SOFTIES stunt growth of HARDIES!!! Really?

fachatga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an interesting conversation. Just to add to the anecdotal evidence I’ve got a mixed reef 32 gallon with a number of Acro frags doing very well. And a foot long nepthea which was one of my first corals. The 2 acros nearest are by far the slowest growers. I do run carbon but figure there’s a chance it’s the leather that is the reason for it. Can’t be sure but it might be. The leather is by itself. It can come close to touching my frogspawn sometimes. But those 2 don’t seem to bother each other.

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. I did occasionally before I did AWC with my Neptune. Now, auto water changes are at just under 2 gal/day.
I keep a mixed reef. Half serious, but aren't we being a little SPS snobbish? why doesn't anybody ask if SPS are harmful in proximity to softies? Honestly, the challenge is the SPS, but viewer
s of my tank are wowed by the size and swaying of the soft corals. They think the SPS are decorations, lol. So, no concern for leathers etc.?
Good point! I do think it’s human nature to be snobbish re: things that each of us attract to or like as individuals. And we’re willing to accept the title as pathetic as that sounds.
962C4167-282C-4A3D-B780-ABA0EF811D6A.jpeg

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an interesting conversation. Just to add to the anecdotal evidence I’ve got a mixed reef 32 gallon with a number of Acro frags doing very well. And a foot long nepthea which was one of my first corals. The 2 acros nearest are by far the slowest growers. I do run carbon but figure there’s a chance it’s the leather that is the reason for it. Can’t be sure but it might be. The leather is by itself. It can come close to touching my frogspawn sometimes. But those 2 don’t seem to bother each other.
Having an established tank is a wonderful thing. Starting out in this hobby or being a short time into it can be troubling and discouraging with its many challenges. But then to begin purchasing lps, sps and softies not really knowing the effects of these unseen weapons of war as you blindly pay for them and smile all the way home. Like bringing a scorpion home as the family pet. Thx for your post.

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. I did occasionally before I did AWC with my Neptune. Now, auto water changes are at just under 2 gal/day.
AWC aren’t to be underestimated!!! Here in the Phoenix area, I have on occasion visited Spectrapure, makers of the rodi units. They have a SW tank in their front office. It’s hooked up to this massive, never stopping WC system. The corals are like nothing you’ve ever seen! Organ pipe corals and others with just unreal growth.

Brian_68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was that the only change? were they moved to a completely isolated tank?
Yes, I moved the soft corals to their own 40 gal breeder tank. Automatic water changes continued. It was night and day, the frags did not die when added and started to grow then took off. Lighting was the same before and after as well. I think it may depend on types of soft coral and concentration. I do not think everyone will have the same experience, hence no consensus. I had the large toadstool, lots of finger leathers reproducing and tons on nepthea.

Octane13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I moved the soft corals to their own 40 gal breeder tank. Automatic water changes continued. It was night and day, the frags did not die when added and started to grow then took off. Lighting was the same before and after as well. I think it may depend on types of soft coral and concentration. I do not think everyone will have the same experience, hence no consensus. I had the large toadstool, lots of finger leathers reproducing and tons on nepthea.
Almost warrants moving all my leathers to my other tank just to see ( I have 3 10+" toadstools and some nepthea and devils hand etc). I will have sps grow like weeds for months then just check out with no apparent changes to any parameter or fish behavior. Usually digi's or caps are affected first. this latest time it spread to all my digi's even my frags. only lost one acro. Others have been mostly unfected except loss of PE or stunted growth for a while.

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost warrants moving all my leathers to my other tank just to see ( I have 3 10+" toadstools and some nepthea and devils hand etc). I will have sps grow like weeds for months then just check out with no apparent changes to any parameter or fish behavior. Usually digi's or caps are affected first. this latest time it spread to all my digi's even my frags. only lost one acro. Others have been mostly unfected except loss of PE or stunted growth for a while.
There’s a sort of crazy dynamic that exists in the hobby. We in the reefing community have a very accepted term it’s call “mixed Reef” When I hear it, it’s positive not negative. It tells me that a hobbyist that has a “mixed reef” is a seasoned professional. It tells me that marine animals can and do get along just fine. It doesn’t tell me of the dangers. The lfs don’t warn me about the impending conflict. They want the sale. The leaders of the reefing community are just as oblivious to the specifics as we are. “Mixed Reef” continues to be …okay.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 105 57.7%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 54 29.7%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 65 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 31 17.0%
  • Other

Votes: 54 29.7%
Back