Soloution How to drill rock in tank for plugs

ATC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve been struggling for the last year trying to figure out how to get frag plugs in my rock without removing the rock from the tank or using glue I want to be able to remove and rearrange as necessary (my scape is glued and quite large). So as I was walking through lowes today getting materials for one of my jobs I had an epiphany. My solution worked incredibly well so I figured I would share here. Whole setup was about $35 without the drill so pretty cheap in the grand scheme of things here are the links to lowes itemso any who wish to replicate can. I used 2 extension since my tank is 24” deep but more or less or more can be used to accommodate different tanks

CFAA99DF-D0AE-4B9D-AC2C-0121F2CAB9B3.jpeg Use this idea at your own risk lol

Last edited:
OP
OP
ATC

ATC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I own a construction company I’ve drilled through much harder materials than reef rock Its all about patience super slow no pressure let the bit do the work. This rock is so soft the bits don’t drill they grind

Jedi Knghit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, I totally get it. I would just be really nervous about drilling in a glass box holding 75 gallons of water in my case.

Thanks for sharing the tip.

OP
OP
ATC

ATC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh don’t get me wrong I was nervous as hell but no risk no reward lol. But I also tested my theory with a plastic tote and a piece of loose rock first which gave me a boost of confidence. The worst part was The cleaner shrimp wanted to help

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 15 23.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.1%
Back