Soda Ash question

PT610

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Newly cycled 25g tank has PH ~7.5. I intended to mix 2 cups of soda ash with 1 gallon RO/DI. Assuming this is a safe approach, how much can I add to the tank, and over what period should it be applied? I understand that I should not be adding salt to the mixture. Thank you for any advice...

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, welcome to Reef2Reef. Assuming your interest in adding soda ash is because of your pH.....DON'T. Do not chase pH. You are also raising alkalinity which could be more dangerous than a potentially low pH.

So how are you measuring pH?

OP
OP
P

PT610

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, welcome to Reef2Reef. Assuming your interest in adding soda ash is because of your pH.....DON'T. Do not chase pH. You are also raising alkalinity which could be more dangerous than a potentially low pH.

So how are you measuring pH?
Yes, due to low PH. I measured with the API test kit which was about an hour or so ago. Since then, I aimed the return from the pump upward to create bubbles on the surface for exchange. Also added a small powerhead for a bit more flow. (Suggestions per my internet searches.). I welcome any further advice. Thank you...

OP
OP
P

PT610

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, due to low PH. I measured with the API test kit which was about an hour or so ago. Since then, I aimed the return from the pump upward to create bubbles on the surface for exchange. Also added a small powerhead for a bit more flow. (Suggestions per my internet searches.). I welcome any further advice. Thank you...

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

All of the alk supplements, including sodium carbonate/washing soda/soda ash should only be added when you are below your alk target and want to raise alkalinity.

Any pH effect they give (up or down) is a "bonus" and should never be the driving force behind dosing amounts because it can lead to excessive alkalinity.

War flow in the tank may actually lower pH, not raise it. Forget internet searching for topics like that which has far too much misinformation and stick to Reef2Reef for answers to questions related to aquarium chemistry.

There are lots of good ways to deal with pH issues, but the first step would be to measure alkalinity.

Second comment is that pH kits are not the best way to measure pH, and pH is not a priority measurement in most tanks.

This has more:

OP
OP
P

PT610

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the detailed response. I have an ali
All of the alk supplements, including sodium carbonate/washing soda/soda ash should only be added when you are below your alk target and want to raise alkalinity.

Any pH effect they give (up or down) is a "bonus" and should never be the driving force behind dosing amounts because it can lead to excessive alkalinity.

War flow in the tank may actually lower pH, not raise it. Forget internet searching for topics like that which has far too much misinformation and stick to Reef2Reef for answers to questions related to aquarium chemistry.

There are lots of good ways to deal with pH issues, but the first step would be to measure alkalinity.

Second comment is that pH kits are not the best way to measure pH, and pH is not a priority measurement in most tanks.

This has more:

OP
OP
P

PT610

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your detailed and informative response along with the article. I have ordered an alkilinity tester and will measure regularly. (Of note, when I measured the PH the following morning, it had gone up to 7.9). I'll also take your advice as to where to go to seek answers when issues such as this arise. Appreciated...

Back