So who’s ordered the new Apex A3 Pro all ready?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Old apex jr was what you wanted, lol

Ya I had one! Then a Apex lite.. now I have. Apex 2016. I bought all of them used. Well the Apex 2016 was part of a tank set up I bought but I broke it down and sold all the parts and kept the Apex for essentially no cost after all said and done.

As long as the EB4 hangs around or used EB8s are available then the Apex Jr is immediately more attractive imo.

Reefer Matt

Officially Official Account
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reefer Matt

Officially Official Account
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These new devices won't convince most people to buy an Apex. There are those who feel that gadgets interfere with the reefing experience, and that is okay too.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the EB8s way more so it’s disappointing to hear that. They seemed to be much more reliable
They are. Between 4 EB8's and two eb 4's one failure in 7 years. The one that failed was a older eb8 'black' label. Replaced a TRIAC and back in biz.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. They actually lowered the prices on the last gen models. The Apex jr. Is $299
Well the pricing on the heads are without a eb832? Or am I reading it wrong? If no eb832 for the prices listed, its gone up.

Still is up overall, looks like the new apex jr has no outlets. You need a eb4/8 or eb832? If so the prices just went up and not a lil bit, lol. Especially with the price of a 832 alone.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I understand the swap for the two new sensors and can see value in that - it's is incredibly easy to check salinity I suppose..

Salinity is one of the easiest parameters to keep in check IMO. Just know if you are 2 part dosing you are slowly raising the salinity and have to deal with that. I take out a gallon or two of water and replace with RO water personally since I don't do routine water changes.

So they just raised the prices ultimately?!

I don't see where prices were raised?

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If the new jr comes with no outlets, that's a high bar to break in, price wise as you need a 832 also. At least the old Jr was essentially a eb4. To me that's a price hike.

The old Jr has been dead for years though. This new one didn't replace anything. It is essentially an all new offering since it is nothing like the old Jr. The old Jr had a ton of limitations but was a great controller. I ran one for close to 5 years.

For $300, you get a ton of monitoring and lots of options to upgrade if wanted. It also allows people to get into the Trident game if they want at a much lower cost.

OP
OP
A_Blind_Reefer

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The old Jr has been dead for years though. This new one didn't replace anything. It is essentially an all new offering since it is nothing like the old Jr. The old Jr had a ton of limitations but was a great controller. I ran one for close to 5 years.

For $300, you get a ton of monitoring and lots of options to upgrade if wanted. It also allows people to get into the Trident game if they want at a much lower cost.
$300 isn’t horrible for what it is. I think an entry level unit could be a little cheaper, but that’s going back to cheap and not upgradable vs a little more expensive with the ability to not have to buy up again. I just wish they had a stand alone trident that could link to an existing classic through fusion. I understand the Classic not having the ability to talk to it, but since fusion is cloud based, I wouldn’t think it to be too difficult to have a built in or even optional web server for the trident. An a3 pro head only option would be nice for those few people still running classics.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
$300 isn’t horrible for what it is. I think an entry level unit could be a little cheaper, but that’s going back to cheap and not upgradable vs a little more expensive with the ability to not have to buy up again. I just wish they had a stand alone trident that could link to an existing classic through fusion. I understand the Classic not having the ability to talk to it, but since fusion is cloud based, I wouldn’t think it to be too difficult to have a built in or even optional web server for the trident. An a3 pro head only option would be nice for those few people still running classics.

You can buy the Pro and sell the extras easy enough. Brand new EB832 should fetch around $225.

But grab the Jr at $300 if Trident is the biggest draw. I get it. Not the best solution but it is there if someone really wants

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

well it’s generally for budget people so if you can afford a trident you probably would buy the apex that comes with a eb32.

I don’t think there is a huge market for people who want a trident but not any outlets but I guess it has applications for those with hydros or GHL who want trident. They don’t have to go the whole system I suppose.

It could be an upgrade for apex classic users to get trident, etc. They already have EB8s.

Last edited:

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well it’s generally for budget people so if you can afford a trident you probably would buy the apex that comes with a eb32.

I don’t think there is a huge market for people who want a trident but not any outlets.
This. Outlets are a must.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the prices are on BRS. I think it ranges from $45-80. Which is way cheaper than I imagined being Neptune
I guess I could have looked. I didn't realize they had their pricing out already.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Now did they discontinue the EB8s to try and block people from getting an Apex Jr plus EB8 and try and pigeon hole them into getting a larger more expensive apex?

:thinking-face:

Probably.

If that's the case, the EB4 would have disappeared at the same time.

While they likely were trying to not cannibalize the higher offerings, there's also the very real fact that supply chain issues and labor have destroyed some items. If the EB832 was outselling the EB8 50:1 (made up numbers), I can see why they would cancel the one and put all remaining available parts that crossed over into the 832.

Different industry, but I'm in the swag business and for a while companies couldn't get the mesh for the back of the trucker hats. When they finally got some black mesh they had to decide do we use all this mesh on one color and meet that demand or mix it up on 5 different hats and meet demand for none?

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 37 59.7%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 16 25.8%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 8.1%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back