sodium nitrate shows up on api nitrate test but not hanna

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the reasoning for sodium nitrate not showing up on the hanna checker? I was dosing sodium nitrate and it was not showing up on my hanna test. But it would show up perfectly on api. So I bought the hanna calibrated bottles. My checker read it just fine. So I did a test last night. I dosed .7 grams of sodium nitrate to 2.5 gallons of new saltwater. 12 hours later I tested with api and hanna. Should read around 38. Hanna read 1.2 and api exactly 40. What on earth is going on? @Randy Holmes-Farley, do you know the chemistry behind this?

PigDaddyF15E

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using Sodium Nitrate. It shows up on my Hanna HR checker.

I used a calculator and a .84 correction factor based on a post. mixing up 1/4 tsp into my 100 gallon was pretty much spot on.

OP
OP
Lionfish hunter

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using Sodium Nitrate. It shows up on my Hanna HR checker.

I used a calculator and a .84 correction factor based on a post. mixing up 1/4 tsp into my 100 gallon was pretty much spot on.
That is strange. Now that you say that, I think it was picking it up in the past. Maybe both my reagents are bad?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the reasoning for sodium nitrate not showing up on the hanna checker? I was dosing sodium nitrate and it was not showing up on my hanna test. But it would show up perfectly on api. So I bought the hanna calibrated bottles. My checker read it just fine. So I did a test last night. I dosed .7 grams of sodium nitrate to 2.5 gallons of new saltwater. 12 hours later I tested with api and hanna. Should read around 38. Hanna read 1.2 and api exactly 40. What on earth is going on? @Randy Holmes-Farley, do you know the chemistry behind this?

Assuming you made the solution correctly, and assuming the device is working to specs and used properly, it would be detected. I'm not sure why it didn't.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose nitrates, both sodium nitrate and potassium nitrate, and my Hanna checker detects them fine.

OP
OP
Lionfish hunter

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is really appalling how often the hanna checker sht the bed. I have 5 checkers and at some point 4 of them have given me horrible readings. Normally bad reagent.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think Hanna checkers are probably higher quality than their reagents...
Saying that, I've only had issues with their liquid Alk reagent. I've never had any trouble with the powder packets going bad. The nitrate checker actually works really well as far as I'm concerned. although bad batches of reagent can happen any time unfortunately. I have always purchased multiple reagents at a time, so if one is bad, I usually have others to check it against.

That reminds me, its time for a couple more bottles of Alk reagent.

OP
OP
Lionfish hunter

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think Hanna checkers are probably higher quality than their reagents...
Saying that, I've only had issues with their liquid Alk reagent. I've never had any trouble with the powder packets going bad. The nitrate checker actually works really well as far as I'm concerned. although bad batches of reagent can happen any time unfortunately. I have always purchased multiple reagents at a time, so if one is bad, I usually have others to check it against.

That reminds me, its time for a couple more bottles of Alk reagent.
My hanna alk checker is the only one that seems to work lol

Saltydog22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There not always accurate

Back