So you want to raise/trying to raise Dendronephthya and Scleronephthya

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since 1983 to present,(off and on), I've tried to keep alive and happy the corals under species Scleronephthya and Dendronephthya . And other similar type corals(softies ).
Information in the past was limited. Until now. It maybe possible to keep and culture these bueatiful creatures. I don't know about you, but I like a good challenge. Always think outside the box. I have a DT, for nps corals, 30 gallons, 90 gallon refugium, outside, plumb to DT. Chiller, (gets hot here in summer ), 3 sulfur denitrators, dosing equipment, no apex, all old school. Some test equipment, ph, orp, chemical regiments. See my diy tide control thread, to get an Idea, of set up. I obtained 12 nps softies. Carnation corals, orange flower coral, etc...

See short videos at YouTube under:
So you want to raise Dendronephthya and Scleronephthya

There hanging upside down or sideways. Sizes range 1/2" to 6". Three wavemakers, on one timer. I blend Chaetomorpha, strain add water, dose all day long on timer. The photo taken was on 3/1/18. Had this specimen since 1/15/18. Will post more photos soon, need to get better acquainted with camera features. They don't mind nitrates 20+, I've found out. The
Dendronephthya are hardy. Possibly found in Victoria Harbour, Hong Kong. Very high in good and bad nutrients in harbor.

Screenshot_2018-03-01-21-08-36-1.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot to mention water quality. Nitrates 5-10ppm, phosphates 0-.03, I dose calcium, ph 8.0-8.6, haven't tested lately alkalinity and magnesium. Temp. 75-80 degrees, 3 sulfur denitrators with crush coral. 1/4 hp chiller.

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your feeding regiment for your Scleronephthya and Dendronephthya? I think as my tank matures I might try one out when I am ready to take on the challenge.

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your feeding regiment for your Scleronephthya and Dendronephthya? I think as my tank matures I might try one out when I am ready to take on the challenge.

Sure, early morning remove macroalgae chetaeo, blend it, (small blender),strain it add DT water, dose on timer approximately 20 ml ,every 4 minutes all day. Add 3 ml vodka to each refugium,at night.

Last edited:

AnakinReefWalker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure, early morning remove macroalgae chetaeo, blend it, (small blender),strain it add DT water, dose on timer approximately 20 ml ,every 4 minutes all day. Add 3 ml vodka to each refugium,at night.

So you feed the tank blended up Chaeto? I never knew this could be done to feed reefs

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 43.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 25.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back