Soft Corals: Yay or Nay? Soft corals don't have to be BLAH!

How do you feel about soft corals?

• Love them

Votes: 674 78.4%
  • Meh...

Votes: 159 18.5%
  • Hate them

Votes: 12 1.4%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 15 1.7%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
For the next three days we are going to talk about corals and suggestions for soft, lps, and sps corals. I love all types of reef tanks. Mixed reefs are my favorite because you get the best of all the corals! But today it's all about the softies!

@razarmi
imageproxy.php.jpg

Softies get a bad rap! Can I get an amen? Often times soft corals are associated with negative connotations but some of the most beautiful reef tanks I have ever seen were soft coral dominated aquariums. Starting with the cons, the usual pros and cons go something like this:

Cons
  • For beginners (noobs)
  • Invasive (take over your tank)
  • Boring colors (not many bright colors)
Pros
  • Less maintenance (less work)
  • Grows and reproduces fast (for fragging)
  • Movement (flows in the water)
  • Cheaper corals

So for today's question of the day do me a solid and answer the following questions.

1. What is your favorite soft coral and why?

2. Do you have any soft coral pros or cons to add to the above list?

@MJC's Soft Coral reef is one of my most favorites! The photo doesn't do it justice! Check out the video below and see if you agree!
20200315_102832-01.jpeg

Reefs and Geeks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other than zoas, I've never had any luck keeping soft corals. They always seemed to shrivel up on me and slowly fade away. I personally find stony coral to be easier because I could never point point what I did wrong with softies. I know I'm not the norm in this though. I also prefer fragging stony coral because it's so easy to cut and glue bone vs soft flesh.

I do have a soft spot (pun intended) for zoas though. Plus they do have some intense colors and patterns. I do like admiring the soft coral tanks at my LFS though. Lots of movement which is a nice change from sticks.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Xenia is one of the prettiest corals, and then there are my favourites the clove polyps ❤️

Xenia is one of the corals that got me into the hobby!

secret_reefer337

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have SPS tank but decided to make a U-turn and did a softy tank. Two of my favorites are Japanese Pink Nepthea and Yellow leather coral. With the leathers, color selections are very few but adding zoas and mushroom you can create your own rainbow.
I think one wrong perception is the price, softies have a high price tag too.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I used to have SPS tank but decided to make a U-turn and did a softy tank. Two of my favorites are Japanese Pink Nepthea and Yellow leather coral. With the leathers, color selections are very few but adding zoas and mushroom you can create your own rainbow.
I think one wrong perception is the price, softies have a high price tag too.

Umm any frags? :p

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super pumped about this post first off...

Currently in my mixed reef (softie dominant) I have a mixture of different sofites, but I am seeking out new and rare forms! This thread sure could help with that... SEEKING A WEEPING WILLOW FRAG!

Question #1: My favorite soft coral is neon green sinularia.. Saw a huge colony of it at an LFS in my younger years (reefbuilder has an epic build video Japanese style build showcases it well)

Question #2:

PROS:
Amazing movement (real ocean vibe), helpful for beginners, easy to frag, grows fast, and able to stay healthy during the tough times!

CONS:
Lacking in color selections (exception being zoas/palys)

Just picked up a gorgeous Tongan Yellow Toadstool from a LFS and very happy with the new softie addition!

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bad iPhone photo but you can see my Japanese neon toadstool. It was the size of a dime 3 years ago and now it’s still only about 4” in size.

8CEFE40E-7758-4A91-AAA2-5506A482151C.jpeg

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I love soft corals! Toadstools are probably my favorite. A con I’d add is size. I only have a 40g tank. Some of those softies will just about fill a 40b.

I have a neon green toadstool about a foot in size. :)

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A huge colony of cabbage coral Sinularia brassica is always impressive. Any and all Sarcophytons. All the different kinds of polyps and the movement they add to a tank is just fascinating. Not really a soft coral but I love a nice Grube's.

Crashnt24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the way xenia looks in a lower flow tank. The way it pulsates is hypnotizing. The con is that it is super invasive. Plus if you're running med- high flow for other corals, it doesn't pulsate.

Another favorite is the green long polyp toadstool. It looks great under any light and flow. The con is that it spreads and grows fast. It can quickly shade your favorite spa. Mine also drops about 4 babies a month, so they are starting to take over my tank, but I sell them so it's a wash there. They also look drab for weeks at a time as they shed their skin and have no polyps extended.

Texas Rick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soft coral? Never had any and don’t plan to. I’ve heard they are invasive. I don’t like a invasive coral. Even though I have seen some really nice looking ones and tempting, I’ve decided not to have any

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 76 38.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 68 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.5%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back