So you don’t use filter socks, look here

Discussion in 'Reef Aquarium Discussion' started by james983, Jan 12, 2018.

1. james983

james983 Active Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is what is removed from my system in 5 days with a filter sock. I️ don’t think I️ need to say anymore.

Bmwm235i, Zack K, Cory and 1 other person like this.
    Tags:

2. hybridazn

hybridazn Acro killer..... Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter 3RMAS Member R2R Excellence Award Photo of the Month Award Showcase Editor Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018 Partner Member 2019

Dang! I'd be removing that a lot sooner if mine looked like that haha

What micron sock do you use?

Cory and Zack K like this.
  3. Finhead

Finhead Active Member

Depends on how you keep your tank, I haven't run filter socks in over 2 years. No water chnages in the last year.

Cory, Zack K, Hazenight and 1 other person like this.
  4. Centurio

Centurio Active Member

In all fairness what you removed doesn't translate to what anyone else will remove from their systems. Also there's no way of knowing what's in that filter sock and whether taking it out is actually beneficial for other people's system. Some folks may be running their systems in a manner that keeping some nutrients in the tank is beneficial, or they may have other means of mechanical filtration that makes filter socks unnecessary.

Cory, Potatohead and Mandelstam like this.
  5. DSC reef

DSC reef Coral wasted R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor Reef Tank 365 Partner Member 2019

I'm using filter socks as well, to each there own. It removes a lot stuff and keeps the pumps clean.

Cory, Bmwm235i, Zack K and 2 others like this.
  6. madweazl

madweazl Valuable Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

No filter socks in almost 18 months and have never removed anything from the sump either. SPS still doing great with unmeasurable nitrates and phosphates of 0-.02. So what is it you were trying to say?

Cory, Zack K, MaddyP and 2 others like this.
  7. LuizW13

LuizW13 Active Member

Jeez, that's terrible! I myself prefer filter pads - mostly to keep pumps working well. I wonder what that looks like under a microscope.

Cory and DSC reef like this.
  8. DSC reef

DSC reef Coral wasted R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor Reef Tank 365 Partner Member 2019

I don't think the OP is stating you can't run a healthy, successful reef without a filter sock. Just showing what can be removed. My socks get nasty in 3 days. I ran the tank sockless for 8 months and everything did fine but I did not like the return pump needing to be cleaned more often and the reactors getting clogged. I prefer socks, there was no notable difference in nutrients with or without.

Cory, Zack K, Big G and 1 other person like this.
  9. GnarleyMarley

GnarleyMarley Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Photo of the Month Award Build Thread Contributor

I switched to mesh socks about a year ago and have not looked back! Keeps the food and larger particles out, and are super easy to clean!

Cory, redfishbluefish and DSC reef like this.
  10. Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley Reef Chemist Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Article Contributor Expert Contributor

lol

I guess you just don’t like particulates.

I do not want to remove it, and I let the detritus mud collect to a thick layer in my sump and refugia.

I think it is less than desirable to take food from the mouths of my filter feeders.

Cory, Reefnewb, S-t-r-e-t-c-h and 4 others like this.
  11. Caseyoidae

Caseyoidae Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor Catskill Reef Member Hudson Valley Reef Keepers

Think you may wanna crank up the skimmer :)

Cory likes this.
  12. clownfish chris

clownfish chris Active Member

My sps never looked better than just before I switched tanks. Color was just stunning. I had an inch of detritus benieth my rocks. I have been running socks because of the assumption that it is bad to have that build up. Colors now look pale. I’m taking out the socks.

Cory likes this.
  13. Syntax1235

Syntax1235 Active Member

What a waste to throw away all that food.

clownfish chris likes this.
  14. Cory

Cory Valuable Member R2R Supporter Article Contributor

Wow, thats bad. Definitley slowing down eutrophication with a sock! How many micron is it?

15. Rob Rowe

Rob Rowe Member

I personally run filter pad. Socks work for some folks but I guess it depends on what it is you want to achieve. It has been said over and over again in the hobby, what works for one guy doesn’t work for another. They may even have the same livestock. I have learned sometimes the hard way. If it works for you, don’t change what your doing. Even if you think you are improving your system sometimes it does the exact opposite. I have two drains and run a pad on one and nothing on the other. My OCD has me pulling pods out of my pad when I change them.....lol... one is enough.

16. Jeepguy242

Jeepguy242 Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

i only run socks when there are a lot of particulates in the water, for a couple of days... then back to no socks.... same with carbon, only when i feel the need...

i actually just put my socks in today because i am doing a large cleaning from a couple of months of neglect.... just to catch the nasties and i stirred up my sand a bit to get some GHA loosened up in a back corner, gonna let the sock get that out for me....

17. cracker

cracker Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

I like my dirty socks ! ;)

Cory likes this.
  18. Servillius

Servillius Active Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Reef Tank 365

All that lovely coral food. Poor things!

Cory likes this.
  19. james983

james983 Active Member

What I should explain is my tank is running over 10 years. There's plenty micro fauna alive and well in my system. I run an ATB 1050 Skimmer with about 400 gallons altogether which consists of a 180 gallon DT, 200 gallon sump, 60 gallon frag tank. At this stage I feel it's important to minimize detritus. Also, I feed my fish heavily and I blast my rocks regularly which obviously will increase what is removed by my filter socks. I don't believe what I'm removing with my technique is detrimental to my system at all. Many reefers run extremely clean systems, and I would not include mine as one of those.

Draft saved Draft deleted