So, you think you want to keep Xenia...

Susan Bates

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, even though I knew better, I allowed the girlfriend to talk me into putting Xenia into my 65.

I did this in the past, and already knew what was going to happen (( same reason I dislike mushrooms ))....

This is from 11 months ago,

65FTS.jpg

65FTSside1.jpg

And now from the other day (( mind you, I keep the right side's side glass free of them, and part of the left side's side near the MP10 ))

Side,

FTSside12_9_12.jpg

Front,

FTS12_9_12.jpg

Slight close up of the front,

FTS112_9_12.jpg

With flash,

FTS212_9_12.jpg

And for the heck of it, a close up of my golden lawnmower blenny,

blenny.jpg
I have just seen this, I can not grow it why???

Wicked5oh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read that if your water is too clean it won't take off as fast or as much.

carlson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your picture of the lawnmower blenny shows how he feels on the whole xenia situation
[emoji81]

Susan Bates

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any other type of coral in your tank?
Yeah it seems the ones they say are hard to keep do ok and the ones that are easy die, I am not happy with many of my corals, and i try to give them everything

jisherwood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I have read all of the series here and still no one has come up with a normal list of parameters for growing these creatures. I like some of you have tried and failed. Can some one who has success with these folks provided there tank parameters for growing.
I have 2 kessils on a 75 gal with 20 gal. refugium, BTA with 5 clowns, couple of frogspwns, hammer coral. will post photo soon. Thanks for the help and comments

MermaidTail

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I have read all of the series here and still no one has come up with a normal list of parameters for growing these creatures. I like some of you have tried and failed. Can some one who has success with these folks provided there tank parameters for growing.
I have 2 kessils on a 75 gal with 20 gal. refugium, BTA with 5 clowns, couple of frogspwns, hammer coral. will post photo soon. Thanks for the help and comments

FWIW: I have mine on a chunk of liverock DIRECTLY under both the HOB filter and in the path of my Koralia nano, and with the Fluval Edge, the filter and lights are under the same hood; so it gets high-direct flow and high-direct light. And they are growing like weeds, almost faster than I can handle, without bleaching. My lights are the Ultrabrite 27w LEDS that run on an hour of only blues, gradual ramp to white for six, back down to blues, then off, for a total of 8 hours.

jisherwood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have sterilizer, GFO, carbon, Kessils are a360w 8 hours schedule with ramps up to full power at 4 hours. Then after hour starts to ramp down to 10 pm 20160515_120457.jpg

Last edited:

Mini-30

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man that is awesome but at the same time, I can see your frustration. Xenia is a very cool coral. I like the way it sways in the current and the pulsing variety is awesome as well but I see how it could be discouraging at the same time. Good luck with what ever you decide to do with it. Leave it or clean it, either way it will be awesome.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have started me a Xenia tank....more to come in the future!

BRB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IS IT HARD TO REMOVE THE STALKS?
I LIKE XENIAS BUT ONLY TRIED IT ONCE BUT DIDNT HAVE SUCCESS... WANT TO TRY AGAIN BUT AS SOON AS I NOTICE IT GROWING, I WOULD PLAN TO DAILY OR WEEKLY REMOVE A BUNCH OF STALKS... ANY IDEAS TO HOW HARD IT WAS OR IS TO REMOVE FROM ROCKS/TANK?

Leslie Tabor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it seems the ones they say are hard to keep do ok and the ones that are easy die, I am not happy with many of my corals, and i try to give them everything
I have this problem as well! Killed my silver pulsing xenia (granted my BTA helped, but everyone said it would recover...no such luck) and I cant keep a clove alive to save my life...sigh

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Mine is growing well and FAST in a species only tank! :) Love to watch it pulse!

Robthorn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Easy to remove from rocks. I use curved hemostats and grab the stalk low and just rip it off.
It may leave a little spec which will grow back. Scrape that off if you don't want it back.

Ahgee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to try to comment on the previous posts during the course of today, but for now a couple short videos I shot last night. Didn't use the HD Flip (( not 100% sure where the girlfriend left it )), so it was just my phone -- didn't edit it, nor add any music.

For "Mr. D" you can see the blenny being used as a cave at the :20 mark.

Front side,

[video=youtube;4unLK5Doh8c]

Side side

They were all expecting food, hence the reason they were all at that part of the tank,

[video=youtube;dKnbPsmEA_g]

I love that your blenny has this look like...
0570f5be840015c627ecfb570d09c880.jpg

Back