So you're how old and you have a saltwater aquarium?

How old are you?

• 13-18

Votes: 44 2.5%
  • 18-24

Votes: 105 5.8%
  • 25-34

Votes: 483 26.9%
  • 35-44

Votes: 547 30.5%
  • 45-54

Votes: 356 19.8%
  • 55-64

Votes: 194 10.8%
  • 65+

Votes: 66 3.7%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was thinking about ages and demographics of us crazy reef keepers and I thought it might make an interesting discussion about age. More specifically I'll kick it off with this question.

What, if any, does age have to do with maintaining a saltwater reef aquarium?

I'm also adding a poll about your age because it's been a while since we had one! Would love to hear your thoughts on this subject.

Untitled-5.jpg

therealman1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say age and maturity play an important role in reef keeping. When I was 14 I got my first salt water tank, and I just liked the idea of owning a tank and not the upkeep. My tank suffered because of it. 5 years later I restarted my tank with my old live rock and now I like the upkeep as well as the display part of the hobby. All of my friends that have seen my new tank always first comment on how much better the tank is looking.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
age is just a number I am 71 and feel and act a lot younger, I maintain both of my reef tanks as is nessesery and will continue to do so

I LOVE that attitude and that's exactly how I feel. Thanks for the perspective!

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first started life I thought age didn't matter. Now sometimes when I go to lift a 5 gallon bucket I wonder if I will drop it before I get it to the pour site. Speaking of sight, I couldn't see the AEFW eating my corals, I just watched them die for awhile last year. I finally decided that it was AEFW, never saw them but I started treating for them and I think they are gone. (What's that other Vibrant product called?)
And if my fish could talk they would demand that I purchase an auto feeder. I feed frozen mostly, and often forget to complete the 3 stages of that task, drawing a cup of water, adding a cube from the freezer, and after the cube thaws, pouring the food into the tanks. They are always so happy when the cup of water & food actually goes into their tank.
Cleaning the algae off the viewing panes is painful. I have radial neuropathy in my hands, arthritis that stiffens my back, attacks all my connective tissues (including the eye), and generally makes me grouchy most of the time. So I just scrape clear a little circle so I can peer into the tank from a couple of vantage points. I am waiting for summer when the weather is warmer to tackle the entire tank. I have a sump expansion project that I started 2 years ago that is also waiting for a warm spell, I got distracted building fences during the last time of opportunity, and it seems like projects for tank upgrades have be put on hold mostly because I'm falling apart as I get older.
So age doesn't have any impact at all, until your body gets old and wont let you do all the maintenance the tank might want.

Haggisman14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone's different, but I'd say typically either in college or on your own. There are so many thing that go into owning a reef that there does need to be a certain level of maturity and stability.

That being said, nothing wrong with a younger kid getting into the hobby as long as they're a family member that is also in it with them.

I got into the hobby myself when I was 22, took a break for about 10 years, and am now back in it!

35 over here

C-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm only 16, been in the hobby for three years now. I have no help from anyone in paying for any of my fish keeping stuff, in any aspect. Its all me. I work for my LFS as a service technician maintaining and installing tanks. I know a few younger reefers, but not many as young as me.

bked180

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
43 and started 6 years ago. I always had a freshwater tank growing up as a kid and for some reason I always needed a tank in my bedroom. I always wanted a saltwater tank but heard they were hard to take care of. Well whomever told me that was right. Lol! I started with a 8 gallon nano and now have a 180 built into the wall in my basement. Needless to say its addicting.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
43 and started 6 years ago. I always had a freshwater tank growing up as a kid and for some reason I always needed a tank in my bedroom. I always wanted a saltwater tank but heard they were hard to take care of. Well whomever told me that was right. Lol! I started with a 8 gallon nano and now have a 180 built into the wall in my basement. Needless to say its addicting.

Yes, it's additcting.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
33 here. Been in salt since 2005 (Sophomore year in college - moved to an apartment - set up 90 gallon). Had minimal freshwater experience before that.

Time has caused ups and downs with me and fish-tanking.

It was difficult early on, since I knew nothing, and I didn't really have any help.
Then over the next 10 years or so, my tank started to become more and more successful. I had lots of time, some money, and things became easier.
In my 30s, life gets in the way. Spouse, house, kids, etc. So it's harder now then it ever has been for me.

Age maybe doesn't matter in the "age discrimination" sense, but stage of life really affects hobbies.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 40 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back