Solorensis Dead This Morning - Mystery Wrasse the culprit?

kkelly007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there. I have an SPS dominant 105g peninsula reef tank that has been up and running for 1 1/2 years. I have two small tangs (Kole and Gem), two clowns, two Squamipinnis anthias, a diamond goby and a Yasha Haze goby. Last weekend I introduce a 3" solorensis wrasse and he immediately started swimming around and eating as if he had been in the tank for years and other than an occasional chase from by Kole tang, everyone was getting along very well. Yesterday, I added a small (2") mystery wrasse. The two wrasses showed no aggression towards each other and everyone still seemed to be fine. This morning when the lights came on, I couldn't find the solorensis wrasse. My wife spotted what appeared to be a fish wedged under one of the rocks that is part of my primary structure (my rock structure is resting on the bottom of the tank with sand poured around it). I fed a variety of foods and gave him an hour to come out, to no avail. I then went in after him and he was dead. I will say that he was really wedged under the rock, but I cannot imagine that he was stuck (can a fish get stuck?). There was no sign of physical trauma.

This is a real "mystery" (pun intended) and I'm wondering if the smaller mystery wrasse somehow killed him overnight. This would be surprising as the body mass of the solorensis was probably 2.5x that of the mystery wrasse, plus there was no sign of aggression with the lights went out last night, but who knows.

I'm also wondering if I had provided sufficient hiding places and I plan on introducing an additional rock or two against the overflow side of the tank.

Any thoughts or help would be much appreciated. Thank you!!

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guess is teh solorensis wrasse had something wrong with it before you acquired it. Fish can wedge themselves in some pretty tight places if they're disorented for whatever reason. That's also something another fish won't do if they kill a tank mate and from my experiences with mystery wrasses they're a fairly sociable species in general.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back