So you think your torch corals don't like too much flow? Think again!

Torch corals need lower flow.

• True

Votes: 211 26.6%
  • False

Votes: 437 55.1%
  • THINK AGAIN and check the thread!

Votes: 145 18.3%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Makes me rethink my whole approach!

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got my torches on the top of my rocks in my mixed tank. They get as much or more flow than my acropora. A lot of light as well! They are happy so I just leave them alone for the past couple years. As long as the powerhead isn't directly a few inches away blasting the torch, they will handle a lot of flow imo. I have 2 gyre 250s and 2 tunze 6105s in my 200 gallon DD.

The torches will tell us if they are getting hit too hard in my experience.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have doubled the flow in my tank getting it ready for sps and my torch corals don't seem to mind, I just think they don't like constant strong flow, if the flow alternates between weak and strong I think they love it.

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can handle way more flow than we think; the key isn't to have direct flow but more turbulent multi-directional flow in the tank. Our little pumps can even scratch the surface of the amount of flow that our corals receive in the wild. One of the main reasons I have both Maxspect Gyres and MP40s in my tank. MP40 flow is too directional. With having the Gyres pushing water against the MP40 directional flow, I think I am essentially creating a more scattered flow approach.

Also think that if your torch isn't doing well that it may have more to do with the current tank conditions rather than flow. Sometimes running a ULNS could be the issue and others it could be the opposite by having too many nutrients. Also what are they being feed could have something to do with it as well. I cast feed phytoplankton to my tank just for making sure that my LPS behave more familiar to how I feel they do in the wild. Very difficult to change natural instincts in my opinion.

Last edited:

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As mitch says above its more of a directional thing. If you constantly blast your torch with strong one directional flow it will likely not do well but change that flow regularly and they can thrive.
I will say that it doesn't mean strong flows are prefered or best for growth.

Nicholas Dushynsky

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know torches can take flow but how much more can they take over hammers or frogspawn ? as having all types in the same tank, trying to dial the flow to keep all happy is quite hard in a small 24x18x18 tank with montipora digitata aswel.

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My torch is on a custom frag rack near the top of my tank and gets a lot of flow and light. Thing grows like a weed to the point I frag it and make around $300 a year in frags.

mikejrice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral in general can handle more flow than we imagine. It's adjusting to changes in flow pattern that is the danger.

ot7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I heard that if you don't want them to get too stringy you should lower the flow. How much truth is there to that?

Michael Naegeli

Captainspando
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I heard that if you don't want them to get too stringy you should lower the flow. How much truth is there to that?
That is true actually in lot of cases. Although I have several stunning gold torches that get a bunch of flow and they all stay stout and fat tentacles. I have a green torch which totally gets long and I wouldn’t call stringy but I have a couple lingering tentacles that sometimes do have a lil skinny look to them. Not like I’ve seen other torches lookin all stringy and banged up. In other systems. I think that’s a combination of water quality as well as flow. Mine look very healthy and fat

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My torches & uphylia can take quite a bit of flow . I have to turn it down though because the fragspawn is way too big & the flow blows it around & it stings it's neighbors

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back