So who else is excited about the new HYDROS Control 4?

CoralVue_Marketing

One minute of patience, ten years of peace.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watching Hydros with great interest. I’d love to monitor my tank and automate water changes from my basement reservoirs. Never owned a controller before.

We can definitely help you achieve those goals!

I'm really excited about this controller. I've been debating other brands for years but was ultimately put off by the endless amount of extras I had to buy in order to use them to their full potential. This along with the wave engine seems like it ticks all the boxes at a very fair and reasonable price point.

We are trying to make the barrier of entry into aquarium automation as affordable as possible. That's another reason for our approach of not having a central brain. Although I can't really speak to what's on our product roadmap at the moment beyond the Control 2 and 4, suffice to say they'll be several standalone devices that you can use to automate various aquarium tasks. Then, later on, if you want to... you'll be able to connect all those standalone devices together. Or not! It's really however you want to do it. It's nice to have that flexibility, though.

CoralVue_Marketing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well today was the day i was gona get into apex... i opted to leave the apex on the shelf. Might look into hydros for The Black Gallery Aquarium!

That's awesome! Thank you for your early support! We look forward to helping you automate your systems! ;Happy

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The more I think about it the more I can’t wait to get this controller. It will allow me to monitor the following for my system:

Temp, ORP, pH and flow!
Is there plans for a salinity or dissolved oxygen monitoring probe?

CoralVue_Marketing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The more I think about it the more I can’t wait to get this controller. It will allow me to monitor the following for my system:

Temp, ORP, pH and flow!
Is there plans for a salinity or dissolved oxygen monitoring probe?

Yes and yes!

S.Pepper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the RO Varios2 return pump with the octopulse 2 wavemaker... I get that the hydros will control these. Will it be able to control my Tunze ATO 3155. I'm looking to get rid of as many power bricks as possible and clean up my wiring.

CoralVue_Marketing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the RO Varios2 return pump with the octopulse 2 wavemaker... I get that the hydros will control these. Will it be able to control my Tunze ATO 3155. I'm looking to get rid of as many power bricks as possible and clean up my wiring.

If you wanted to use the WaveEngine pump controller to power and control your Octo Pulse 2 and VarioS-2 pumps, you would need the following:
I don't see a way to connect and lose all the cordage for your Tunze ATO.

Although, looking ahead, you could use our Control 4 by itself or combined with the WaveEngine to help simplify things.

Let's set aside the WaveEngine for a moment.

In addition to all the other things you can do with a Control 4, you could:
  • Connect both your Octo Pulse 2 and VarioS-2 via 0-10V to control them (you would still need their external controllers and power bricks in this scenario)
  • Connect single or dual optical sensors to Sense Ports to use for an ATO
  • Connect a float switch via 0-10V that you could also use as part of an ATO
  • Connect a small pump to a Drive Port to power it and use it as your ATO pump
In the above scenario, you could eliminate cord clutter for the ATO by connecting everything to the Control 4.

You could also use a Control 4 with a WaveEngine. Just plug the Control 4 into the WaveEngine's Command Bus Port. Now they are communicating with each other and the WaveEngine (pump controller) is powering the Control 4 (the aquarium controller).

S.Pepper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you wanted to use the WaveEngine pump controller to power and control your Octo Pulse 2 and VarioS-2 pumps, you would need the following:
I don't see a way to connect and lose all the cordage for your Tunze ATO.

Although, looking ahead, you could use our Control 4 by itself or combined with the WaveEngine to help simplify things.

Let's set aside the WaveEngine for a moment.

In addition to all the other things you can do with a Control 4, you could:
  • Connect both your Octo Pulse 2 and VarioS-2 via 0-10V to control them (you would still need their external controllers and power bricks in this scenario)
  • Connect single or dual optical sensors to Sense Ports to use for an ATO
  • Connect a float switch via 0-10V that you could also use as part of an ATO
  • Connect a small pump to a Drive Port to power it and use it as your ATO pump
In the above scenario, you could eliminate cord clutter for the ATO by connecting everything to the Control 4.

You could also use a Control 4 with a WaveEngine. Just plug the Control 4 into the WaveEngine's Command Bus Port. Now they are communicating with each other and the WaveEngine (pump controller) is powering the Control 4 (the aquarium controller).

Excellent! Thanks for the detailed reply.

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always happy to help!
Just thought of another question. The drive ports on the control 2 and 4. Would you be able to use that to power and control an ice cap 2k for example? I'm interested in the wave engine, just don't see the need to buy it for 1 pump. My tanks aren't close enough together to be able to use it on multiple tanks....

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I‘m holding off on a controller until the Control 4 is released. I think I’m most curious to see the programming interface and what it will balance ease of use with sophisticated algorithms. The whole idea of controlling equipment via AC power seems so outdated.

CoralVue_Marketing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just thought of another question. The drive ports on the control 2 and 4. Would you be able to use that to power and control an ice cap 2k for example? I'm interested in the wave engine, just don't see the need to buy it for 1 pump. My tanks aren't close enough together to be able to use it on multiple tanks....

The Drive Ports wouldn't provide enough power for your Gyre, but you could control it with a Control 4 using the 0-10V Port. You wouldn't get all of the features a WaveEngine could deliver, but I agree it would be overkill to use a WaveEngine for a single pump. I plan to connect at least three pumps to the WaveEngine for my next build and the main reason is to eliminate cord clutter and power bricks. Granted, I'm excited about the limitless opportunities for customizing flow ... but yeah, I really don't want to set up another aquarium with the birds nest of cables that my last two have had. I am in awe of systems where hobbyists have all their equipment meticulously placed and cords carefully arranged. I know it would make things a lot easier and clear up a ton of space.

I‘m holding off on a controller until the Control 4 is released. I think I’m most curious to see the programming interface and what it will balance ease of use with sophisticated algorithms. The whole idea of controlling equipment via AC power seems so outdated.

You can see glimpses of the HYDROS app in this playlist on our YouTube channel. The controllers use the same app as the WaveEngine (in fact, all HYDROS devices use the same app) and we've been creating a bunch of educational material to help users get started. It's pretty simple and straightforward. Unfortunately, you won't find much in the way of the controller portions of the app, but I think you'll get a general idea of how to navigate around and adjust settings. We are working very hard to create a robust help section (example) for every HYDROS product so you won't have to go digging into forums to find answers. Unless, of course, you want to... then we are here to help! :D

Last edited:
Back