So you've got your blue Squamosa's and black and white Maxima's, now what?

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few years back if a person had a blue Squamosa they had the holy grail of clams and a huge pocket book. Black and white Maxima's were also considered to be very rare and expensive too but if you knew how to search for them you could find one in time. Now that they are being farmed and really aren't a rare clam to find what would you consider to be your rare and unobtainable clam?

reefsponge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've been looking for the blue deras for about 5 years with no luck. Is the one you (skinz)used to have doing ok?

OP
OP
skinz78

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been looking for the blue deras for about 5 years with no luck. Is the one you (skinz)used to have doing ok?

I traded it off way back at SEAMAX and the guy I traded it too decided to keep it in a bucket in his hotel for like 3 days before he went home, it didn't make that trip....

DontMakeNoSense

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a blue squmosa last week. From my understanding the one that I got out of 4 were the only ones brought into the US. Iv been wanting one of these for over a year now if not longer. I was going to get 2 but the seller sold my other one before I could get it. Not the best pic but it give you the idea. It's the one in the middle.

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1408722550.509295.jpg

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to see more derasa clam varieties, black, bright blue... but for things that actually exist I am curious what the hybrid clams from LA will look like when grown out and see more experimentation in that area. Granted that isn’t a set goal like saying a set color, but it is an area that could see some cool things. I would say gigas breeding again, but there are not many people that can house an adult. To transfer to a new tank takes a forklift!

OP
OP
skinz78

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to see more derasa clam varieties, black, bright blue... but for things that actually exist I am curious what the hybrid clams from LA will look like when grown out and see more experimentation in that area. Granted that isn’t a set goal like saying a set color, but it is an area that could see some cool things. I would say gigas breeding again, but there are not many people that can house an adult. To transfer to a new tank takes a forklift!

I'm still skeptical that they are indeed hybrids. I think it's another marketing ploy.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe. I guess unless someone wants to fork out genetic testing we won't know, although LA has always been pretty good about being truthful IMO and the director sees far more clams than most of us ever will. It is his full time job after all. Even if these are not hybrids I think that concept warrants continued exploration by breeders, perhaps they can find something with hybrid vigor.

Tridacna squamosa x crocea hybrid clam pop up at LiveAquaria | AquaNerd

Loki

My skimmate doesn't stink
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! That is amazing for sure! I would love to see one of those in my tank :)

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back