So who keeps Dascyllus and -Glydon sp.?

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know they’re the jerks even among damsels, but I wonder who keeps the Domino and Striped Damsels and the various -Glydon species? Do you feel their aggressiveness is overstated?

What types do you have? How long have you kept them for and what are their tank mates? Are they as easy to pair as Chrysiptera sp. ?

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have any in my tank (I have Chrysipteras), but at the Public Aquarium where I work on weekends, they had a pair of dominoes in ... I want to say that it was about an eight-foot tank. With that much water to play in, they seemed (every time I came by with a tour group) to be well-behaved citizens, and even spawned on several occasions. It was pretty cool to be able to point out the fish quivering along the rocks, or the powdered-sugar eggs that would be tended by the pair for the next several days.

I do think that space is key though - they're smaller fish, but they like to have some elbow room.

~B.

SDguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I was going to do a Dascyllus species, it would only be the HI one.

unnamed.jpg 71KnO9C3r6L._AC_SL1000_.jpg Domino_20Damsel_20-_20Hawaiian_20_Dascyllus_20albisella_500x.jpg

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
negative

I trust the plethora of info out there that they are butt holes

they get ugly when big, they're mean, they're big for damsels. i don't see why i'd ever keep them

there are a bunch of other damsel genus i'd try first. if you want to get riskier than chrysiptera, pomacentrus has some cool looking fish

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a single pair of fish in a tank, then dominoes or humbugs can work well but mix them with anything that isn't massive or super aggressive, is just asking for trouble.
If your happy to look at the same two fish for over a decade and get bitten everytime you go near the water then they would be fun.

I quite liked the idea of a tank connected to a larger system with one of the damsel species that associates with anemones. I think that would be interesting but I'd never mix them with other fish as it's just not worth it.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 12 32.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 13.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 8 21.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.7%
Back