So who’s ordered the new Apex A3 Pro all ready?

OP
OP
A_Blind_Reefer

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True, the display will offer that function. Opening up the fmm for this feature is nice. A bit late to the party but it is nice to have this feature without the need to purchase a display module.
I agree, I just think it’s funny that they basically deleted the local alarm with the 2016….unless you bought a display separately, they were included previously, and now….years later….it’s a selling point

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, I just think it’s funny that they basically deleted the local alarm with the 2016….unless you bought a display separately, they were included previously, and now….years later….it’s a selling point
Just like the salanity probe removal is also a feature. Delete the salinity probe, toss in an fmm and raise the price by 25%. Win win win.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m pretty sure the wav will be replaced by the mp here pretty soon. Why pay sicce to make pumps when you make them in house under a different brand. Especially when they only last two years. The dos, I don’t know. It’s bullet proof if you don’t get it wet. It’s freakin loud, and much larger than it needs to be. I’m curious if they replace it with versa. Sky’s too, maybe ditched for radions. I can’t see making duplicate, competing products across the board for eternity. The atk, I don’t have experience with, but I have many of the optical sensors for other things and they’ve been flawless.

I highly doubt we see this level of integration and combining of items. There are some people that will never buy a Radion but will buy a Sky in a heartbeat. Or vice versa. So eliminating one of them just eliminates potential customers.

Now we might see an Apex able to control a Versa, Vectra, Vortech, Radion, etc...but they will still make both brands.

All conjecture and opinion of course

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Welcome to the new ways business operate. Just wait for Apple to bring touch ID back but under the screen and tout it as the safest way ever to unlock a phone! Might even see them offer a headphone jack back at some point

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just like the salanity probe removal is also a feature. Delete the salinity probe, toss in an fmm and raise the price by 25%. Win win win.

A2 Apex $880 retail
LDK $155
LLS $60
Total $1095 but has "lower level" leak detection

A3 Apex Pro $900
Salinity probe* $198
Total $1098 but better leak detection and new temperature probe** design

*Pretty useless probe IMO for most of us. I'd rather save the $200

**Really shocked they never talked about this. Fits regular probe holders now instead of that huge monstrosity

Aquarist76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the new A3 Pro. I'd rather have the new accessories and FFM than a salinity probe. Plus I have an extra salinity probe I've never use lying around; got it for my Apex EL and never hooked it up. I have 2x Apex A2 and 2x Apex EL. I'm gonna get the A3 Pro just to have everything built into the main controller. I've had a couple of FFM modules have trouble getting detected so this hopefully will work better (?). Plus free Tshirt and hat so, ya know. Also have nearly $300 in unused BRS gift cards so that helps.

The real question though is how "limited" is this 25th Anniversary A3 Pro and are they gonna just sell non-anniversary A3 pros after these are sold out. Or is this a buy it now and miss out as they'll only have the regular version and jr after this?

Edit: watched that long video and found my answer kinda. Once the Anniversary editions sell out they'll sell just non-anniversary Pros. No word on how "limited" they are lol. Might hold off until reviews then before I take the plunge.

Last edited:

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is preventinting anyone from using a single i/o port to set up 6 simple float switches to provide the same information? 1 inch, 2 inch, 3 inch, 4 inch, 5 inch, 6 inch of water. Spread them out if your want more depth.

Last edited:

herozero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whar is preventinting anyone from using a single i/o port to set up 6 simple float switches to provide the same information? 1 inch, 2 inch, 3 inch, 4 inch, 5 inch, 6 inch of water. Spread them out if your want more depth.
Nothing. And some people don't want to deal with 6 floats. Nothing stops them from the liquid level either.

gbru316

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whar is preventinting anyone from using a single i/o port to set up 6 simple float switches to provide the same information? 1 inch, 2 inch, 3 inch, 4 inch, 5 inch, 6 inch of water. Spread them out if your want more depth.

Nothing. But that isn't quite the same thing.

THat gets you resolution of an inch. The liquid level sensor can sense changes of 0.1"

Besides, 6 float switches are probably going to cost about the same as a single liquid level sensor. They're reasonably prices, IMO.

OP
OP
A_Blind_Reefer

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I highly doubt we see this level of integration and combining of items. There are some people that will never buy a Radion but will buy a Sky in a heartbeat. Or vice versa. So eliminating one of them just eliminates potential customers.

Now we might see an Apex able to control a Versa, Vectra, Vortech, Radion, etc...but they will still make both brands.

All conjecture and opinion of course
You could be right. From a financial standpoint, and in the long run, it doesn’t make sense to have multiple factories with multiple engineers and employees working on competing products for such a niche industry. At some point it would make sense to bring them all under one roof and cut duplicate staff. It the hobby was much bigger, maybe you could have a ford, Lincoln, Mercury or Chevy, Buick, Oldsmobile, Pontiac, Cadillac business model. I don’t think the wav example is far off as they have a longevity issue and are bought from sicce. I doubt that will continue to be a product as it stands. I guess they could make a Neptune branded mp with the 24v connector as a direct replacement. I know people love the sky’s but they certainly don’t put a dent in the radion market share. Like you said though, conjecture and opinion

Aquarist76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well BRS sold out of their stock of all A3 versions in less than an hour. Guess someone wants them.

Aquarist76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a glitch on the site. Took me forever to get mine added and ordered

Ended up getting one. It would say add to basket and then immediately disappear and say OOS. I was able to click quick enough on the add to basket before it disappeared and got one. Well at least now I got one. A3 PRO.

Thx

The illusion of scarcity always makes things seem more desirable. LOL!

andye81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just want an updated energy bar for Australia! Been waiting for ages, there wasn't even a 2016 model (as far as i could tell, could be wrong).

I had to order the previous gen on ebay to get my setup working with the 2016 Apex. Plus the 1 link as the old energy bar only had aquabus.

Last edited:

miltonkl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just want an updated energy bar for Australia! Been waiting for ages, there wasn't even a 2016 model (as far as i could tell, could be wrong).

I had to order the previous gen on ebay to get my setup working with the 2016 Apex. Plus the 1 link as the old energy bar only had aquabus.

Why wasn't there an AUS version? Is the only difference the plug? Seems easy enough to just throw an adapter on the 2016 model--though you'd be out of luck on needing to pay international shipping to get it still. :(

andye81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why wasn't there an AUS version? Is the only difference the plug? Seems easy enough to just throw an adapter on the 2016 model--though you'd be out of luck on needing to pay international shipping to get it still. :(
Technically, you could use an adapter to plug into your wall. Replace power leads on existing equipment with US or EU leads. And then use adapters for anything with fixed power leads like my heaters etc.

Will most likely have to do that, as Neptune doesn't seem to mind that people are moving. away from Neptune in Australia due to this.

Medic755

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a used 2016 apex with FMM, lunar module, and various other add-on. I can’t justify spending all that for what I realistically already have. I would maybe consider it if they were selling the brain stand alone just for convenience in my stand to free up some space. Or once the current brain dies.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 35.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back