SOFTIES stunt growth of HARDIES!!! Really?

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a large leather, one of my 1st corals. Took him out after noticing a chemical smell above him at feeding time, pumps off.
He was rehomed, no more smell.
That was my smoking gun.

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Toadstools and the like frequently shed a layer of slime which may be problematic, well mine used to get everywhere. Don’t know what compounds these layers include but it’s probably some sort of anti fouling stuff. Doubt if it would be beneficial to stonies.
So how much of the layers of slime is algae? Algae after all is the reason this shedding process takes place.

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t recall seeing any algae, just a sheet of semi transparent mucus.
I believe that waste, debris and algae are the elements that cause the shedding. This happens once or so a month. No polyp extension until that cleansing process is complete. Granted, one might need a microscope to see evidence of plant life. :)

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe that waste, debris and algae are the elements that cause the shedding. This happens once or so a month. No polyp extension until that cleansing process is complete. Granted, one might need a microscope to see evidence of plant life. :)
Pathogens eat coral mucus voraciously it seems. Doesn’t sound like a good idea to let it touch corals that haven’t slimed up excessively;

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of reefers run carbon ; I believe this will mitigate most if not all potential issues. The bigger issue is the nutrient load that each prefer. Once the system is stable and balanced it can work fine.

Danroo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read this morning on R2R that “soft corals can stunt the growth of sps corals! What? I’ve been looking through posts this evening for that comment with no success. I wanted to contact the writer and get more info. Throughout today I’ve been chewing on the idea that soft coral toxins can stunt or slow down sps growth. Thought I’d sit down and see if I could find where I had read it. I have a beautiful and rather large Tyree Green Toadstool Leather in my tank. It’s completely separate from any other corals, sps lps or other softies. I’d really like to know the details of that discovery. I believe the post was written as a response to someones post. First time I’ve heard the word “stunt” re: sps coral growth. Appreciate your feedback.
Corals fighting with each other is common, softies probably see sps corals as competition due to them requiring more flow and light. With carbon it’s easier to remove all those toxins and have a successful mixed reef. Plus I have yet to see a sps dominated tank without any zoas.

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read this morning on R2R that “soft corals can stunt the growth of sps corals! What? I’ve been looking through posts this evening for that comment with no success. I wanted to contact the writer and get more info. Throughout today I’ve been chewing on the idea that soft coral toxins can stunt or slow down sps growth. Thought I’d sit down and see if I could find where I had read it. I have a beautiful and rather large Tyree Green Toadstool Leather in my tank. It’s completely separate from any other corals, sps lps or other softies. I’d really like to know the details of that discovery. I believe the post was written as a response to someones post. First time I’ve heard the word “stunt” re: sps coral growth. Appreciate your feedback.
I have the same leather. It’s massive. No growth issues on any of my sps or euphylia in my tank. I wouldn’t worry about it.

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same leather. It’s massive. No growth issues on any of my sps or euphylia in my tank. I wouldn’t worry about it.
Thanks, It’s hard for me to believe that an isolated softie would emit toxins if not agitated. I too don’t think that’s what “mixed reefers” are experiencing.

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, It’s hard for me to believe that an isolated softie would emit toxins if not agitated. I too don’t think that’s what “mixed reefers” are experiencing.
From what I’ve heard it’s really the devils hand leathers that’s do this (not sure I don’t have one). But you can always run carbon if you’re afraid. But everyone I talk to locally with a mixed reef never had any issues with this

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I’ve heard it’s really the devils hand leathers that’s do this (not sure I don’t have one). But you can always run carbon if you’re afraid. But everyone I talk to locally with a mixed reef never had any issues with this
Right! And I had a Devis’s Hand a few years back and there seemed to be issues. I’ve definitely made some adjustments. Also I’m a ChemiPure fan and change it out every couple of months like clockwork.

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 340 gallon mixed reef with a massive toadstool. It's easily 15" inches if not more in diameter. I have an LPS favite or something like that growing underneath the part of the toadstool. It's heads all look fine and neither the toadstool or the LPS coral mind. On the other hand I have GSP on a rock with some Orange Super man kryptonite SPS and a Stylphora. The GSP has all but destroyed the Orange Kryptonite SPS coral. I did not think that possible. I had fragged the SPS coral and moved it when I saw the battle going the wrong direction. It's doing great in it's new spot, but GSP absolutely has destructive powers. But I guess that's a bad example since it's an LPS I believe...

Back to the toadstool. I have the toadstool about 3-4 Inches downstream from my 10" stunner chalice. Neither the stunner chalice nor the toadstool are affected by each other. I've seen the stunner chalice completely obliterate montipora. But, it's sweepers don't affect the toadstool at all.

I have multiple acropora, and harder to grow LPS and SPS all growing successfully in my mixed reef with softies. I do not run carbon at all. I also have gone 3 months now no water changes on my 4 year old tank. If there's toxins there's no way for them to get filtered out. I do have an algae turf scrubber and skimmer and vodka dose. But, that's all.

Big Smelly fish

If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sure it's better to be without competitors. Remember everything competes for space on the reef. Stingers, toxins, whatever.

Mike C's softy tank was plumbed into his SPS tank. He did run carbon. Still if he can have that many leathers and SPS sharing the same water... it can't be THAT bad. In fact it was theorized that his softy tank was actually a big scrubber/refugium, cleaning the water for his SPS.

Beautiful tanks, I also like to soft coral tank much more and I'm a Stoney coral guy.

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm. I'm dubious about just how much it affects SPS's. Perhaps some, some of the time. My green finger leather does not seem to affect my Pocillopora.
20211013_110501.jpg

Brian_68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me I had lots of soft corals including a large 12" wide toadstool in a 125 tank. I could never keep acros until I removed about 90% of the softies. For me it was clear proof and it did not help with daily water changes or carbon prior either. Now I have to remove acros when they get too large or reach the surface. My softies will never return to that tank. My guess is it depends on the type of soft corals as well and all do not have the same effect.

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me I had lots of soft corals including a large 12" wide toadstool in a 125 tank. I could never keep acros until I removed about 90% of the softies. For me it was clear proof and it did not help with daily water changes or carbon prior either. Now I have to remove acros when they get too large or reach the surface. My softies will never return to that tank. My guess is it depends on the type of soft corals as well and all do not have the same effect.
Exactly my story Brian! And I’ll tell you, it was great turning that page. Congrats on your success.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 33.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 24.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 20 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back