Sold a tank, 2 weeks later the individual says it's leaking. Need advice.

scottedontknow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for the advice. I've reached out to the buyer and empathized with their situation and asked for a video of the leak. They got a great deal on a packaged deal with everything, but they had just gone through a tank leak before this so I'm cautiously guarded. I just hate how this feels. :/
Not your problem lol. I bought a tank that had "no leaks" turns out when i test filled it.... it had a leak haha. i ripped the tank apart and resealed it. good as new now! its pre owned and there is NO way to give someone a time table of WHEN it will leak, could be a year could be tomorrow. you did your part, sucks but its the buyers issus now.

scottedontknow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The seals weren't resealed, the seals were coated with silicon grease to keep them from drying out. Sorry if that wasn't clear. But to the rest of your post I have offered to pitch in if they would like to reseal the aquarium as a good will gesture.
Bad move lol. have you looked into the cost of a tank reseal that isnt a Diy? its usually as much or close to the cost a brand new tank as the ENTIRE tank needs to be taken apart, all old silicon removed, all edges sanded and then polished, THEN have to put it all back together again thus making a new tank lol. it a crap load of labor evenmore so if its a large tank.

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think maybe You ruined the tank with putting silicon grease on the seals.
Silicon grease has no similarity to the silicon we use to glue our tanks.
Silicon grease is extremly surface bonding so it maybe can creep in between the silicon seals and the glass.
I dont know any way to remove the last silicon grease so it will be possible to glue the panes together again.
Maybe there is some silicon grease remover on the market but I havent seen one.
I don't know about this but I'd love if you could post some links showing this. I am always down to learn new stuff!

I did a quick google search and it seems the stuff is used widely on aquatic devices as well as oil drilling devices and seems to do the opposite of what you're implying.

I understand it is hard to remove and cant be painted after applied but to seep under a seal when it is made to protect the seal and in much larger applications than a fish tank I find it hard to believe this was the culprit. If this were the case no large company would trust the stuff on any of their products.

Once again I could be completely confused so please un confuse me

scottedontknow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know about this but I'd love if you could post some links showing this. I am always down to learn new stuff!

I did a quick google search and it seems the stuff is used widely on aquatic devices as well as oil drilling devices and seems to do the opposite of what you're implying.

I understand it is hard to remove and cant be painted after applied but to seep under a seal when it is made to protect the seal and in much larger applications than a fish tank I find it hard to believe this was the culprit. If this were the case no large company would trust the stuff on any of their products.

Once again I could be completely confused so please un confuse me
+1 id love to see published documentation on this.

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean, it sucks for him but you did everything on your part. You tested it, sent him pictures of it working. Unfortunately that is one of the risks of buying used. Whether its a car, or a fish tank.

Sidvicious

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Silicon grease is extremly surface bonding so it maybe can creep in between the silicon seals and the glass.
I dont know any way to remove the last silicon grease so it will be possible to glue the panes together again.
Fake news here. Grease had nothing to do with compromising the tank. I’m an engineer and I’d love for you to prove your “theory” as I’ll graciously bow out if you do and offer an apology.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a leaking tank for free many years ago in college. It had a rim and was leaking from the bottom. I removed all the silicone inside and cleaned it well with vinegar then added new silicone. Since the bottom was leaking and would be under the sand anyways, I put a very large ugly bead across the bottom for more contact with the glass. It never leaked again.

I totally get that is not how a tank should be repaired but in college with no funds, a person doesn't always care.

I wouldn't be surprised if less than ethical people repaired tanks this way and sold them.

Mhart032

Stick Head
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Tech grade 99% isopropyl alcohol

OP
OP
M

Meldrath

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fake news here. Grease had nothing to do with compromising the tank. I’m an engineer and I’d love for you to prove your “theory” as I’ll graciously bow out if you do and offer an apology.

This is what I had understood as well. Plus it's used on rubber gaskets in our aquariums like on ball valves and bulkheads to some degree.

"Silicone grease is commonly used for lubricating and preserving rubber parts, such as O-rings. Additionally, silicone grease does not swell or soften the rubber, which can be a problem with hydrocarbon-based greases. It functions well as a corrosion inhibitor and lubricant for purposes that require a thicker lubricant. "

"Technically, silicone could be considered part of the rubber family. But, if you define plastics widely, as we do, silicone is something of a hybrid between a synthetic rubber and a synthetic plastic polymer. Silicone can be used to make malleable rubber-like items, hard resins, and spreadable fluids."

Joseph Disalvo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This just may be my raging Italian mentality but if you sold it in good faith the buyer saw the tank filled at arrival no leaks? Then bam not my tank not my problem have a nice day. ‍♂️

Sidvicious

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I had understood as well. Plus it's used on rubber gaskets in our aquariums like on ball valves and bulkheads to some degree.

"Silicone grease is commonly used for lubricating and preserving rubber parts, such as O-rings. Additionally, silicone grease does not swell or soften the rubber, which can be a problem with hydrocarbon-based greases. It functions well as a corrosion inhibitor and lubricant for purposes that require a thicker lubricant. "

"Technically, silicone could be considered part of the rubber family. But, if you define plastics widely, as we do, silicone is something of a hybrid between a synthetic rubber and a synthetic plastic polymer. Silicone can be used to make malleable rubber-like items, hard resins, and spreadable fluids."
The way you were ganged up on by his or her “friends” chiming in says it all. I wouldn’t be surprised if this was another one of them trying to stir the pot up a bit but that’s an assumption and I try to steer clear of them.

OP
OP
M

Meldrath

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The way you were ganged up on by his or her “friends” chiming in says it all. I wouldn’t be surprised if this was another one of them trying to stir the pot up a bit but that’s an assumption and I try to steer clear of them.

I don't think that was the case at all, but I do worry about bad blood in the community. It's relatively small here compared to where I originally started reefing (Dallas).

I understand their point of view and respect it. We all have differing opinions on how to handle situations. I thought alot about it last night before I went to sleep and although it sucks for the buyer I feel I did my due diligence. At one point if he hadn't agreed to pick it up that week I was debating keeping the aquarium and setting it up after I had filled it for leak testing. So I know I did everything in good faith and conscious.

I know it sucks for them but as someone else said, how can I be responsible for something outside of my control for a period of 2 weeks, for all I know it's an act of God. This is all I'm going to say on the matter. I appreciated everyone's advise and opinions.

LC8Sumi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. There is some passive-agression stuff going on in this thread. Not cool.

about the silicone grease. Lol. At work we clean the tanks with undiluted HCl. It is smoking yellow/green during the process. Something tells me that if that doesn’t make a dent to the silicone seam, then a little grease wouldn’t. You have to understand that once silicone is cured, nothing can disolve it (apart from long term, that is years of UV radiation, and even that is not an issue really with black silicone).
If you ever DIY’d something on your car that has a silicone gasket, you probably understand what I’m talking about:)

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Tank was water tested and filled for 3 days before it was sold with no issues. Water was filled up to the drain line and left there. Buyer inspected the tank and was given screen shots of it filling up, and it was filled when they came to pick up the tank.

For reference this was an Elos 120xl that was ~3 years old. Tank had been dry for about 1.5 years and I applied silicone grease to the seams after it was dried. No issues ever happened with this tank prior to sale.

How would you want this handled if it was you? How would you handle this if you were the seller. I'm conflicted because I know I sold the tank in good working order, and I don't have any control over what happened after it left my house.

I didn't read. the rest of the replies - so It wouldn't affect my comment.

My comment - Not your problem. Something could have happened with the move.

The rest of the story - I asked my LFS for a 200 gallon tank. said - yeah we will come get it (90 minute drive) - looked good - carried it in the house - LFS owner helped set it up - problem with stand - short story - 9 months later probs noted that night were worse - person said 'sorry' I said - all good - and moved forward. In my case I noted the problems day 1 - but once you've carried a 400lb tank up your steps at 10PM and filled it up - yea there's that. IMHO you're not at fault. Anything could have happened between when you sold and when they installed the tank

Stigigemla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wrote "I think maybe You ruined the tank with putting silicon grease on the seals."
I never suggested that the grease should solve the silicone seams. I suggested it might creep in between the seams and the glass.

What I should have wrote is that it is easy to check. If You can lift the seams the smallest bit with Your finger nails then my fear was correct.

If the seams sits OK then my theory was wrong. Easy to find out.

Sidvicious

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wrote "I think maybe You ruined the tank with putting silicon grease on the seals."
I never suggested that the grease should solve the silicone seams. I suggested it might creep in between the seams and the glass.

What I should have wrote is that it is easy to check. If You can lift the seams the smallest bit with Your finger nails then my fear was correct.

If the seams sits OK then my theory was wrong. Easy to find out.
“It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than open it and remove all doubt."

Works rather fittingly here. There was no need for your comment other than trying to stir the pot and make the seller out to be the "bad" guy or the culprit responsible for this unfortunate mishap. What you should have wrote is in quotes up above. Please use that advice going forward rather than trying to be an instigator on something you clearly know nothing about.

Keiki

AKA LACY ON RC
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think that was the case at all, but I do worry about bad blood in the community. It's relatively small here compared to where I originally started reefing (Dallas).

I understand their point of view and respect it. We all have differing opinions on how to handle situations. I thought alot about it last night before I went to sleep and although it sucks for the buyer I feel I did my due diligence. At one point if he hadn't agreed to pick it up that week I was debating keeping the aquarium and setting it up after I had filled it for leak testing. So I know I did everything in good faith and conscious.

I know it sucks for them but as someone else said, how can I be responsible for something outside of my control for a period of 2 weeks, for all I know it's an act of God. This is all I'm going to say on the matter. I appreciated everyone's advise and opinions.

Why would there be bad blood? You did what a good person would do and tested it and he saw it. He took it and 2 weeks later there is a leak. The leak could have been caused by many factors after it left your house.

They bought a used tank and they should know better that something can go wrong. We all take that chance when we try to save a buck.

The only reason there would be bad blood is if the "other" side started bad mouthing you. They just need to grow up and accept the fact that crap can happen after the fact and move on from here. If they were to say things then that would tell you a lot about their character. Hold your head high as you did nothing wrong and keep going forward.

Keiki

AKA LACY ON RC
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a leaking tank for free many years ago in college. It had a rim and was leaking from the bottom. I removed all the silicone inside and cleaned it well with vinegar then added new silicone. Since the bottom was leaking and would be under the sand anyways, I put a very large ugly bead across the bottom for more contact with the glass. It never leaked again.

I totally get that is not how a tank should be repaired but in college with no funds, a person doesn't always care.
I wouldn't be surprised if less than ethical people repaired tanks this way and sold them.

I also have had an old tank that leaked. We did the same thing except for the big ugly silicone. lol It didn't take all this sanding and polishing someone else mentioned. Maybe that's the professional way, but the way we both did it worked out just fine. I'm sure there are thousands of others that did it the same way without any issues.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 34.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back