Social media going to the sponsors

BrandonS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anybody else noticed the increase in sponsored products in social media? Within the last few months it seems like everyone all of a sudden switched to A mode aquarium, a kessil light, and an eshoppes sump. I guess it shows companies are taking creators seriously, but it worries me. If everyone is using the same stuff that is not cheap people will think that's the only way. Its a trend that worries me. Does it worry anyone else?

Rant: Also a little disappointed inappropriate reefer now has a shiny new already made for him aquarium. Especially after he made a big deal about doing his 150 his way and ignoring advice out of self admitted stubbornness. If your going to make a statement then follow through. I guess the Eco chamber is real and has found the reef hobby social media guys.

Zoajohn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is a trend with most hobbies nowadays. It’s especially noticeable with fishing. Everyone wants to be on a pro staff

hotdrop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Influencers do it for the swag if they aren’t big enough to get paid. Honestly though not sure why people would run Kessil lights unless they got them for free. They are overpriced for what you get and you need a lot of them to get good performance

OP
OP
BrandonS

BrandonS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Influencers do it for the swag if they aren’t big enough to get paid. Honestly though not sure why people would run Kessil lights unless they got them for free. They are overpriced for what you get and you need a lot of them to get good performance

Admittedly I have a kessil over my tank with my t5 hybrid as I got a broken one for free and fixed it. No one every throws out a radion. Lol. Which is exactly what I would prefer. I have a cube so either get one kessil and be under powered unless high in the tank or I need like 4 for good coverage.

I can also say kessil has been looking to sponsor people really hard. Aquarium coop on the freshwater side said they are trying to get him. They are also hitting my work hard but the aquarist don't like they need 4 to cover a 6 foot tank evenly.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BrandonS

BrandonS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All an internet search brings now is someone trying to sell you stuff.
I cant find anything anymore. They are killing the golden goose.
There are still a few good ones out there but in the last few months it feels like everyone is getting gobbled up by one brand or another. Who ever hits the influencer's hard that season.

hotdrop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Admittedly I have a kessil over my tank with my t5 hybrid as I got a broken one for free and fixed it. No one every throws out a radion. Lol. Which is exactly what I would prefer. I have a cube so either get one kessil and be under powered unless high in the tank or I need like 4 for good coverage.
Exactly there is a price where they are a good option but new they run the same as ai lights and lack a controller. Honestly most reefkeepers would be better off starting on T5 or Mh the cost difference is 2-3x

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think social media like fb etc is a plague. I dont know how anyone can watch any of the fish youtubers. Everything is brainwash television. Sell your soul to the highest bidder.

What's scary is the amount of people that are being influenced.

OP
OP
BrandonS

BrandonS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Promise of instant gratification brings easy dollars.
Very true. It's definitely evident with the red Sea stuff. Whole systems ready to go. And the new trend of automated testing and dosing.

Removes the obstacles of learning if you have money I guess. Not good for long term success though IMO. We had a guy at my old LFS who came in with a list and bought all the best stuff. Spent 8 grand. Started chatting with him and it was his first saltwater tank ever. He set up a tank of cichlids two months before and loved it. So he decided to do a full mixed reef. 6 months later he was asking if anyone at the LFS wanted to buy his setup.

OP
OP
BrandonS

BrandonS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think social media like fb etc is a plague. I dont know how anyone can watch any of the fish youtubers. Everything is brainwash television. Sell your soul to the highest bidder.

What's scary is the amount of people that are being influenced.
It is definitely a slippery slope. Great because more people in the hobby. Bad because they don't know as much as they think they do and pay way to much for stuff because they are told too. Which then raises the prices for everyone.

hotdrop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very true. It's definitely evident with the red Sea stuff. Whole systems ready to go. And the new trend of automated testing and dosing.

honestly I think as far as overpriced equipment Red Sea tanks are low on the offender list. Sure you can get a cheaper tank but when you factor in stand and cost of overflow it’s not that bad of a price point. You don’t really want to put a 40g breeder in you living room but a RS170 wouldn’t look too bad.
Also the tank and stand has the biggest impact on appearance of your aquarium so that’s one place I think it good to play a bit extra to get something that looks nice.

flsalty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I watched a Tidal Gardens video he did on using a cheap Amazon T5 fixture and gave it a good review. Someone commented that he should go to one of the lighting companies to get sponsored. He replied that he was in talks with one of them lol.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anybody else noticed the increase in sponsored products in social media? Within the last few months it seems like everyone all of a sudden switched to A mode aquarium, a kessil light, and an eshoppes sump. I guess it shows companies are taking creators seriously, but it worries me. If everyone is using the same stuff that is not cheap people will think that's the only way. Its a trend that worries me. Does it worry anyone else?

Rant: Also a little disappointed inappropriate reefer now has a shiny new already made for him aquarium. Especially after he made a big deal about doing his 150 his way and ignoring advice out of self admitted stubbornness. If your going to make a statement then follow through. I guess the Eco chamber is real and has found the reef hobby social media guys.

There definitely is a lot of sponsorship going on. You just have to hope that people clearly state when they were sent the product, and decide yourself whether their feedback seems reputable.

hotdrop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I watched a Tidal Gardens video he did on using a cheap Amazon T5 fixture and gave it a good review. Someone commented that he should go to one of the lighting companies to get sponsored. He replied that he was in talks with one of them lol.
A cheap T5 fixture works great and can be had for $100 with a 4 light config, you should probably throw it away when the lights die tho because they arent desgined for corrosion or salt spray so its risky to run it for a long time. But you should get a year of 2 and thats plenty of time to figure out what you want long term.

OP
OP
BrandonS

BrandonS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
honestly I think as far as overpriced equipment Red Sea tanks are low on the offender list. Sure you can get a cheaper tank but when you factor in stand and cost of overflow it’s not that bad of a price point. You don’t really want to put a 40g breeder in you living room but a RS170 wouldn’t look too bad.
Also the tank and stand has the biggest impact on appearance of your aquarium so that’s one place I think it good to play a bit extra to get something that looks nice.

Not saying they are the worst offenders, but they did spear head the just pull out a check book and your set mantra that is being pitched these days.

Buy this 800 dollar tester with our 700 dollar doser and your set. Don't want to plumb anything we got you covered. That's all I am saying.

It's not as easy as writing a check but there are plenty of ways to have a living room worthy tank without having to pay a bunch.

Just worried that people will think it's the only way. Like they can't have a reef tank without that 800 dollar light

OP
OP
BrandonS

BrandonS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A cheap T5 fixture works great and can be had for $100 with a 4 light config, you should probably throw it away when the lights die tho because they arent desgined for corrosion or salt spray so its risky to run it for a long time. But you should get a year of 2 and thats plenty of time to figure out what you want long term.

Nothing is designed long term for saltwater. Some just longer than others

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 140 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back