additional... totally missed that

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just use Ranco controllers. Bulletproof.

Kasa power strips have been rock solid for me too.

Really I don’t even need a full controller and wouldn’t buy one for a new tank. I don’t really care about pH or ORP. Salinity probe can’t be trusted. Uhh why do I want a controller again?

Reefer Matt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just use Ranco controllers. Bulletproof.

Kasa power strips have been rock solid for me too.

Really I don’t even need a full controller and wouldn’t buy one for a new tank. I don’t really care about pH or ORP. Salinity probe can’t be trusted. Uhh why do I want a controller again?
Yup, they are not a necessity, but for some reefers, they save a lot of time and hassle. I have the EL version. No salinity or orp probe. Mine is voice activated with the Amazon echo device as well. It helps when feeding multiple tanks.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
well they discontinued the EB8. Maybe the EB4 will be around?

Because a $300 monitor becomes a $600 monitor if you need a EB32... and controlling a heater is probably THE most important thing to have. Which the Jr can not do out of the box...

Seems... stupid to me :)

Because for $600 you can just get the A3 Apex.

Ryan said it is a far better buy to get the Apex instead of the Jr if you plan to add the 832 later. For just a heater, I would get the EB4 while we can (I literally bought one a couple weeks ago to run my halides) and call it a day.

You could also plug a heater controller into a smart plug and just manually turn it off if you get a heat notification. You also have the choice to run an Eheim heater on a Finnex controller and that buys you 2 levels of protection.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oof, I didnt notice the '*' that says you do not get the probe that is listed above :grinning-face-with-sweat:
That is like 200 additional... totally missed that

Truth is...98% of us aren't missing anything without the salinity probe. They have also been backordered world wide for months on end

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Truth is...98% of us aren't missing anything without the salinity probe. They have also been backordered world wide for months on end
I understand the swap for the two new sensors and can see value in that - it is incredibly easy to check salinity I suppose..

Last edited:

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In theory you could get similar data from the level sensor over a period of time as well through ATO - or at least know that you are not dumping fresh water in.. or at a consistent rate

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 108 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back