SOLVED! Alkalinity and Calcium potency inside a CaRx w/different pH's? | BRStv Investigates

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

What pH set point to you aim for in your CaRx?

Votes: 5 4.6%

Votes: 3 2.8%

Votes: 9 8.3%

Votes: 23 21.3%

Votes: 10 9.3%

Votes: 15 13.9%

Votes: 7 6.5%

Votes: 4 3.7%

Votes: 8 7.4%

Votes: 1 0.9%

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Higher than 7.2

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Lower than 6.2

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Don't use one, but getting interested.

Votes: 16 14.8%

• Total voters

ReefNerd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That might do the trick. I can tell you that I just shipped off an ICP-OES test for both the "tank water" feeding this reactor test as well as the effluent. We plan to give a hard look at the difference between the two results to see where and to what degree they are different. ;)

@randyBRS Did you ever do a video regarding the results of that ICP-OES test comparing tank water and calcium reactor effluent?

I would be really interested to see the results and what the increases/differences in trace elements between the two were

BayouReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just purchased everything I need for my CaRx. But I have a lot of questions. I have 145 gallons total water volume. Right now I am dosing BRS 2 part I am dosing 70 ml of each Alk and Calcium. If I run my Rx at 6.8 ph and a flow rate of 5ml a min that’s 7200 ml a day so if the numbers are correct that would mean that the 2part has more than 10 times the concentration as the reactor effluent. Is this correct?

blstravler

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just purchased everything I need for my CaRx. But I have a lot of questions. I have 145 gallons total water volume. Right now I am dosing BRS 2 part I am dosing 70 ml of each Alk and Calcium. If I run my Rx at 6.8 ph and a flow rate of 5ml a min that’s 7200 ml a day so if the numbers are correct that would mean that the 2part has more than 10 times the concentration as the reactor effluent. Is this correct?

You need to up your effluent flow and then increase your co2 slowly until you no longer need to dose to keep up. I have 100gal total volume and my effluent flow is 14ML and PH is 6.76 (using ARM media). My tank ALK is 8.5. Maybe try starting at 20ML and a PH of 6.8.

BayouReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks that helps because my tank is stable and starting something new scares the hell out of me. I have a Geo reactor with a second chamber reborn media, Carbon Doere regulator, Kamoer dosing pump, and the Milwaukee ph probe. So I am sure I have the right equipment. The starting ph and flow is the unknown. I will give those starting points a try. Thanks again for your help.
You need to up your effluent flow and then increase your co2 slowly until you no longer need to dose to keep up. I have 100gal total volume and my effluent flow is 14ML and PH is 6.76 (using ARM media). My tank ALK is 8.5. Maybe try starting at 20ML and a PH of 6.8.

blstravler

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would just hook all your equipment up and just get water going through. Adjust flow to 20ML a min - you can use the calibration mode on the Kamoer to make sure it is exactly 20ML. Then start with the co2 - maybe 20 bubbles a min and adjust the co2 up once a day to get your reactor PH to 6.8. However - 24hrs after you start the co2 check your tank Alk and your effluent Alk daily - add your two part as needed and in theory over time less 2 part will be needed. I kinda of did this - but I stopped my 2 part the minute I saw the CaRx start to take over and then I only adjusted the Kamoer and Co2. I never adjusted both the flow and the co2 at the same time. I would up the flow 1ML a day and over a few days if that didn’t get my Alk up in the tank I would then up the co2. Also always aimed to have my effluent Alk in the range of 17-20 DKH. Any higher and my media would start to turn to mud.

Also I don’t use a controller on my solenoid - however I do have my Neptune set up that if my PH gets too low in the reactor then it does shut it off. This is only for emergencies- if my PH in my reactor gets to 6.5 it stops co2 - at this point I would figure there is an issue with my Kamoer or my regulator has a big problem. Some people use a controller to turn the solenoid on and off constantly based off of PH reading but I use mine as more an emergency shut off.

BayouReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just hook all your equipment up and just get water going through. Adjust flow to 20ML a min - you can use the calibration mode on the Kamoer to make sure it is exactly 20ML. Then start with the co2 - maybe 20 bubbles a min and adjust the co2 up once a day to get your reactor PH to 6.8. However - 24hrs after you start the co2 check your tank Alk and your effluent Alk daily - add your two part as needed and in theory over time less 2 part will be needed. I kinda of did this - but I stopped my 2 part the minute I saw the CaRx start to take over and then I only adjusted the Kamoer and Co2. I never adjusted both the flow and the co2 at the same time. I would up the flow 1ML a day and over a few days if that didn’t get my Alk up in the tank I would then up the co2. Also always aimed to have my effluent Alk in the range of 17-20 DKH. Any higher and my media would start to turn to mud.

Also I don’t use a controller on my solenoid - however I do have my Neptune set up that if my PH gets too low in the reactor then it does shut it off. This is only for emergencies- if my PH in my reactor gets to 6.5 it stops co2 - at this point I would figure there is an issue with my Kamoer or my regulator has a big problem. Some people use a controller to turn the solenoid on and off constantly based off of PH reading but I use mine as more an emergency shut off.
THANKS! sounds like a good plan

AquamanE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is the effluent tested when HANNA only goes to 20. I know it has to be diluted, but what is the ratio? What is the process?

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is the effluent tested when HANNA only goes to 20. I know it has to be diluted, but what is the ratio? What is the process?

Thinking back to when I tested this one, I'm certain that most samples were diluted 1:1 with effluent to RODI. In those cases where I expected the result to be near or above 40ppm, I diluted with a 1:3 effluent to RODI. :)

AquamanE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then its divided or multiplied by....? Sorry. My math is horrendous.

I think in your examples it would be x2 or x4 Respectively .

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then its divided or multiplied by....? Sorry. My math is horrendous.
I think in your examples it would be x2 or x4 Respectively .

No problem at all. :)

For a 1:1 ratio (or 50% dilution), I would use 5mLs effluent and 5mLs RODI water. The resulting number would be multiplied by 2x in order to get the proper reading. Example: If my 50% diluted sample tested at 15dKH, the actual potency would be 30dKH.

For a 1:3 ratio (or 75% dilution), I would use 2.5mLs effluent and 7.5mLs RODI water. The resulting number would be multiplied by 3x to get the proper reading. Using the same example at a 75% dilution... a reading of 15dKH would actually be 45dKH.

I hope I made that easy to understand. :D ***It's not the most exact/scientific way to approach dilutions and measurements, but it's close enough for our hobby kits and "reef" science.

AquamanE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem at all. :)

For a 1:1 ratio (or 50% dilution), I would use 5mLs effluent and 5mLs RODI water. The resulting number would be multiplied by 2x in order to get the proper reading. Example: If my 50% diluted sample tested at 15dKH, the actual potency would be 30dKH.

For a 1:3 ratio (or 75% dilution), I would use 2.5mLs effluent and 7.5mLs RODI water. The resulting number would be multiplied by 3x to get the proper reading. Using the same example at a 75% dilution... a reading of 15dKH would actually be 45dKH.

I hope I made that easy to understand. :D ***It's not the most exact/scientific way to approach dilutions and measurements, but it's close enough for our hobby kits and "reef" science.
EXCELLENT- thank you. I’m an avid BRSTV fan and follower. And Your my default store for that very reason. You guys provide a lot of education to the reefing community And its appreciated.

Keep up the good work!!!!

Last edited:

PigFarmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dastaco reactor.. ph what? :) Love it! Best piece of equipment I run!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I'm running the Vertex Reactor with Two little fishies reborn, Kamoer pump pulling configuration and electronic carbon doser. I have my ph set at 6.8 and 54ml a minute on the Kamoer and its keeping my Alk at 8.5 pretty rock solid.

Lave my vertex and using the same media

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back