So who’s ordered the new Apex A3 Pro all ready?

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For all the people saying they have been running their unit for ~10 years, etc.. Do you keep it where it is exposed to salt at all? or do you have it well away from the tank/sump/cabinet?
I ask, because I see that even the new unit is not rated to be waterproof

Fishyfish22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I can't think of a single time I've ever complained when something I bought had a nicer finish on it. Even if I'm not supposed to handle it.
It's definitely not a complaining point. But the way they phrase makes it sound that a reason the cost is much higher between the pro/normal e3 is because it has a higher finish. (I know there are other reasons. Extra ports, extra probes, etc) but is the finish really that much of a selling point on something we won't be handling very frequently?

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For all the people saying they have been running their unit for ~10 years, etc.. Do you keep it where it is exposed to salt at all? or do you have it well away from the tank/sump/cabinet?
Mine is located within 1 foot of top of my tank literally mounted to the back of the tank for about 10 years now

OP
OP
A_Blind_Reefer

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how often are we supposed to handle the sky lights and the head unit that it being a soft-touch finish is actually a selling point?
I think they had some flex seal spray cans laying around the shop! Honestly, I’m giving them a hard time jokingly, kinda. I get it’s a 25th anniversary edition….. but the finish is a different color than every other component. I’d be a little ticked off I was one of those that has a custom display cabinet for thier goodies. I’m not, it’s all tucked away in a cabinet. I’ve had anniversary edition electronics in the past that are different in color than the original editions. Guess what happens when you send it in for warranty repairs…they send you a brand new, non anniversary unit as they were a limited run and no longer produced. To each thier own. I really don’t think people are buying it for the finish though, well maybe. I’m tactile weirdo that cuts all the tags out of my clothes and can only wear certain fabrics as I despise how some things feel. Maybe they’re targeting people on the spectrum!

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only 7 years with me (second hand) and it's always been in this situation (see picture). Previous owner sent it in once for repair but I believe this unit dates back close to the beginning as it has a low 4 digit serial number.

PXL_20220806_193746004.jpg

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tone definitely had Karen vibes lol I haven’t figured why so many people in the hobby tend to be so crabby. Let’s be more chill like Midas here lol
F0BA16D6-E098-46D1-A94F-979EE537C16A.jpeg

Nice goby. If you haven't seen them yet I highly recommend checking out Biota's Links Goby. I picked one up with some pink square anthias and they are amazing balls. Really cool little goby.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's definitely not a complaining point. But the way they phrase makes it sound that a reason the cost is much higher between the pro/normal e3 is because it has a higher finish. (I know there are other reasons. Extra ports, extra probes, etc) but is the finish really that much of a selling point on something we won't be handling very frequently?
I figured they were letting us know because it's going to stand out and people would have questions why it was darker than the rest.

I didn't see it as a selling point. Just as a finishing touch on the highest end option.

I think they had some flex seal spray cans laying around the shop! Honestly, I’m giving them a hard time jokingly, kinda. I get it’s a 25th anniversary edition….. but the finish is a different color than every other component. I’d be a little ticked off I was one of those that has a custom display cabinet for thier goodies. I’m not, it’s all tucked away in a cabinet. I’ve had anniversary edition electronics in the past that are different in color than the original editions. Guess what happens when you send it in for warranty repairs…they send you a brand new, non anniversary unit as they were a limited run and no longer produced. To each thier own. I really don’t think people are buying it for the finish though, well maybe. I’m tactile weirdo that cuts all the tags out of my clothes and can only wear certain fabrics as I despise how some things feel. Maybe they’re targeting people on the spectrum!

All the Pros will have that finish. The anniversary edition has the sticker on it.

At least that's what it sounded like. The non anniversary pros I've seen were the darker grey, soft finish.

The modules are dark grey already. They don't match the current head unit. They will match the Pro in color now.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured they were letting us know because it's going to stand out and people would have questions why it was darker than the rest.

I didn't see it as a selling point. Just as a finishing touch on the highest end option.

All the Pros will have that finish. The anniversary edition has the sticker on it.

At least that's what it sounded like. The non anniversary pros I've seen were the darker grey, soft finish.

The modules are dark grey already. They don't match the current head unit. They will match the Pro in color now.
Lol I don’t care if it’s purple as long as it does what it says and it works If that’s what people care about they have way bigger problems than

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine has been located in various spots on several tanks-- some of which have been in the cabinet with the uncovered sump, some completely in splash distance behind behind tank. I've had mine for like 11 years? The only thing wrong with my a1 is the display cable which is made of dental floss.

OP
OP
A_Blind_Reefer

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That’s what happens when you’re pretty much blind, I couldn’t see what they were talking about exactly. Still weird in that not everything is quote soft touch, whatever that means exactly. Personally I wouldn’t care…I have old black modules, newer gray modules. Every power brick and ballast/drivers are different, tunze blue, something red, it’s a disaster under my cabinet and along the the wall on a closet. I do see, well used to see back when I could, those perfect sumps where absolutely everything matches and it’s so clean you could perform open heart surgery without worry of infection. The fancy adaptive reef cabinet types with hidden wiring, neon Neptune logo, everything perfectly placed. No doors to hide the sump or electronics. Those kinda peeps, I’m thinking wouldn’t like the difference, although they would probably take everything apart and have everything custom painted to match anyway. Really, it’s just how they described and touted it in the video that has me poking fun at it. At least they’re honest in stating that if you already own an a2/2016 whatever, that there’s no reason to upgrade.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what happens when you’re pretty much blind, I couldn’t see what they were talking about exactly. Still weird in that not everything is quote soft touch, whatever that means exactly. Personally I wouldn’t care…I have old black modules, newer gray modules. Every power brick and ballast/drivers are different, tunze blue, something red, it’s a disaster under my cabinet and along the the wall on a closet. I do see, well used to see back when I could, those perfect sumps where absolutely everything matches and it’s so clean you could perform open heart surgery without worry of infection. The fancy adaptive reef cabinet types with hidden wiring, neon Neptune logo, everything perfectly placed. No doors to hide the sump or electronics. Those kinda peeps, I’m thinking wouldn’t like the difference, although they would probably take everything apart and have everything custom painted to match anyway. Really, it’s just how they described and touted it in the video that has me poking fun at it. At least they’re honest in stating that if you already own an a2/2016 whatever, that there’s no reason to upgrade.
Well, I just got my new apex from the LFS.....a discounted 2016. Lol.

OP
OP
A_Blind_Reefer

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never been to somebody’s house another reefers house who says look underneath my cabinet it’s so cool everything matches
Oh they’re out there! There’s the make a sump out of a 40 gallon breeder or plastic trough type, the spends three grand on a custom acrylic sump type, and everything in between

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh they’re out there! There’s the make a sump out of a 40 gallon breeder or plastic trough type, the spends three grand on a custom acrylic sump type, and everything in between
In case anyone is wondering, I'm squarely in the 40 breeder converted to a sump camp... Maybe in my next tank, I will have a 75 converted to a sump...

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone remember the "soft touch" plastic craze of the early 2000s? They all broke down into a sticky mess and were phased out.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 52 54.7%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 30 31.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back