Solar energy just for your reef tank: Have you thought about it?

Would you use solar energy for your tank if it were feasible?

• Yes

Votes: 470 92.0%
  • No

Votes: 41 8.0%

• Total voters
U

User1

View Badges
I worked for a company that was doing something similar with water flow during the early-stages. Turns out that determining one device from another is quite difficult. Even with complex algorithms in place, we had to manually train the device on almost every specific use case. Every faucet nozzle we tested resulted in a statistically significant different flow. Even changing the pipe layout (as we all here know from our return line plumbing) resulted in readings that were different enough to require recalibration. What we ended up working on were algorithms that could create algorithms. Very complex stuff that seemed to involve more chaos theory than normal logic... In the end, the device was the easy part - the software the hard part. Rather like how speech recognition had to grow and develop, water (and I'm sure electricity) also "speaks" it's own language. And with each device having it's own dialect, creating a Babelfish becomes a rather difficult chore...
I've been thinking about the Sense myself. But I'm not sure how long it will be before they have enough identified data patterns to make it anything more than a gross relative meter. And since the Powerwall provides that functionality already, I don't figure I'll need one.

I think you are right. I've owned it for a couple years now - an early adopter I guess. I was looking at it from the big data analytics side and what the possibilities could be. Not sure why - I don't work for them. I think it is the whole data is beautiful thing going through my mind. I think I paid maybe 250 - 300 dollars but like I said it was more to see what my solar unit was doing than anything else.

We are not a net positive yet on our solar production. The builder at the time only offered two options and probably had a lot to do with city regulations of Rancho Cordova. Not sure but in any case I am always looking for higher production panels in case there is an option to upgrade. My goal would be to get net positive and then look at the powerwall like you have.

Did you get the free upgrades from the original release?

DLHDesign

Ex-Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you get the free upgrades from the original release?
They had to replace the "v1" unit with a "v1.1" unit at one point (no charge to me, of course). Is that the "free upgrade" you mean? Other than that, I've been fighting PG&E to get my $5k+ rebate since they installed it in the old house (two years ago?). Never came through, and then when I moved, they claimed that they couldn't give it to me any more because there was a new owner (never mind that I moved the battery, PG&E?!?). I stopped bothering at that point, though I think Tesla is still working with them trying to get it for me...
I was the first A/C non-employee install, so they didn't really have a lot of process set up yet. During the install, I had VP's and managers stopping by to "see how it was going". It was quite the party...

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have any of you considered going solar for just your reef tank? Is this something that is even feasible? I must admit I have zero knowledge about this topic so educate me!

Also how much energy is your tank consuming monthly?

grape-solar-off-grid-solar-systems-gs-200-kit-64_1000.jpg
Many times for my "Backwoods Lab" only thing holding me back is heaters, I plan to have all devices dc voltage, bypass converter, for cooling structure will be using dc window a/c units like on boats. By going direct dc less solar panels needed.

And I forgot I will need to set up a battery system to cover the gloomy and dark days when the sun's not out.

Last edited:
U

User1

View Badges
They had to replace the "v1" unit with a "v1.1" unit at one point (no charge to me, of course). Is that the "free upgrade" you mean? Other than that, I've been fighting PG&E to get my $5k+ rebate since they installed it in the old house (two years ago?). Never came through, and then when I moved, they claimed that they couldn't give it to me any more because there was a new owner (never mind that I moved the battery, PG&E?!?). I stopped bothering at that point, though I think Tesla is still working with them trying to get it for me...
I was the first A/C non-employee install, so they didn't really have a lot of process set up yet. During the install, I had VP's and managers stopping by to "see how it was going". It was quite the party...

Bummer on the rebate. With PG&E's current situation I am thinking it is a lost cause. Such a corrupt and brazen company. Not even trying to hide how they are looking to pass on the fire settlements to the customers. And we have no other choice for other providers in most if not all developments.

Yes, that is what I was talking about with the v1.1.

Nathan Milender

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have solar on my house. In general I think it would be a mistake. Solar production is overstated. My system performs about 40% of what it was advertised to do and I have been listening to constant excuses for the past 5 years. Also, solar is inconsistent. Batteries can make up the difference, but if they fail your system dies unless you have another system. If you think it would be interesting to play with go ahead, but do not count on it for anything you need to keep alive.

Jet915

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got solar about 4 years ago before I had a reef tank. I calculated it would take about 10 years to pay for itself. I think its a good investment as long as you pay for it outright which I know is hard for some. Leasing it on the other hand is a bad idea imo...

Ted_C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Solar - works. However, the panels we consumers use are not really low earth orbit / space station equivalent yet. So that sort of puts a damper on the overall generation and return on investment. As noted above the rebates are what helps the home owners (aka local, state, or federal tax credit). Small panel for the tank isn't something I would even remotely consider - the return isn't there.

However, panels on the roof are somewhat there and depending on your daily solar generating window then it may work out ok. I'm in California and when we downsized our home about four years ago the builder got an amazing deal on solar for his development. That along with federal tax credit our return on investment was about 5 years to break even. We are seeing the benefit now of course but looking at what I paid upfront and monthly math put us at around 5 years.

In any case solar panels need to be better before production is really self sustaining for home users. Depending on who you use we are talking a range of 14 to 23%. Do some math and you can see the disparity in the power generation of panels. Buyer beware at the end of the day. Once the panels get higher efficiency and product more - say 40 - 50% then we are talking. Sadly those panels are not here today and the ones that are in the 20% range are more expensive...

We need more RnD time to lower the costs with a bit of regulation change to make that happen. Getting there but my guess is another 5 years. Then the battery store similar to what Tesla produced (one that actually works) along with high production solar panels then we will have a green home.
I came here to say this. Also - the panel lifetime for optimal power generation only lasts 10-15 years. That's too short term for such a large investment.

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank runs me $28.50 a month - per Apex. Everything i use is plugged into the apex so this is an accurate reading. Going solar for this amount is not worth it for me. IMHO solar panels destroy the look of a house. If Tesla can perfect their solar shingles that would be something to look into.

basement reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An efficient solar system for an aquarium is probably not going to look like the traditional solar system for a residential house, though certain components will most likely be used.

You could use solar light tubes like C-reefer mentioned. Add a blue filter to reduce PAR and simulate depth. Augment with LED when necessary.

I'm thinking some kind of insulated sump that has say 6-10 times the volume of the display tank. This would be more or less a semi-independent system, water could be circulated from the cistern as needed to minimize heat loss from the display throughout the night. Partial mixing of the two tanks during the day should stabilize the parameters between the two systems.

In keeping with direct coupling for efficiency, a small windmill can be connected to a wave maker system via a flexible cable, similar to that of a weed wacker drive.

That in theory covers light heat and motion, non of which would require a solar panel if sized large enough. Solar panels would of course make it easier to overcome some practical shortcomings, or even just for backup.

One of those evacuated tubes makes about 60 watts on a good day, maybe cut that in half and use that as the reliable heater size. A bank of 10 would be the equivalent of a 300-600 watt heater warming the storage tank throughout the day. The nice thing is an aquarium doesn't have to be has hot as tap water, just 5 degrees Celsius above ambient.

The challenge at my latitude is heat, relatively speaking. This is why I think you need a big passive solar collection and storage system. An aquarium in a warm environment on the other hand can use the ballast tank for cooling instead of heat. The ballast tank can be cooled at night time with radiators.

If you try to do any of this with batteries, you will of course suffer the inefficiencies that go along with it. That being said if a solar panel system was big enough and didn't cost anything, then efficiency of system is almost a moot point. Reality is much different for most of us which is why I encourage the more direct approach wherever possible/practical.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Solar is not practical for me - too many trees. I’d use it if it were. Though a bit different than the intention of this thread, I have been thinking about using solar tubes to help light my tank. I may live too far north for that to be practical, will see.

U

User1

View Badges
Also forgot to mention. Those of you living in the sunny states, good weather, etc keep a tank outside. Search on @o2manyfish and see his magical tank that he keeps outside in the Southern sunny state of California. Pretty neat. I am up North so really can't do that but I've considered tossing one into a greenhouse. Might be cool.

Also the solar tube lighting has been done a few times. I have seen a couple of those tanks and they are interesting.

Punchanello

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking in to this right now. I just don't think I can justify the amount of energy my tank consumes while most of my energy still comes from burning fossil fuels. I might feel differently if I was burning energy on life-saving medical equipment but I'm not and this is still just a hobby.

In the past few weeks we've had dust storms, unseasonal cold snaps, half of Tasmania on fire, devastating flooding in the north, rolling mass fish die offs in the country's biggest water catchments and the hottest day and month in recorded history and the wettest summer I can remember in my home town. It's just not reasonable anymore from a reliability or environmental perspective to rely completely on mass energy production with fossil fuels still in the mix.

We get 250 days of sunshine a year so it makes sense.

My electricity bill is not unsubstantial either so there's that also ;)

Last edited:

KenO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is in the front of my house... which gets sun all day long.. but thanks to an association we cant install solar panels..

I want to move so bad.. never again with assocoations... i love how they csn tell you what to do with a house you own and pay bills on..
Not sure what state you live in, I’m in AZ. The solar company that installed my panels told me that an HOA can not stop you from installing solar panels, regardless of what they put in the HOA documents.

PerplexyHexy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new reef room is costing me north of $1000 a year and thats not including lighting and also my reefer xl425... im figuring everything is costing close to $1200-$1500 a year with absolutely everything running 24-7... we just got solar installed and Im awaiting to see the new results... 25 total panels... $600 electricity bills are a big bummer... with all 3 tanks total water volume is pushing 450 gallons... with alot of gadgets running including a 9 pint dehumidifier... hopefully it makes my hobby a bit more affordable... lol!!!

6bbdfd52baeb50b084aec79fc87fdc16.jpg

e101e324d173e1991017386eb8f0f275.jpg

KenO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 12.88Kw system on my roof. Now I do live in AZ, so lots of sun. During the winter months on the shortest days with it being sunny I can generate 55Kwh of power. Today for example I am already back to 70Kwh. During the summer I can generate 95Kwh per day. I do have a big house and on a typical sunny summer day my house consumes 115Kwh of power. For me it was worth it. We are on a yearly net metering program. So any excess power goes back to the grid. It’s like having a bank account. So any excess is mine to use at any point during the year. So that 10Kwh deficit I have on a summer day was stored up in the prior months. If I just look at my electric bill minus any fees, I’ve had months were my actual electric cost was $5. Winter months are more expensive vs summer. With the yearly net metering the power company settles up with me at the end of the year, so that “electric bank account” is at zero on January 1st. I currently have over 600 gallons of water in multiple tanks with multiple heaters, lights, etc. Once the battery technology is really where it needs to be, I’m going to get them installed.

KenO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
04AEEE11-6130-458E-932D-0ECC4576CF74.png
Oh and I have 90 panels on my roof. All that black you see on the roof is panels.

Peter Clark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've long been tempted to add solar to my house, but the best part of the roof is the part facing the street (thus ugly) and right under a tree. So my house isn't ideal for it. LUCKILY there is a push in the area for a "community solar" project. Apparently these are popping up all over the country. The idea is they put panels somewhere not on your property (in this case on some land already owned by the power company) and you sign up for whatever amount of power from it you want. You pay a subscription for the power, but at a rate lower than regular electricity and the rate is frozen for a long time. It is then delivered over normal power lines and you get a credit on your power bill for the solar you have. So it ultimately is similar to the lease method of solar, but it is not on your own property. I don't know what happens if you move, like if you can get out of the subscription or not. There is green fair of sorts next month where this project will have a booth with experts to answer questions so I plan to go and get more details. Very tempting to sign up. Go solar and save money at the same time with no change in how my house looks. Win win win.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back