Soaking/curing frag plugs or disk to remove phosphates

ddwbeagles

Northern VA Novice Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question for the reefing brain trust here. Recently I've read several threads where hobbiest have tested various frag disk/plug materials with most leeching out some phosphates into water column. I was a bit surprised to even see this was happening with ceramic versions. Although other than acrylic, ceramics are my least favored types. Being the "old schooler" I am, I tend to like standard plugs (ie. compressed argonite, sand, etc... These of course are the phosphate offenders. Keep in mind the amounts are fairly minimal, but it got me thinking.

Do you guys cure or soak your frag plugs/disks before using? (obviously not in your tank/sump) Or is this something I should not be concerned with. For what it's worth, I am running GFO in my tanks and phosphates always test low to zero, but that could be misleading too. How many threads have you read concerning low to now phosphates with huge amounts of alegea? Anyway, I digress.

OP
OP
ddwbeagles

ddwbeagles

Northern VA Novice Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What? - Not a single opinion on this or was it a stupid question as in:

Yes we soak our plugs - Dummy
or
The amount of phosphate leeching is too minimal to worry about
or
Go back to the Zoa form.......Beagle boyee'

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never cured mine. I just rinsed them in ro/di water to get any excess dust or whatever off of it. I really think if you have your nutrients under control putting a frag plug in or two will not make a difference. JMO On the other hand if you start a frag tank and put like 2 or 3 doz in then I might cure them beforehand.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%

Back