Sobering Moment DO probe failure

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Jonty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a sobering moment today; I have a DO probe that was purchased 12 months ago and recently I have had issues with the reading. Neptune support was great and worked through the problem; it turns out I have a bad probe.

The sobering part is that the warranty on probes and accessories is 90 days which caught me off guard. I should have checked before purchasing as I would not have bought a $900 probe setup( $699 probe, $99 module, service kit, tax, shipping $100) if I had been aware of an only 90-day warranty. I just thought I would put it out there for those considering buying the DO probe setup, as a serviceable probe I had hoped for many years of service to offset the cost.

I repeatedly asked the Neptune support representative is there was anything I could do and he said no he had asked two people in the office and my only option was to buy a new probe. I went to the Neptune warranty documentation, and there is this phrase in the warranty.

"Probes carry a 90-day warranty. If repair or adjustment is necessary and has not been the result of abuse, misuse, or accidental damage, within the 1-year period, please return the product with proof of purchase, and correction of the defect will be made without charge. "

I was not given this option. Apparently, the policy is not in practice. It is all rather disappointing.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, that is rough. Especially when you see a description like this on the BRS website.

upload_2017-3-2_7-41-5.png

wkscott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you replace the membrane quarterly as recommended? You mentioned that you bought the probe 12 months ago. Were you OVER the warranty period? Even by a few days?

OP
OP
Jonty

Jonty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you replace the membrane quarterly as recommended? You mentioned that you bought the probe 12 months ago. Were you OVER the warranty period? Even by a few days?

No, the warranty is 90 days, I was @ 350 days of ownership, but they looked at the logs and could see the unit had been bad for over a month. While the rep was dialed into my computer I showed him the receipt on my email. I replaced the membrane every 90 days the service kit was purchased with the probe so I would not have any issues. It costs $70 a year to maintain the probe.

OP
OP
Jonty

Jonty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest I think they sell so few of these units that there are very few people @ Neptune that knows much about them.

OP
OP
Jonty

Jonty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not believe the probe is bad as I have a lot of issues lately with my Neptune Apex classic with several support calls to remedy. One of my "problems" is that I have over 100 outlets and 15 modules attached. It is a big and very costly Apex setup.

2una

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was curious on these till i saw the cost.
Did you learn anything from it while it was running properly?
My "lab grade" salinity probe is also in the same boat after just 1 year

monkiboy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
thanks for sharing. can you explain given what you found in the documentation ("Probes carry a 90-day warranty. If repair or adjustment is necessary and has not been the result of abuse, misuse, or accidental damage, within the 1-year period, please return the product with proof of purchase, and correction of the defect will be made without charge") how "apparently, the policy is not in practice"?

how can you say "neptune support was great" when they didn't support their warranty claims you found documented or support you properly given they are very clear about a correction to the defect being provided since you are within the 1 year term?

on such an expensive tool and clear documentation supporting your cause for a replacement probe, why are you not urging for diligent and proper action from neptune?

what interesting notes can you share about your DO when it was working properly that perhaps some folks not using on may find interesting?

OP
OP
Jonty

Jonty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neptune was quick to setup support calls to review the problem that was great, the policy does not appear in practice because I asked several times on the call if I had any recourse and was told no since it was beyond 90 days. I tried diligent urging and we not given any further options by the rep.
The Do probe provides interesting correlation data between Alk consumption, micro bubble treatment and some other parameters. I might separateerate post some time to highlight.

monkiboy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Neptune was quick to setup support calls to review the problem that was great, the policy does not appear in practice because I asked several times on the call if I had any recourse and was told no since it was beyond 90 days. I tried diligent urging and we not given any further options by the rep.
The Do probe provides interesting correlation data between Alk consumption, micro bubble treatment and some other parameters. I might separateerate post some time to highlight.
yes a separate thread with detail on the benefits or highlights/correlations would be awesome - thanks for the willingness to share!

I think you have the support issue backwards, sir. it is not whether or not you have any other options besides paying for a new probe... Neptune does not have any other options other than to provide you a new probe because it is clearly documented. documentation you had to find and present to them, nonetheless.

neptune can't have something in writing and present it for consumer consumption while not practicing or supporting it regardless of how few are out there.

this is not diligent or proper customer support. you shouldn't have to go out of your way to prove the manner in which a customer should be treated or argue your requested corrective action when it's so clear. pardon the somewhat of a diatribe but folks in the customer support industry who just don't get customer support or take advantage of their customer's is personally revolting to me. i'll stop now and thanks again for your post.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What they all said plus the fact that ur a dedicated apex guy u have what did u say 155 outlets on ur system?? I mean if I was an apex representive why wouldn't u want to make this right GHL is looking better and better

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Probes carry a 90-day warranty. If repair or adjustment is necessary and has not been the result of abuse, misuse, or accidental damage, within the 1-year period, please return the product with proof of purchase, and correction of the defect will be made without charge. "

I would definitely push for this claim to be upheld, but your satisfaction is more important than mine here. :)

Please provide a link to your new thread when you make it. I'd be interested to see your info.

BigKid4788

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had an issue with their product and the person on the phone could t do anything for me. I asked to speak with someone higher. I recorded a call back very quickly and got it resolved. Have you tried that? Not saying that's the answer but it's an avenue to explore

Jongalt26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good for neptune, that is an expensive piece of gear. I'm glad to see they are supporting it and you.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back