So who’s ordered the new Apex A3 Pro all ready?

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only reason I would ever upgrade...... Maybe buying a trident. But now that my system is older and mature, I only need to test once a week. So testing isn't an issue anymore.

The trident would just satisfy the geek in me.

OP
OP
A_Blind_Reefer

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My EB32 stopped working recently. It is a few years old... meanwhile I have two EB8's working perfect, one is the old black label...

:rolleyes:

I won't upgrade, don't care about fluid monitoring. If anything, I would like to swap to hydros. If this boring upgrade is all Apex is offering for the next how many years... may push me that way. I would have liked to see apex in a new nice modern housing and some thought put into organization so it could be set up very clean and less bulk.
Agreed, pretty basic. I think most were hoping for more of an earth shattering, breakthrough over just throwing the fmm module into the head.

OP
OP
A_Blind_Reefer

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only reason I would ever upgrade...... Maybe buying a trident. But now that my system is older and mature, I only need to test once a week. So testing isn't an issue anymore.

The trident would just satisfy the geek in me.
Same boat. With my vision, a trident would be great! A stand alone trident that also did nitrate and phosphate would be amazing! Having to buy into a whole new ecosystem just to get Alk, ca, and mg is just not worthwhile for me

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same boat.

Been using hanna checkers for so long, it only take me 10 minutes once a week to test my tank.

I would also agree that if they came out with a trident 2.0 that did nitrate and phosphate, I would most certainly jump on it. But for only ALK, CAL, and MAG( I only check this maybe once a month), the juice isn't worth the squeeze.

OP
OP
A_Blind_Reefer

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ill wait patiently for the apex 2016 prices to come down. Neptune will fool enough people to buy for frankly a minimal upgrade.

I'm waiting on apex classic support to die. Then I have a decision to make.
So, some….not all, of the 2016 Apex packages….not stand alone, are 15% off at brs.

OP
OP
A_Blind_Reefer

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same boat.

Been using hanna checkers for so long, it only take me 10 minutes once a week to test my tank.

I would also agree that if they came out with a trident 2.0 that did nitrate and phosphate, I would most certainly jump on it. But for only ALK, CAL, and MAG( I only check this maybe once a month), the juice isn't worth the squeeze.
Hanna’s have been a lifesaver for me. I have a pipette set to 10ml so I just stick it on n the tank and withdraw until it stops. Which is great not being able to see hardly at all. I use the seeing ai app on my phone to read the Hanna display to me. My tank would be dead if not for those!

oreolk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the process of setting up a clown/anemone tank and going with a hydros controller and wave engine. I have an Apex on my 300gallon reef with a hydros wave engine controlling the flow. There's a classic on the old clown/amenone tank . None of the new features do much for me to want to upgrade. In fact I'm considering switching some control over to hydros on my main reef.

Reefer Matt

Officially Official Account
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ill wait patiently for the apex 2016 prices to come down. Neptune will fool enough people to buy for frankly a minimal upgrade.

I'm waiting on apex classic support to die. Then I have a decision to make.
Heads up, they are $100 off right now on BRS.

HBtank

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I have multiple eb8 and eb4 units with zero problems over ten years! Knock on wood. I think the bugs have been worked out of the eb832s now, but I’m still nervous about changing over
Yeah I have an EB4 and EB8 from 2006, both on a first generation Aqua controller Jr. (the blue face), the whole system has ran flawlessly for 16 years. I have no plans to upgrade it, although I have a new tank planned and one of these new controllers will likely end up on it.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, some….not all, of the 2016 Apex packages….not stand alone, are 15% off at brs.
That deal isn't enough to make me jump, I can get it now with no sales tax through a LFS I deal with, which comes to 10% off, daily. I'll wait for the second hand market to flood first.

OP
OP
A_Blind_Reefer

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A pretty lackluster "upgrade" in my opinion. I do like that they have the new little entry level model for those that want it. There is nothing new and thus no incentive to buy a new one.
You mean to tell me that you don’t want the quote soft touch finish, darker grey color so it doesn’t match any other Neptune product, built in fmm, a thank you card, a hat and shirt for $900! Ha

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only issue I have ever had, the random reboot one since the "new" unit came out. Doesn't happen all the time, but I do get it once in a while.
Worse case in my situation a classic will loose connection to fusion on occasion, requiring me to kill power to the head unit. That's all I deal with. Partially that's my fault as both houses have a mesh wifi which occasionally goes on the fritz.

OfficeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I presume this was created due to manufacturing shortages for each module and level of complexity it creates. I have so many I finally ditched Apex for the RS ReefBeat app on led, wave, dosing and maintenance overall. I still use it for auto water changes and fluid monitoring for ATO and AWC fill and flush with heater control. If they ever offer an API that works with an outlet on/off control, I'll probably ditch them entirely.

To me this looks smart as the only core items I really needed were ph/temp with ATK from FMM. I do have a trident so that is one thing for the Apex.

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My old Aquacontroller II still did everything on the big tank.
Now that I'm downsizing there will be open plugs on the old EB8.
I even bought a used unit years back, just in case, so I really have 2.
The newer stuff is not as reliable for me.

Reefer Matt

Officially Official Account
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same boat.

Agree. I have the trident, but I have a 100% sps tank that uses a lot of alk and cal.

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree. I have the trident, but I have a 100% sps tank that uses a lot of alk and cal.
As do I. SPS dominant. I go through about a gallon of 2 part every other week. Thinking about switching to a calRX here pretty soon.

w8lifts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what’s the appeal on these controllers? I use Wi-Fi smart plugs on everything on my tank, and calcium reactor just keeps my tank Alk at 9.2 99% of the time. Just curious on what I’m missing, I definitely like tank gadgets and what not just haven’t figured out why I would need one

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the New Apex Jr come with any plug contol? Like the old one bad 4 controllable plugs.

It seems expensive if it has no EB4 or what not since I feel like you have to have some of those. Like why have a temp monitor and no way to control the heater?

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 58.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back