Sodium Nitrate and Trisodium Phosphate from Loudwolf is this the right stuff?

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They are quite close. A chemistry perfectionist would make a 15% correction (15% less NaNO3 than KNO3), but no one is controlling nitrate to within 15% (if you want to dose 3 ppm per day, and you end up dosing 3.4 ppm per day, does that concern anyone?).
Randy, off the top of your head whats the percent diff between potassium phosphate and trisodium phosphate? Ive found ive needed to increase the amount of trisodium phosphate by a decent amount when making my solution in order to get the results the calculator spit out...

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy, off the top of your head whats the percent diff between potassium phosphate and trisodium phosphate? Ive found ive needed to increase the amount of trisodium phosphate by a decent amount when making my solution in order to get the results the calculator spit out...

Calculations are near useless for phosphate dosing. Just useful to make sure you are right factor of 10 for first doses. Most of what you add may be bound to rock and sand and many folks hit zero for a substantial period before eventually getting detectable values 24 h after dosing.

I wouldn't bother with a calculation adjustment, since it is going to be determined by trial and error after the first dose.

That said, Na3PO4 is 30% more potent than K3PO4. I am not sure if K3PO4 is what the calculator uses, however, as I haven't checked it.

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Calculations are near useless for phosphate dosing. Just useful to make sure you are right factor of 10 for first doses. Most of what you add may be bound to rock and sand and many folks hit zero for a substantial period before eventually getting detectable values 24 h after dosing.

I wouldn't bother with a calculation adjustment, since it is going to be determined by trial and error after the first dose.

That said, Na3PO4 is 30% more potent than K3PO4. I am not sure if K3PO4 is what the calculator uses, however, as I haven't checked it.
Got it, thanks. It did take me quite some time of dosing to get the level up. It was quite annoying for about month of that. Now im dosing every other day and able to keep po4 over 0.05. Seeing some positive results!

Back