Software to help design rock scapes?

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anyone use software of any type to design your rock scape? Getting ready in a week or 2 to order my rock (as soon as I decide on tank and order it lols')

I'd like to get some idea before with shape and flow but am not good drawing or painting lol's

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not aware of any software specificly for aquascaping. Maybe using landscaping software and using only rocks? Pesoanlly I just use the rule of thirds from photoghraphy. Keep in mind you will have coral growth which will change it over time that needs to be taken into consideration.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not aware of any software specificly for aquascaping. Maybe using landscaping software and using only rocks? Pesoanlly I just use the rule of thirds from photoghraphy. Keep in mind you will have coral growth which will change it over time that needs to be taken into consideration.
Yep. I sort of know what look I want to go with this time.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Play Dough?

It's soft
iu

Lemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Lemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you need custom software for this.
like I said 3d modeling software could work. blender is free and if you wanted to you could also setup something to simulate physics in unity or unreal(I only know of these btw they are game engines)

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anyone use software of any type to design your rock scape? Getting ready in a week or 2 to order my rock (as soon as I decide on tank and order it lols')

I'd like to get some idea before with shape and flow but am not good drawing or painting lol's
before you buy the rock, take a look at my build thread.
with the stuff I used, if you can envision it, you can make it.

LegendaryCG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sure any 3D design tool could work… but that said there’s something about seeing what your rocks look like as to what your going to end up with. Yes you can absolutely smash them and glue them to some special shape but most people don’t invest that kinda time or effort.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sure any 3D design tool could work… but that said there’s something about seeing what your rocks look like as to what your going to end up with. Yes you can absolutely smash them and glue them to some special shape but most people don’t invest that kinda time or effort.
I thought I was going to do that, but it felt wrong for my rock, so I just created my pieces. Happy with it

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends so much on the shape of the rocks after you break them apart that it's not worth the time to model it out. A lot of the creativity happens in real time.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends so much on the shape of the rocks after you break them apart that it's not worth the time to model it out. A lot of the creativity happens in real time.
agree. I had in my mind the look I wanted but with my rock, it was not feasible. Marco yes. Not caribsea or Real Reef

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think even if there was a software, unless you had a machine that could cut the rock into exact pieces needed to build that scape, you'd have a hard time duplicating it.

I'd say just grab 5-10 pieces of paper, and start sketching.

Look at 5-10 different style of scapes, you have NSA scapes, Island Scapes, Floating scapes all kinds. And then chose some you'd like to see.

Draw up a few different ideas of each type of scape, and narrow in.

That's now I've been happiest with my scapes.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great!

totally unique as well haven't seen a scape like that.
my son in law used Real Reef and the Real Reef branch and his is awesome. I got 55 lbs of the Real Reef rock and used like 1 small piece. I ended up liking the caribsea more. I hope it is enough rock for a 240g. I'll put some of my current rock in the sump and I have some corals on rocks that will go here, in place of the rocks in the back.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 94 87.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back