Sock/filter fleece in nano AIO (no mechanical filtration)

j.murphy949

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone!
New to to the community, thank you for having me!

IM 15 Nuvo2 (2 months old )
Aio chambers fillled with algaebarn ceramic cubes and sea lettuce , dragons breath when it becomes available.
Copepods/phyto added
I would like to know opinions on socks/ fleece?
Will they hinder my copepod colony and remove more waste than my copepods? Or am I better off with no filter and let the ecosystem work it’s magic?

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone!
New to to the community, thank you for having me!

IM 15 Nuvo2 (2 months old )
Aio chambers fillled with algaebarn ceramic cubes and sea lettuce , dragons breath when it becomes available.
Copepods/phyto added
I would like to know opinions on socks/ fleece?
Will they hinder my copepod colony and remove more waste than my copepods? Or am I better off with no filter and let the ecosystem work it’s magic?
With such a small tank, it would be unwise to go without a mechanical filter. Even in larger tanks, it is almost always unwise to go without a mechanical filter.

No, it would not harm your pods.

I think the tank comes with filter socks, they are something like this

OP
OP
J

j.murphy949

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With such a small tank, it would be unwise to go without a mechanical filter. Even in larger tanks, it is almost always unwise to go without a mechanical filter.

No, it would not harm your pods.

I think the tank comes with filter socks, they are something like this
Understood, always ran mech. Filtration in my larger tanks. Hearing of a lot of guys running nanos without and having great success with just focusing pods/phyto/macro/PNS. Just worried about pods creating a home in a sock and being dumped every week.

Aaron75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add the pods with flow off to let them establish in the rocks and stuff, and as long as they're fed, they should maintain population in the tank. You'll lose some to filter floss or socks but not enough to wipe out the tank.

OP
OP
J

j.murphy949

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add the pods with flow off to let them establish in the rocks and stuff, and as long as they're fed, they should maintain population in the tank. You'll lose some to filter floss or socks but not enough to wipe out the tank.
Nice! That’s what I did for initial introduction of pods. And they are fed daily with phyto. Do you think the sock loss is minimal in the grand scheme of things?

Aaron75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! That’s what I did for initial introduction of pods. And they are fed daily with phyto. Do you think the sock loss is minimal in the grand scheme of things?
Ya, I think your population will be fine. And on a kind of related note, I use a media caddy and filter floss in my tank. I prefer it much more over the sock.

OP
OP
J

j.murphy949

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya, I think your population will be fine. And on a kind of related note, I use a media caddy and filter floss in my tank. I prefer it much more over the sock.
I ran a caddy in a nano before, trying to go as simple as possible with this one and focus on the biology and the ecosystem. Definitely looking at fleece rollers not a fan of socks.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran a caddy in a nano before, trying to go as simple as possible with this one and focus on the biology and the ecosystem. Definitely looking at fleece rollers not a fan of socks.
I would say to go with filter floss, its cheap and easy for nano tanks.

The losses will be very minor, and shouldn't effect the population too much.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 88 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back