Soda ash along with kalk and ph is still low. Now what?

Gatorpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what we went with.

Upon your suggestion I ordered one last night it came today..
yikes.

B483D574-1F54-4DA4-A30F-E95515CA0E2A.jpeg

Last edited:

Gatorpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another satisfied customer. :p
Now what to do about the CO2, was just reading your build thread.
Our house is a brand new house just built, CB, impact windows tight as a drum….

Not sure I want to drill a hole in the wall to run a line for fresh skimmer air.
Live in Florida and can’t have windows open from March-October

Last edited:

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now what to do about the CO2, was just reading your build thread.
Our house is a brand new house just built, CB, impact windows tight as a drum….

Not sure I want to drill a hole in the wall to run a line for fresh skimmer air.
Live in Florida and can’t have windows open from March-October
I am in Texas very near the gulf, I feel your pain. I have moved from the house in the build thread. That house was built in the 50s. My new apartment is much more modern and what they have done is put outside air intakes on the air handlers (HVAC). That is why (believe it or not) your CO2 is actually pretty low. Mine is very similar I would imagine to yours.

I have looked into this issue because I will be buying a house again at some point, and here is what I think you can do. Get an HVAC person and tell them you want an ERV with a constant pull on your HVAC system. It won't be much work and they shouldn't need to drill new holes. They will most likely splice the ERV into the current outside air pull and run it through all of your current ducting. You will be paying just for them to put it in the right place and the cost of the ERV.

You might even talk to your builder and see if they don't already have options for an upgrade to this. They might have already planned it out.

Anyway. Glad you found the CO2 issue. I hope more people can figure this out because I think indoor CO2 levels are way to high for humans let alone fish, to exist under. :)

Gatorpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in Texas very near the gulf, I feel your pain. I have moved from the house in the build thread. That house was built in the 50s. My new apartment is much more modern and what they have done is put outside air intakes on the air handlers (HVAC). That is why (believe it or not) your CO2 is actually pretty low. Mine is very similar I would imagine to yours.

I have looked into this issue because I will be buying a house again at some point, and here is what I think you can do. Get an HVAC person and tell them you want an ERV with a constant pull on your HVAC system. It won't be much work and they shouldn't need to drill new holes. They will most likely splice the ERV into the current outside air pull and run it through all of your current ducting. You will be paying just for them to put it in the right place and the cost of the ERV.

You might even talk to your builder and see if they don't already have options for an upgrade to this. They might have already planned it out.

Anyway. Glad you found the CO2 issue. I hope more people can figure this out because I think indoor CO2 levels are way to high for humans let alone fish, to exist under. :)
agree on all points
and thanks for the discussion

ceaver

Stability is all!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered the same inkbird meter and my CO2 stays between 600-800 at all times. Do you think this would even really impact my pH much? I do have lower pH than I would prefer, but do you think it's related to CO2 at all with these numbers?
Thanks!

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered the same inkbird meter and my CO2 stays between 600-800 at all times. Do you think this would even really impact my pH much? I do have lower pH than I would prefer, but do you think it's related to CO2 at all with these numbers?
Thanks!
With numbers of 600 to 800 I would say those are in a good range and not affecting your pH assuming you’re measuring those numbers on a normal day of operation And not just after having the windows open. If I have my windows open all day I will measure the same thing but if I close my windows and measure 24 hours later I’ll be up at the 1400s

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!

Tank water in equilibrium with 800 ppm CO2 air will be about 0.3 pH units lower than the same water in equilibrium with 400 ppm CO2 air.

ceaver

Stability is all!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting, thanks for crunching the numbers on that, Randy. 0.3 units is about what I'm short on pH, so I guess CO2 may be the main culprit still...

ceaver

Stability is all!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley
I am currently running kalk in my ATO, which means it's relatively uniform in dosing over 24 hours. I'm thinking of dosing something additional at night to help keep pH up, so which would be the "better" option, between fully saturated kalk or some BRS soda ash mixed to recommended strength?

I've got a little room in terms of alk levels. So for example, if 0.5 dKH were dosed throughout the night, which would give the bigger pH boost between kalk or soda ash? I suspect it's the kalk, but then I have to consider my calcium level also, which is already at its ceiling...

Thank you!!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kalkwasser, or other hydroxide alk additives, such as sodium hydroxide, have twice the pH boost potency per unit of alk added compared to carbonate additives (soda ash).

Be sure you don’t push alk too high.

Gatorpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I disagree. Ph is generally not even needed to test. Calibrate the probe and do an aeration test indoors, if PH doesn’t rise then you know CO2 is too high.

You don’t need an expensive meter to tell you that.
There are tons of great CO2 meters for 40-50 on amazon ebay

Soilworker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone mentioned calibrating your probes but also try using a separate indicator test. My Apex was always reading low, like below 7.8, and after testing with an indicator test it was actually at 8.2.

I'll be re-calibrating my probes but the point is: always run a second non-probe test to confirm what's going on before you make any major changes.

Cjeippert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed this post is in the summer. Every summer my ph pluments around this time as well. In the early morning I open up all my windows, turn on fans, some fans outside blowing in and my high powered kitchen hood I turn on. After co2 in air is back to under 400, i close up windows a few hours later. Airline from outside to skimmer did not work for me. Co2 scrubbers and kalk at night do if implemented properly.

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
k got the same problem. got the airline running outside. not sure what my ph is now. since my ph probe went out. got a new one. i can't calibrate it until i get the new display module I bought. i was just about to calibrate it before first use and the display went out completely.

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Riddle me this: I have an outside airline running to both my Skimmer and air stone (via an air pump) and I still cannot get my PH in the 8s. I am contemplating trying to get my PH by raising my alkalinity..but I have been consistently told that you want alkalinity in the 8's. So what is a girl to do?

(Hopefully this isnt a high jack)

ceaver

Stability is all!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a highjack, I think we're all in similar boats if we're reading this thread :)

I don't run a skimmer so outside airline and CO2 scrubber are out for me (though outside airline seems to be an inconsistent solution). I'm dosing kalk through my ATO and dosing some soda ash at night to help. I was getting better numbers before I went out of town for 3 weeks over the summer (overnight low pH was 8.1), now it's down to 7.8 overnight. Very frustrating. Good luck to us all!

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 58.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back