So you want RO water faster?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Buckeye Hydro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you're probably familiar with residential scale RO systems of 75, or 100 gallons per day, and you may have wished for faster RO water production. Here's a 1,500 gpd commercial RO system with a custom control system we recently installed in our local public aquarium. The system produces about 1 gallon per minute, and simultaneously feeds four 500 gallon storage tanks. RO water sent to each tank can be controlled with a selector switch. The system runs at only 80 psi to minimize energy consumption, and it runs at about 50% recovery (a 1:1 ratio of concentrate to permeate). She's a beauty!

RO System.JPG

Control System.jpg

MaddyP

'Til Reefdom Come...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you're probably familiar with residential scale RO systems of 75, or 100 gallons per day, and you may have wished for faster RO water production. Here's a 1,500 gpd commercial RO system with a custom control system we recently installed in our local public aquarium. The system produces about 1 gallon per minute, and simultaneously feeds four 500 gallon storage tanks. RO water sent to each tank can be controlled with a selector switch. The system runs at only 80 psi to minimize energy consumption, and it runs at about 50% recovery (a 1:1 ratio of concentrate to permeate). She's a beauty!

RO System.JPG

Control System.jpg
Sweet setup!! Does this have a DI stage or is it possible to add a DI stage to such a robust system?

OP
OP
Buckeye Hydro

Buckeye Hydro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No DI on this particular system. If the customer had wanted it, and considering the water volumes involved, we would have gone with a DI tank rather than a DI cartridge. TDS of the RO water is apx. 5 ppm.

Last edited:

Cment

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW, thats a thing of beauty! I wish I could get a gallon per min HA!

OP
OP
Buckeye Hydro

Buckeye Hydro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a 1500 gpd RO with some add on's (recirculation needle valve and flow gauge, extra low energy membranes, high pressure switch, inline DM2 TDS meter

OP
OP
Buckeye Hydro

Buckeye Hydro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can find our commercial RO systems - along with our other RO systems here: http://www.buckeyehydro.com/ro-systems/

Will make a post soon about a 4000 gpd (2.8 gallons per minute) RO along with the pretreatment softener and carbon tank, and custom controller we're currently working on.

Russ

OP
OP
Buckeye Hydro

Buckeye Hydro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For you RO wonks out there, you may have noticed the 50% ish recovery on commercial RO systems. Trivia question for you: what is the biggest water quality issue that allows these systems to run at a 1:1 waste to permeate ratio?

Russ

OP
OP
Buckeye Hydro

Buckeye Hydro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The commercial systems do operate at higher pressure, but that's not the key thing.

OP
OP
Buckeye Hydro

Buckeye Hydro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chloramine can be present in feedwater to both residential and commercial systems, so... nope.

OP
OP
Buckeye Hydro

Buckeye Hydro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The biggest difference, is in the specifications for feedwater quality for commercial systems. Commercial systems are routinely run at 50% recovery (1:1 concentrate to permeate ratio), and nearly always specify that the feedwater must be softened - i.e., have less than 17 ppm (1 grain per gallon) Total Hardness. THAT's the ticket!

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can a normal home RO be run at that recovery ratio?How would I achieve that? I want to say last I measured I was somewhere around 2:1.

My feedwater is only 7!
upload_2019-4-29_18-48-27.png

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back