Sold a tank, 2 weeks later the individual says it's leaking. Need advice.

Meldrath

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank was water tested and filled for 3 days before it was sold with no issues. Water was filled up to the drain line and left there. Buyer inspected the tank and was given screen shots of it filling up, and it was filled when they came to pick up the tank.

For reference this was an Elos 120xl that was ~3 years old. Tank had been dry for about 1.5 years and I applied silicone grease to the seams after it was dried. No issues ever happened with this tank prior to sale.

How would you want this handled if it was you? How would you handle this if you were the seller. I'm conflicted because I know I sold the tank in good working order, and I don't have any control over what happened after it left my house.

Reef man 89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would want to see it leaking myself in person. Would be hard knowing that it was full of water for 3 days before being sold and was water tight. I would say your on your own. Now if you did not fill it for three days prior to them buying it then I would consider some thing.

Sidvicious

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s a multitude of different reasons as to why it sprung a leak. If it was in good working order when it left you, the buyer takes full responsibility thereafter. Sucks for the buyer but as the saying goes stuff happens.

Last edited by a moderator:

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tough situation but its no longer your problem. If you didnt test it I would feel bad but your conscience is clean :)

EDIT: Didnt see you mention 2 WEEKS! I wouldnt worry about that at all, they could have dropped it for all you know.

Reefin Ryan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You dont know if they were rough with it in transportation or setup. You also don't know if they put it on a stand that was way out of level or one that didn't properly support it in general. It wasn't like the first day they set it up it started leaking.. they waited two weeks and then came to you. I would would appologize but inform them the sale is final. General wisdom is to reseal a used aquarium anyways so you could always refer them to a video on how to do so. It's not like they have a non fixable situation here and are just out all the money

secret_reefer337

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a seller, it is beyond your scope. It is water tested and buyer saw it in person. It left your premise in a “good condition”.
As a buyer, I will be a bit angry BUT it is a gamble I did take buying a pre owned tank. There is no warranty that the seal will be as strong as a brand new. Also, I saw it filled with water and agreed to buy it, so it’s all in me.
As they have said, there are many variables why the tank leaked. Buying second hand/pre owned things always have a big risk. Now it is up to you to decide what action to be taken.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
M

Meldrath

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tough situation but its no longer your problem. If you didnt test it I would feel bad but your conscience is clean :)

EDIT: Didnt see you mention 2 WEEKS! I wouldnt worry about that at all, they could have dropped it for all you know.

There’s a multitude of different reasons as to why it sprung a leak. If it was in good working order when it left you, the buyer takes full responsibility thereafter. Sucks for the buyer but as the saying goes stuff happens.

at this point it isn't your problem, however if you want to, ask them for a video of it leaking just to be sure.

Thank you all for the advice. I've reached out to the buyer and empathized with their situation and asked for a video of the leak. They got a great deal on a packaged deal with everything, but they had just gone through a tank leak before this so I'm cautiously guarded. I just hate how this feels. :/

OP
OP
M

Meldrath

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's nice that you are reaching out. Nice to see a seller that cares.

I try to stand behind anything I sell. I am upfront and honest about the condition of items I sell and their history. I do not lie or exaggerate to make a sale as I want people to trust me for any future sales whether it be live or dry.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with that fact you have no responsibility...even if buyer didn't see it filled with water, which he did. But if you trust that he didn't do anything wrong and was careful and video proof that it is leaking. They you have options: you may offer to pay half the repair (get a written quote first) or for all the materials if he's DIY. You could refund a portion of the money. You could also say, sorry but there's too many things out of my control that could've caused that seal to bust and be perfectly in the right.

Not saying to do anything of these things...but I remember when I sold a car to someone who really needed transportation and the dang thing had a head gasket go out the next week. I paid half just because it seemed the right thing to do. Plus I know she didn't abuse the car. If it'd had been a teenager - sorry all sales are final!

Judgement call...nice you're concerned with doing the right thing.

SeaJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude, if you want a guarantee, buy it from the manufacturer. If you filled it, videoed it and showed it to them full, you went above and beyond in my opinion.

If I sold you my car and you came back 3 days later and told me something was wrong with it, I'd tell you to kick rocks. That's exactly what I'd tell the guy that bought your tank. If you didn't deceive him, then there's nothing to be "made right".

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back