So who else is excited about the new HYDROS Control 4?

MGarrison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1601499320575.png

CoralVue_Marketing

One minute of patience, ten years of peace.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went another way on my new build, but might have to throw.a control 2 on my wife's cube.

No worries! But don't punish wifey: she deserves the new, easier-to-use automation sensation from HYDROS. In fact, for the price of an auto top-off system, you can control, monitor, and automate your aquarium with the HYDROS Control 2. Connect an ATO pump to a Drive Port and a water level sensor to a Sense Port and it can be your auto-top off as well! It's superior to a standalone ATO because you can set rules and add sensors for greater protection and redundancy. No outlets would be occupied on your power strip, either. Plus, you can set up mobile alerts to notify you if there is a problem. Add-on additional accessories to detect leaks or report an ATO reservoir is running low. Why buy a standalone ATO when, for the same price, you can buy an aquarium controller that can be your ATO and so much more!

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries! But don't punish wifey: she deserves the new, easier-to-use automation sensation from HYDROS. In fact, for the price of an auto top-off system, you can control, monitor, and automate your aquarium with the HYDROS Control 2. Connect an ATO pump to a Drive Port and a water level sensor to a Sense Port and it can be your auto-top off as well! It's superior to a standalone ATO because you can set rules and add sensors for greater protection and redundancy. No outlets would be occupied on your power strip, either. Plus, you can set up mobile alerts to notify you if there is a problem. Add-on additional accessories to detect leaks or report an ATO reservoir is running low. Why buy a standalone ATO when, for the same price, you can buy an aquarium controller that can be your ATO and so much more!
I wouldnt consider it a punishment, but its a biocube, so i dont even run an ATO on it to date, i hand top off like once a week as needed, but we travel so id be more after alerts of things. I litterally only run a heater, and a powerhead pair on the tank outside of stock return pump etc. So it would be more for remote control of an outlet or 2 and alerting.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got to see the event. I really like what I seen. I am ready to give one a go. It seem close to what I am used to. DA had functions such as heater, fan, chiller, skimmer and etc. They did not have one called ATO but did have a float switch function where you could use a start input and a stop input. It also had a time on and time off setting similar to the ATO. I am not sure if you can use seperate inputs for start and stop here but if so then it will be very close.

Rit6942

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For that kind of coin better off just buying a basic APEX.........Neptune Systems APEX is the gold standard.

MGarrison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For that kind of coin better off just buying a basic APEX.........Neptune Systems APEX is the gold standard.
Here are some areas that I see Hydros doing better than Apex and the reason why I am looking to switch with my new build. I already have an Apex Classic but the cost to expand the system for my upgrade would be a lot less to switch to Hydros. Cost of an additional 4 outlets is only $39.99. Apex for 8 outlets = $159.95 - $279.95. Apex you have to run an aquabus cable to the outlets. Hydros is WiFi. This also applies to expanding the footprint of your system. If your mixing station is in the garage you have to run a long aquabus cable then add EB8 and whatever other modules you want. For Hydros you could just add a Control 2 and/or an outlet and sync via WiFi. Apex can get particually expensive if you just need one or two outlets in another location. Since you are limited to an EB4 or EB8. Where Hydros has a single outlet or 4 outlets. Apex you have to purchase additional modules to add specific functionality. Hydros runs off of the sense ports. e.g. You want to add flow sensors to Apex you have to purchase FMM ($99.95) plus sensors($20 - $100). Hydros you just purchase the sensors (no list price yet).

One other thing Hydros = IP65 rated. I had my Apex next to my 120 and all the aquabus ports had at least some corrosion on them.

Yes, I will agree that Apex has been around for a long time. I started with an AquaController III many years ago. Hydros will have issues but my experience with the Wave Engine they seem very quick to get the issues resolved.

Last edited:

Rit6942

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Obviously this is a personal opinion, but ive been using Neptune Systems controllers for 20 years and
have an Aquacontroller Pro still running flawlessly on a relatives reef tank still to this day with seasonal lighting.....lunar phase and tidal control........unheard of a few decades back.

The new Apex models are also fantastic. The open source programming code is easy to use.........the features available today are excellent and complete. The company is solid and won't be going away anytime soon......cant say that about anyone else. Not much you cant do on them to recreate nature in a small enclosed saltwater setup. Nothing else really comes close......

CoralVue_Marketing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Obviously this is a personal opinion, but ive been using Neptune Systems controllers for 20 years and
have an Aquacontroller Pro still running flawlessly on a relatives reef tank still to this day with seasonal lighting.....lunar phase and tidal control........unheard of a few decades back.

The new Apex models are also fantastic. The open source programming code is easy to use.........the features available today are excellent and complete. The company is solid and won't be going away anytime soon......cant say that about anyone else. Not much you cant do on them to recreate nature in a small enclosed saltwater setup. Nothing else really comes close......

There is a whole segment of the market that is unable to enjoy the benefits that automation, control, and monitoring provide because current solutions are too expensive. We believe there are key differentiators between our approaches that will become more obvious over time. For now, our focus is on making HYDROS available at a price everyone can afford with an app that anyone can understand. If we can help more hobbyists succeed and understand their aquariums better, that is good for our industry and everyone in it. We think there is room for another seat at the table and hope hobbyists will give us a try when we launch the Control 2 and Control 4 on October 31.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks awesome!

So the wifi power strip can connect to the hydros control?

To get a complete system, you would have to purchase the hydros control (2 or 4) and then a couple of wifi strips along with the relevant probes, correct?

CoralVue_Marketing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks awesome!

So the wifi power strip can connect to the hydros control?

To get a complete system, you would have to purchase the hydros control (2 or 4) and then a couple of wifi strips along with the relevant probes, correct?

We are going to offer Starter Packs:

But you'll also be able to buy the controllers individually as well as the accessories to piece together or add on to your HYDROS system:

Aside from cables, adapters, calibration fluid, etc., here are the HYDROS accessories available at launch 10/31:
  • HYDROS Smart WiFi Plug
  • HYDROS WiFi Power Strip
  • Pinpoint pH Probe
  • Pinpoint ORP Probe
  • HYDROS Temperature Probe
  • HYDROS Leak Sensor
  • HYDROS Rope Leak Sensor
  • HYDROS Rope Leak Sensor Extension
  • HYDROS ATO Kits
  • HYDROS Level Sensor
  • HYDROS Skimmer Sensor
  • HYDROS Temperature Sensor
  • HYDROS DC Solenoid Water Valve
  • HYDROS CO2 Solenoid Valve
  • HYDROS DC Water Pump
Hot on the heels of the Halloween releases, additional devices and accessories will follow. If there is something in particular you would like to see, let us know!

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the difference between the two temp probes?

One is a more normal probe that just sits in the water. The other has an external magnet that keeps it in place.

Right now I have the "normal" black one, but am looking forward to trying the magnetic version. Easier to mount.

So far my favorite accessory is probably the leak rope sensor. Goes around my entire stand, instead of just monitoring a single spot.

614F1E56-4A2F-49A8-A39F-3DC847D28C95.jpeg

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One is a more normal probe that just sits in the water. The other has an external magnet that keeps it in place.

Right now I have the "normal" black one, but am looking forward to trying the magnetic version. Easier to mount.

So far my favorite accessory is probably the leak rope sensor. Goes around my entire stand, instead of just monitoring a single spot.

614F1E56-4A2F-49A8-A39F-3DC847D28C95.jpeg

Ya I got that, I figured it might be different somehow else, also thanks for ID the rope leak! I was confused about that as well.

How do you have the setup already?

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been so excited about this controller for a while now. sighed up for the beta testing but did not get picked :( oh well.

with out having the controller- one thing I wish they did, and I totally under stand trying to keep the cost down so more people can get in to tank automation but offer more ports stat with a 4 and 6. IDK maybe that is just me but i think the control 2 and 4 will fill up fast.

Hey @Jeff@CoralVue wanna trade for a brand new reef pi? I bought in to another company 2 years ago now, trying to get reef pi to the market but then vanished. so I have this very nice controller but dont really have the time to learn all how to use it.
maybe your programmers want to play around with one? LOL

how about some "leaks" pun intended on other accessories coming down the pipe line.
I would like a dosing system auto water change system and an ATO pump that has more head pressure for those of us that have basement mixing stations.

oh a long level sensor think pressure gauge that can tell you % of your ATO res.

WvAquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking into controller and control 4 is a top runner. Compatibility with alot of pumps. My only thing is the trident control of dosing for future is nice. But I am still researching options.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking into controller and control 4 is a top runner. Compatibility with alot of pumps. My only thing is the trident control of dosing for future is nice. But I am still researching options.

I think the HYDROS would be a great controller for you. lets see how the launch goes but i have a feeling its going to go smoothly.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 134 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back